Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'd take me a GB just because I'm a honda guy. Not to mention those wheels are gastly looking and something with the tank just gives me a bad taste in my mouth after looking at it. The seat section looks kinda MX'ish also. Do the GB's come stock like that cause that's a beautiful bike.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I don't know if the GB came stock like that but if it did I'd have in a flash. I did own an SRX and loved it. I hated the Yamaha wheels with a passion but the motor was a single lovers joy. I'd have another if I could find a decent one.

By weslake at 2008-04-18

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I have never owned either, but I have raced both. On the track the SRX has better handling, power and brakes. On the street, they are both nice but the SRX fit me better. Given the choice I would go with the SRX. I have a Honda Ascot.

Ken

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Yamaha SRX. I know I should like the GB honda but it leaves me cold. The SRX is fugly and doesn't care, I'd flog it like a rented mule. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
My brother had a GB. What a hoot. Sold it to finance a bathroom remodel (we no longer talk). I've never ridden an SRX, but I'd have to cast my vote in favor of the Honda on looks alone. I remember lusting after that bike when it first came out.

·
Registered
569 Posts
GB, had one in the garage, 'in the crate' never put together, sold it ... GB is still on my short list...

dch.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
To answer the question, YES GB's did come looking just like that black and gold model above. It was honda's attempt to build a british single in the 1980s. In the us market they all came one way black and gold, open front, 500ccs, in other markets they had 400 and 500 variants, a dunstall style fairing (which looks drop dead gorgeous), and may have come in other colors (I have heard rumors of Dark green and Dark blue as an option but cannot confirm it - all with gold pinstripes).

It is a hard call. Knowing how you ride in NYC rosko has me leaning to the SRX, but if you could promise me that you would park it in a sheltered garage and not treat it like your SV then the GB gets the nod.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the later srx with the single shock. no question. easier to get parts, more modern, and i think cooler looking. but then, i look at a pile of them over at buckys all the the time.

turnbulls got a very clean gb with a 650 motor in it. but it took some work to get it figured out and keep it stock looking. next year i want to race buckys, just once.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
It seems clear to me that Yamaha was building a modern performance single. Just look at it, triple disc brakes vs single disc and drum on the Honda. Honda was building a tribute to the older Brit "classics".
I agree that the Honda is a prettier bike, but I'd choose the Yamaha, especially that Silver one. You usually see the red one like Hoof's, which is OK too.
Yeah, anyway, I like the statement that Yamaha was making with that bike. They had already done the tribute bike, the SR500, so this was more like, "how do you like me now?".

·
Registered
692 Posts
OOoohh ! This is a no brainer . An SRX will blow the doors off a GB500 hands down . Better power , better handling , better everything . The only reason it died so early in this country is because a lot of slothy mullet headed motherfuckers were too lazy to kickstart and the whole " Bigger is better " idea. An SRX parked next to a FZ600 at the time folks I guess got all flamwoozled at the graphics and fairing . Silly bastards .
I know I loved mine . Great bike . It was maple red ( the only color in the states ) but I wound up getting it done Mercedes Metallic Black.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The odd thing about the SRX is that the euro SRX was 604cc and the U.S. model was 595cc. The reason being the 595cc motor from the XT was EPA certified and Yamaha didn't expect to sell too many. So they didn't bother to get the 604cc motor certified. Wanker is right. The lack of electric start and only one cylinder killed it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The SRX is the biz. The Honda is ultimately poseur nostalgia. ( Which I'm usually a big fan of). I'm also not convinced it's as pretty as it's cracked up to be. Visually I find it blocky and dense.

But embracing the minimalist, cafe philosophy of form following function, and on the sliding scale of all the previously stated opinions, The Yamaha is actually one of the few relatively new bikes I would love to have in my stable.

Cheers,
Leo

ps- it's interesting to me that both bikes, while seemingly on the fringe of the marketplace, have both held their values very well. Cool is cool. And any reasonably handsome big single is timeless.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That new Derbi really had me pining for a single for a minute. I had found a GB in good nick last year. Took it for a test ride and when I returned the owner, instead of saying "so what do you think?" or something similar he just says "I can't do it"

I totally understood.

That said my SV is spoken for and if anyone has or comes across an SRX or GB for sale at a ghetto fabulous price please shoot me an email!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
That Derbi has had me pining for more than a minute. Smart owner. I let my SRX go. At least i was smart enough to hold on to the Norton.

P.S. I wish you hadn't started this thread. I'm having sellers remorse even though it was 12 years since I sold it. The worse part is I know where it is and I've known the current owner for 25 years.

By weslake at 2008-11-06

·
Registered
347 Posts
what about the mz skorpion? updated and overbored srx with stiffer frame? or theres always the duc supermono 570.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Well, If we are going to go wandering off I might as well throw in the ultimate single.

By weslake at 2008-11-06

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Rosko,
Are you interested in a street single? I recommend the Ascot. The motor is the equal of the SRX for street use. The handling needs to be upgraded a little but is very easy. A CBR600 front end and wheels practically bolt right on along with a good set of shocks. I have my eye on another one right now for $300 on craigslist here in Minneapolis. There are a ton of motor performance parts available and they are way easy to work on. I can set you up with one with CBR wheels on it for a fair price if you want.

Ken

1 - 20 of 23 Posts