Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha! I thought that'd get your attention.. Just kidding, well, sort of.

I've got two issues -

First one being that I need to get a new set of upper fork tubes for these CB450 forks I'm using. I can't seem to find a used set anywhere specifically for them. Can anyone comment on any others that might work? I'm also looking for little black dust covers for them as well.

Second, has anyone stiffened up their front shocks with a small piece of PVC at the top? I've done this on my dirt bikes and it works well...just not sure if it's sub-standard in this arena.

Tks, Jason

...i did it one piece at a time

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Forking by Frank will sell you a new set for 250 bucks. If you have K5-K7, I found a site that will sell you a set online for about 150 bucks, but you pay 40 or 50 in shipping from Italy.

Your best bet is to find another set (depending on your model year) that are similar in length and diameter. Yours will be either 33mm or 35mm, and for the 35mm, at least, CB750 forks fit in fine, but bear in mind that a front-end swap involves brake hassles and other fun stuff. It's much easier and cheaper to find a set you can clean up than muck about with re-fitting, trust me (cause that's what I did).

A CB550 front end would work pretty good, too, I think, if you have a 35mm frontend.

My CB450 project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info, I'll check with frank.

I think your missunderstanding me though. I just need to replace the upper tubes. The rest of my front end is good to go.

...i did it one piece at a time

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
jason,

no hub ductile iron is the plumbing code here in philly.

if you go with pvc, make sure you run schedule 40, or you'll never pass tech......

lol

texy

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
no, I don't misunderstand - the CB450 and 500T have fork tubes particular to those models alone - when I said 250, I meant just the upper fork tubes.

unless you can find a nice cheap set on ebay or in a junkpile someplace, these are your options. trust me, I just went through this. I wish you better luck than I had.

My CB450 project:
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

1 - 5 of 5 Posts