Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I've just reread all 100 postings and wanted to summarize things... only a day late. I copied all the text to Word and then condensed the ideas down to make a list of unique ideas, I immediately dropped only a few. Some of the suggestions are actually rules committee issues and should be handled through that process (which starts in Oct.), the important ones I'll list anyways. Summarizing things there are obvious groupings of ideas: 1) rules, 2) administration / organizational issues, 3) Venues and Schedule, 4) promotional ideas. Let's look at them:

1) rules
a) Drop Cosmo, replace with 80GP
b) EX / GS 500 any wheels
c) ninja 250's
d) drop 125gp
e) drop or change American Twins
f) open up (again) singles

2) organizational / administrative
a) paper rule book / pdf on web
b) consistent rule change process / clear process
c) consistent entry form (online)
d) consistent schedule each event (as much as possible)
e) Online entries with payment via MC / Visa / Paypal
f) Make Eve's life easier
g) membership cards mailed EARLY in season
h) Stop mailings (online only)
i) Transponders / scoring / lap times
j) 3 year memberships
k) reliable contacts via phone / email

3) Venues / Schedules
a) NJMP
b) BeaverRun
c) continue / expand endurance race (2?)
d) End of year race of champions / special event
e) More weekend events
f) Race school is important to continue
g) Gunstock

4) Promotional
a) Club store (hats, stickers, posters, tees, patches)
b) end of year raffle
c) Event sponsors
d) videos on website

So from this long list what can we (yes us, actually you reading this) do right away. It seems to me that the rules take care of themselves... there is a rules committee meeting at the banquet, it is generally open and you are welcome to come, state your case (or via a written doc if you can't be there.) A lot of the suggestions have real merit. There is a general feeling we need to reduce classes and not expand, but still need to expand participation. The EX/GS issues will be settled in order to bring more of these bikes and riders into the club. Anyways rules are separate.

Some administrative ideas just need to be discussed with Eve and Bob, which I'll do... no reason to NOT have 3 year memberships... just need to change the forms to include that option. No reason to not have membership cards mailed early enough so people have them for Daytona! Other ideas require more work:

1) Website, Rob has been doing a fine job keeping things going, but everyone agrees its time for an update. I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings to know how hard online registration is, but at least a group of people can find out (sounds like Aaron has already done a bunch). Let's hope that Rob has the energy to lead a small group of people (he might need some volunteers, so speak up if you have web design experience or want to learn) to see what can be done and I'll see if Eve (who is the most important person in this matter) would be willing to be part of the team (ie: website / online registration committee). Online club store, promotional materials, videos, email a question that gets sent out to a list of people automatically, so you get a human instead of an answering machine?

2) new venue committee - I lean towards NJMP, but Beaver is an option, Watkins and Poconos comes up each time we talk about this, but for now, lets focus on NJMP and Beaver. I've asked Seth Rosko to lead up a committee to get more info from NJMP. I did this last year and the dates available were unattractive. It is really expensive, but so is NHMS. The only way we will convince Bob to hold an event there is to have it pay for itself in advance. I suggest we think about options like (100$/race before Jan 1st, 125$/race before May 1st, 150$/race thereafter.) Those numbers were just made up. So if you want to play you pony up. This is the only way we'll have the $$ for the deposit. Deposit is the big problem with new tracks, they want the $$ upfront and immediately to hold a date. My other idea is to have a call for people to sponsor the event. Like I'd chip in 500$ for the NJMP event, but I want my name on the tee-shirt and I get to race for free... if 10 of us are in, then we probably can reserve it... etc. A full weekend at NJMP runs like 25k$, and the deposit will be 50%, so we need a lot of cash! yes it could be great, but we really need to do our homework. Perhaps Craig or Amanda could help Seth with this, since Craig suggested BEaverun, I haven't heard back from Seth, so hopefully this public putting him on the spot will not scare him too bad. He's probably set my email up to go directly into the trash...

3) Transponders / scoring. I really do think they are the way to go... I estimate we have at times as many as 6 volunteers working to score and do the results... results being the very difficult part, though scoring in the sun ain't fun either... Anyways what could those voluteers be doing if they weren't scoring... helping at registration, racing, corner working. The AMB Tranx260 system looks like it runs about 7500$ for the decoding box, and 350-400$ for each transponder... This is tough for new people. Its a lot of cash for the club too. Is anyone willing to get in touch with AMB for a real price, and also with http://zoomius.com/ti/zoomius/index.html who makes a competing cheaper system? This is probably a one-person job. Everyone is going with AMB, so another system at this point may be a mistake unless it is really inexpensive. Anyone, anyone, anyone?

Thanks for all the great input and kind words, we really owe a huge debt to Bob, he works very tirelessly on USCRA. There is far more behind the scenes work then we can imagine, I know it consumes all his time and he does truly care about making this the premiere vintage racing group in the US. Many times we've talked about transponders and his first concern is how many racers will have difficult affording the new equipment and will then drop out of racing because they need a 400$ box.

PS: I'd like to see Bob out in the endurance race or back on one of his sidecars...

Enough for tonight,
Karl

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Most Excellent summary Karl.

I've available for any webwork. My coding skillz are very limited, but I'm savy to file types, conversions, formating, spreadsheets, graphics etc. I can do any boring repeatative stuff.

I won't be racing next year (will probably only make one event), that leaves me some time for USCRA home work should any be needed.

Any news on possible changes at NHMS? Like dirt track, kart track, mini-track...anyone?
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i have an industry contact with AMB and will be more than happy to call him.

i also volunteer to be apart of seth's advance team for NJMP as i may have an inroad there as well.

thanks for the summation and all the work so far.

tex

p.s. - shouldn't 125gp just get moved to the expanded singles class (i.e. - no class within a class, but all the same race).

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i think that works fine in a modern club, but a place where youll have srx's and mz scorpians, instead of a bunch of crf's a gp125bike would clean house. but i think they should all run together maybe. id say depends on the entries.

me

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
good point. i was just trying to keep up with the mantra of INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE!

sometimes things have to be killed. probably tougher for karl to kill the 125gp class than anyone here.

cheers,

tex

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Joe, wow, that RFID timing seems to me to be the wave of the future. I'm betting it totally replaces current transponder systems within a few years. Could be just the ticket for us.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
227 Posts
Karl; lots of great ideas in your summary; thanks for the effort!

I'm available for some web work; have experience with all aspects including the programming but little with storefront stuff. How about several people to update the web site? The overall format is OK; it just needs more interesting (and timely) content. FYI; embedding videos in a web page is easy; I put Jeff Hoyt;s son's video up with my pix for that date and it worked well. Gotta have the files in Shockwave for Flash format.

Beth

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
sorry to jack the thread. might be a little early to jump on the rfid bandwagon but its pretty cool. maybe wait a year or 2. those guys are going to make a lot of people look like fools if it takes off. just that karl seemed to nail this thing right off. hes probably got some vested interest in it. now that his other project is off the ground he can focus on other things again. whatever it does.

sorry, im kind dumb when it come to these things. i wish someone could actually explain what it is this thing does to me. micro blackholes??? is that like the brown barking spider?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/science/11collider.html?hp

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
dude,

this stuff is basic science 101. you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand it, even the english major figured it out. case in point, i just installed a micro LHC particle collider in my new state of the art, 80GP derbi/reiju vtwin. if i can't win i will vaporize the field with a proton beam.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ALL OF YOUR 80GP TROPHIES WILL BE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(still funny)

texy

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
rosko,

call me as i need your numbys.

(lost my cell)

need to have a pow-wow on the next steps for NJMP.

peace,

texy

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Joe, I agree 100%....there's gonna be a lot of pissed people left holding expensive balls if that RFID thing takes off. And I think it will.
A lap top, some cable, a few antennas and a box of RFID tags....could be done for $3-4000 I bet....including several hundred tags....instead of people spending $40,000 on transponders. (100 x $400).
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i think they use those things for some tolls around the state. it looks like a upc code, stuck on the side car window.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the 3rd smartest person i know sent this to me to explain it.

so nice of them to break it down this way.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that was about the funniest thing ive seen all day. and i saw that video of the woman talking about the police give the dead guy ups to save him.

jc

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
afterthought:

replace modern 125gp with supervintage 125?

no other club has a competitive class for the late 70's early 80's WATER COOLED 125's. Late (WC) mt125r, early rs125, and early tz125 g&h. These machines are going on 30 years old now.

just an idea, since no other group runs these it could bring out new people or at least a group of new machines.
1979 mt125r WC:

1980 TZ125g:

1980 RS125:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts