Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I'm asking here before soliciting ideas from other sources, since there is a bit of an outsider attitude amongst the caferacer elite, which is good. Outsiders develop new ideas and have insights into how to do things better. It is time to start thinking about USCRA 2009 and how we can change things if changes are needed. This past season has been pretty successful with a new 2-day event and good attendance and a lot of new members arriving on the scene.

What would you like to see for next year? Any suggestions on how to improve things? These same questions will be posed to everyone through the newsletter, but I wanted to hear some grassroots bitching to guide thinking before we open up the suggestion box to everyone.

Thanks
karl

My thoughts:
1) same schedule at NHMS
2) drop the spring giro
3) 1 new event or track day in NJ
4) work on a combined championship with the Canadians
5) more than 1 endurance race!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
1) Keep the same schedule for each event. Two day events just repeat the schedule.
2) Use the same entry form for each event.
3) Get Rob the updated rules so he can post them on the website and attract new riders.
4) Allow 17" wheels for EX500s and GS450/500s in whatever the class is called.
5) Couldn't give a rats ass about the Giro. I want to race, not maintain another crappy streetbike.
6) Work with a local vendor to bring in VP race gas so that people driving long distances can get gas in the morning before practice. That nascar gas sucks.
7) Make some change to the Cosmo cup class to make Matt's bike legal. If not, then add ANOTHER modern class that allows anything up to 80cc. Make it a contructor's free-for-all.
8) Give a bike thanks to Vile for creating his results/point matrix.
9) Tell Rob to finish up his website redesign.
10) Speaking of which... online entries, using paypal for payment? Would this make Eve's life easier?

I used to love the Am/Can races.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
my bike is legal....

rieju motor with 72cc pro race guts
18" wire wheels with rain tires (race tires are encouraged)
1964 yamaha frame modified to accept my rieju motor.

there is nothing in the rules that say i cannot do what i have done. the nonbelievers are just grumpy cause they are lazy and are not flexing their creative sides.

matt

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
1 new event or track day in NJ -yes please

My [understanding] is that the giro brings in money that’s used to support the club and helps keep entry fees down at the track

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
1. give bike thanks to branson for creating the matrix.
2. honestly, i'd bet no one has any say about whether or not there is a spring giro or not.
3. tell rob to finish up his website redesign

The same schedule at NHMS? why not more racing? What did we do this year, 4 events?

But seriously . . . . Karl, why even have this conversation? Is there even a possibility (ie a chance in hell) that any possible change can come about to your first 4 items? I hate to be pessimistic, I'd love more folks to show up at VIR, or for us to have a combined meet with the Canadians, but I just don't see there being an "organization" that is willing to do the work or can bring about "change". For instance, I am getting phone calls every other day for the past two weeks from people all over the country trying to figure out how to register for the fall giro. They all say the same thing . . . "I can't get in touch with . . . . I can't get a response from . . . No one answers my emails ." I am just on the USCRA web page as a newsletter guy (and I quit) and these folks can't get an answer. I'll stop there. email me off line if you want. I have a lot of ideas. But what's the point.

PS did Craig drop off the b"stone?

Midge, the fees would be exactly the same. The giro probably finances the giro. But no one knows, right?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
great ideas

1) Again try to get XR100s approved without detracting from Period participation or competing for track time.

2) Ditto on the EX500 front wheel 17" allowance. Allow GS500s too since they are performance indexed appropriately.

3) 2 FCB races per event, just like sidecars!

4) Giro what?

5) 1 (Roby) Canadian coming down during the entire racing schedule does not make for a series. Drop the Can/Am idea due to travel cost.

6) Posters, stickers, patchs, T-shirts, club promotion, etc. Club store.

7) Keep the track/school days for new rider promotion.

8) Save the club's money and stop mailing entry forms. Who isn't online these days? The Paypal idea is great.

9) Ditch trophies for some events or give some credit towards future events.

10) reward volunteers in some fashion.

11) Pre-grid tech inspections every time a bike goes on the track, inline with VRRA and AHRMA, might prevent costly downtime and accidents for all.

12) USE TRANSPONDERS! The price would not deter participants. VRRA, WERA and AHRMA will all be using them in 2009.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Mine:

Since it seems to be getting harder to find the bodies willing to do the work necessary to create one giro, let alone two, drop one of them. Though I can see where it should create some additional funds for the USCRA which should help offset racing costs.

Two areas I hear a lot of bitching about. Overall schedule. If there's a riders meeting scheduled for 8:30 why is 9:10 acceptable? Especially when practice is scheduled for 9:00. Is there a valid reason that things can't be started on time? Other than that's the way it's always been. And Registration. There must be some way to make that faster.

Same schedule is a no brainer. Do it.

How about a new event at BeaveRun instead of NJ? You'd get a better chance at getting more Canadians to travel there. And there's a lot of WERA racers that already go there. Hasn't the NJ track set it's price higher than either NHMS or Beaverun?

I've never raced an endurance race but I've come 180 degrees on my feelings on them. It's a unique event that the USCRA could capitalize on. Do more of them - if the time can be made available.

But all this being said, the USCRA is what it is. If you want to race a vintage-ish bike with no stress this is the place to be. If your bike doesn't quite fit in the rules bring it out anyhow.

Craig

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
PS did Craig drop off the b"stone?

I got stopped at the New York border on the way home by a guy that said he was taking the Bridgestone as a hostage until he got his own set of pipes. I'm not sure who it was but he had a NY accent and was bigger than me. I didn't argue.

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
transponders, yes. absolutely. how many other clubs are going to use them before the uscra finally figures out its the way to go. also means less volunteers.

same schedule, why change it to begin with?

endurance race, i think one is fine.

drop a giro. its a racing club, people should be volunteering to support the races. especially if the margin isnt really good. enough of this break even crap. it just wastes volunteers and takes away from the heart of the club, the racers.

hot tech i dont think is really needed.

17s for ex's yes

id love to see the xr100s run with the 50's, even a parking lot event or pit bike races on the night before etc...id bring mine for sure.

NJ.....ABSOLUTELY! AND NOT E-TOWN. beaver run is closer to a lot of club members who race on a very regular basis than nhis is. so is summit. and if there are going to be issues about setting up your pits, and driving in, and if they cant get their heads out of their asses about the gas pumps, the only thing making me want to go back is the people. they have fucking 80 million dollr signs on 106, with leds and fibre optics and shit, but you cant put a credit card into the gas pump. wtf?? how about supporting the racers a little. njmp is supposed to be a 3 day rental. that wont happen if this is true. you will also bring in other riders, i think, from a race at other places. make being a member more attractive. like, only give t-sirts to members, not every entry. with a membership, you get points, an event tshirt, a news letter and a sticker. i know a lot of people who race at summit from jersey and or western pa. has the thought ever crossed your mind that maybe other clubs dont have reciprocity because the uscra doesnt offer them anything?? offer a race a beaver, and give away points for wera members. ill help get that going with the wera vintage crew to pressure mongo and evelyn. dont ask for anything back. and dont make that race the same weekend, the weekend before, or after a wera race. duh. how about an april race?? no mid atlantic vintage races as far as i know.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
and oh yeah, iloved the am/can races. seems like our side goes there more than they do here. so im not sure its a good thing to just put on the schedule just yet. maybe have a web page with a poll to get an idea from the canadians.

jc

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Transponders- hell yes. Less scoring volunteers needed?

Canadien participation is down, at least among the sidecar folks, because it's too far to travel for a one day event. Usually a weekeday that's not a holiday up there. I'd rather have multiday events anyway. The overall feeling after Monday is 1 day isn't enough time to spend with these good friends.

Don't care about the Giro. Glad the participants have a good time but if a penny of race revenue i.e. track rental money goes to it, it's wrong.

I'd travel to NJ if it was a real track- not a karting facility.

Promo materials-stickers, posters, anything. How many times has Rosko asked to help promote the club at the shows and rallies he attends and been ignored.

Put XR100's in the 50cc class somewhere. I don't own one but it looks like a great amount of fun and a natural compliment.

American Twins- nice idea that didn't catch on. Is there some other spec class that could be created, like the EX500 which are growing, to capture some LRRS oldies such as Honda Hawks.

Paypal is a great idea too.

Tell the 3 amigos Matt's bike is legal. As these Cosmo bikes break down parts are nearly impossible to find. Nothing is in stock and it's a weird size. We gooped up a fork seal to stop the leak because there was no replacements availible and had to get a cracked brake rotor welded for the same reason.
A little breathing room will keep the class healthy.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
funky spec classes that race only with the USCRA is a dangerous investment if you ask me. If the EX500s can race places besides the USCRA then it might not be a bad thing but if you invest a lot of time and money in an American Twins bike that can race three events a year... With the sportsters you should be able to get parts until the end of time but the Cosmo cup bike are going to get real tough real fast. A cosmo cup because cosmo had a bunch of bikes to dump? And you can't get fork seals already? What happens when you need piston rings?

Is there realy a need to create more classes? Where are you going to put more races in a day? You've already got 14 races, how many more before you start making 6 lap races. Or do like AHRMA and have four lap races to fit in their 16 race schedule? Are you going to bring in more racers or are you going to have folks park one bike and race a different one without any additional racers on the track? I don't think I'd still be willing to hop in the car for a six hour drive to race in a four lap event.

Everyone seems ready to jump on the transponder bandwagon. They are great - if the organization is all set to use them. Or is willing to make the investment to use them. AHRMA's cost is going to be over $15,000 to the organization to start using them. And that can be spread among the 6000 members. Where does the USCRA get that money to fund that investment? And that's not the purchase of the transponder itself. That's the cost for the software to run the scoring. Are you going to increase race fees to pay for that? Or have a giro a month to help cover the costs? Maybe sell another 10 tee shirts per event? I just can't see it ever happening.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
one more. Can/Am cup - where do the P4 Canadian racers play into this? We don't have a place for them to come play. That's become a very large part of their club. And a completely non-existant part of our organization.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
does vrra have that many more members? i have no idea. ive seen things on the web, club bbs's mentioning they are less than 8k. ahrma, to use them, would have to put them at every track they use. (like some of the tracks dont have them already....). since the uscra only races at nhmp, they wouldn't have to get the loop. my guess also is that ahrma needs more than one system. wera has several with the national schedule they run. the uscra would need one only. too many groups, of various types use the system. we only have excuses not to. people seem to maek it a big deal, it cant be as much of one as its made out to be. it just cant be. and there are enough people who have them already that i dont think it'd be that big of a deal for the remainder to by them for the members.

wera has almost eliminated their manual scorers at summit and vir. it is not the pain in the ass it once was. why do you think my bike has 6" numbers now? it takes a little more work at registration, but it makes it more automated in the end. cost is not really a good excuse, i dont believe. i have to buy things that are expensive for me to run my shop all of the time. things i will rarely use. but when i need them, i cant do without them. why would you not move into the 21st century, and just do it. almost every single other club out there uses them. why is the uscra so special that they cant? up the entry fees. how many entries were there this past weekend? 100? 150? 20 bucks on top of every entry for the transponder system. by the end of the season, the $$ would be there. then make the system mandatory the following year.

you know, on second thought, maybe they should just focus on getting out a rulebook.

jc

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
My big area of concern is the rules. If your going to have rules, abide by them. There is always going to be a class or two that someone wishes existed. But if you get to the track and the club owner agrees that your bike meets the rules but just doesn't like the style of bike you have so you can't race it doesn't fly. Thats not an organization, thats an old boys club. If the rules need to be changed there has to be better warning.

- I'm for 17s on the EX500
- transponders
- 3/5 year memberships at a little lower price
- Have Karl take over the club, he seems to give a shit.
- bringing back motard in singles
- same bloody schedule
- race of champions like we did before
- allowing xr80s back in 50s or starting an xr100 club. I had over 30 emails for wheels after the race the Jeremy and I ran on xr80s. I had to tell everyone who wanted wheels that I can build them but sent them off to ESMRA.com.
- parades with Branson and his dogs riding around the track.

Rob - try getting the bank account info for online reg from the boss. I wrote the pages already. No one would give that up. If you do get that info I will forward you what I did to save you time.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts

aarons right on all parts. however, i think branson should parade in a thong.

it was funny when people thanked henry for buying and blowing up the 160 at the trophy presentation. like they were all glad it was gone and now they can have their way again! i still miss you jb.

2nd vote here for smolinski for el presidente!

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
there were what, 4 girls riding crf450's in the powder puff race on sunday? and that guy who was riding the wheelies the entire length on the front straight? why not let them in? does spinney get to ride the tz/xl650 in it? a real supermono? why is that allowed in the ktm not? because it looks like a racebike? because it has to look old? im starting to think the reasoning behind these decisions is things dont look old. (think monkeys bike) or dont fit the part. not because they dont fit the rules. wheres the cutoff? the gp classes are where the real racebikes should be. and the close facsimiles. if i showed up with an 82xr500, dirtrack style? would that be legal? or supermoto style? why wouldnt it be? i think aaron has a good reason to be a little pissed off. there should have been some prior warning. and there should have been better communication all of the way around. youre always welcome at wera......hehehehe......

jc

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
RULES RULES RULES!

They need to be consistent, enforced, and posted on the website.

Which means someone needs to tell me about them. I have no idea what the new rules are, because they aren't written in stone. Which scares people away. You want more people to go racing with the USCRA? They need a rulebook.

And hopefully one that's consistent with other race orgs.

Every time I get all hyped up about the Cosmo Cup race and start pricing out cylinder kits so I can be competitive, I'm reminded that its a ton of $dough for a 4 lap race with one club, 3 times a year.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts