Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My babies (6, 8 & 10yrs old) are with me for the week. 10yr old girl came with nothing but flip-flops. Phoned her mother Sun (Father's day) asking for proper shoes since she wanted a ride. Mother refused, because girlfriend was going to drive my boys... unapproved babysitter. My brother & sister stepped up, drove my boys, and I had to make an extra stop to buy my girl some proper shoes. Kids spent the day with me & girlfriend anyway, got rides like they wanted, but I had to buy shoes and brother & sister were inconvenienced. Irritating. Children begged for another ride today, and I am going to inconvenience my mother tomorrow night to provide them one. None of you have ever enjoyed a motorcycle more than this girl:

At 10, she is putting her weight on her legs crossing RR tracks, and I have not yet taught her that. All in all, best Father's day I have had, despite all the bullshit.

Thank you. Rant over.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Shouldn't sweat it much . Head out to Walmart or something and pick her up a pair of boots she can keep at your place . Consider it the subtle middle finger to the refusing mom . :D

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
look on the bright side: your kids wanna spend time with you doing the stuff you like to do, and your family has your back.

i say this from being on the other end of this as a kid: dont give up regardless of the hoops that baby mama makes you jump for your kids. they need their dad around--not that you need any instruction, you seem to be doing just fine.

ps. i didnt know anyone still lived in michigan. pls explain.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Not every Dad would go to the effort man, kudos.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stupid. MI has no age limit for passengers at all, which is good... 8 & 10yr olds LOVE the bikes. A couple years ago someone phoned the police on me, because my then 4yr old son was riding with me. Cop said he was good, as long as he could reach the pegs & had a proper helmet. There's no shortage of idiots out there doing whatever they can to take all the enjoyment out of life.

As for my Weekend situation... Thanks for the comments. We did buy her some shoes, and on her own, girl decided she should keep them here - just in case. Nice to know she's paying attention to who's doing what. She & I & my son are looking forward to another short ride this evening, thanks to a little help from my Mom.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
thats really cool. the helmet is excellent. that girl is going to be big trouble!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
who couldnt love a dad with a name like "judy" LOL !!! and by the way..........thanks for being a good dad. your kds will never forget it. mine are 22,19,17 and they are all good with a certain panache. and believe it or not, they think im cool with my bikes and cars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't resist posting up my little one on the bike. My wife made me give my word, that I won't take her riding any time soon. That's gonna be a hard promise to keep.

·
Registered
204 Posts
oh my goodness y'all have some absolutely adorable kids.
i can't imagine the frustration of her trying to ruin your time and your kids' time. she's lucky that she's got an ex who actually wants to be around for the kids. thumbs up to you for being an awesome dad, and happy father's day.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Gringo, get that girl off the bike until she has some proper footwear on!

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Some of my fondest memories of my father were the bike rides he took me on as a kid....and I don't have many memories...he's still alive and we are closer now than we were then....but the rides were something that stuck with me for life.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
86 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

Hey Gringo, get that girl off the bike until she has some proper footwear on!
The riding uniform of the HD set in south Florida is as follows.
Flip-flops
shorts
muscle T
no helmet
tribal and/or flame tatoos

She's got to stop those damn growth spirts before she gets some proper Rocker's leather.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
When my Ex started making noises about a divorce (10 years ago now), I pretty much went off the deep end emotionally. Having grown up in a pretty wacky family with seemingly more then its share of problems, keeping "my" family together was everything.

As the Ex's agenda intensified, life seemed out of control (at least mine) and I was angry, heartbroken, sacred and confused. With all this confusion and anxiety churning in my head one night, I couldn't sleep, so went for a walk.

As uncertain and painful as the future seemed, horror of horrors I realized I couldn't control my wife, my family, or much else. But I was devastated that she seemed hell bent on destroying the family.

Then it occurred to me. Yeah, the family going to change. Yeah, life's going to be a bit of a mess. Yeah, everything's all fucked up, and not perfect.

BUT, with all change coming down the pike, one thing SHE can't change. I will always be those children's father. And only I can determine what kind of Father I am, and will be.

With that realization, fear gave way to some measure of peace. When it comes to being a Dad, the ball is always in MY court.

Whatever the familial challenge I was facing, I always have tried to keep that in mind.

Judey,
Sounds like you are a great Dad, and you're doing a great job. Keep doing the right thing, and don't get sucked into the Ex's BS.

Sorry for the walk down memory lane, this thread was a bit of a flash back for me.

Cheers,
Leo

PS- BTW, when it comes to the kids, it's all important.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
+1 on Leo's comment: when it comes to the kids, it's all important.
the applicable old truism from the teaching biz is: on the open house night, you always see the parents that you don't need to see.

going for a ride on the back of a bike implies a level of trust that is not an automatic. It's great that you to can share in the adventures. keep up the good work. cheers, bcr

1 - 17 of 17 Posts