Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed an iron butt license plate frame on a modern fully dressed bike today and had a thought: While still challenging, it's considerably less impressive when someone completes the iron butt challenge on a brand new cruiser outfitted with all the comforts of modern technology.

It's far more of an achievement for someone to complete the challenge on a naked cruiser or sport bike/tourer... windshield optional.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Not on point I know but it's something that I just wouldn't get into. Maybe 30 years ago. I did some sun up to sun down days back then on a bone stock 67 Bonneville. We did a couple 700+km days on the big ride this summer and even that was less than enjoyable by the end of the day. Took a motel just to make up for it. I know I could do it. I just don't know why I would do it. Hookers and beer? Nah even that would be 30 years ago.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I thought it was a rite of passage for the BMW touring guys.

Speaking of, see the BMW baggers?

I would do Chicago to KC and back (500m each leg) about twice a year when i was in school. On a Zx11 it was a hoot. I think about doing it again once in a while, maybe when I get done with trackdays...

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my issue with the challenge itself is that i feel that the risks increase exponentially over the course of the challenge as fatigue mounts... far more than in a car/truck.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Although 1000 miles in 24 hours is difficult I agree that it's easier on today's machines.

The bun burner 1500 is tougher for older fat guys like me....even on a comfy bagger or Wing. Maybe the SaddleSore 2000 or 3000 is tougher on a bagger. Either way 1000 miles in 24 hours is still quite the accomplishment.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
So do you want to seriously ride the thing or make a big deal out of sitting on it all day ;)
Trials riders never sit down and we measure travel distance in vertical feet.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
While working as a Dispatch Rider between 1987 and 2002 I covered in the region of 1.1 million miles.
Clocked up 800 miles a day a good few times, not sure I'd have wanted to do more than that though.
Other than the cold the hardest thing was trying to keep concentrating, sometimes it was hard enough to just stay awake.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every rider has a point at which they transition from taking risks to straight gambling

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Records exist for a reason and for some this is a perfectly achievable record, and why not?

Personally I would rather get the iron testicle award for a speed record at bonneville than the iron butt on public roads.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be when I leave my driveway. Lots of folks around here that go completely blind when you put a windshield in front of them. Time for a dash cam....
it depends... I learned early on in my career (thankfully not the hard way) the difference between a risk and a gamble...

A risk is when you've considered the hazards or anything that might go wrong and taken steps to mitigate or eliminate them (wearing all your gear and conducting a pre-ride inspection for example).
A gamble is when you take an action without an updated or even considered assessment of the dangers.

Risks are acceptable, gambles are generally not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts