Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the few of you out there who may not know,USCRA has a 2 day race meeting July 4th and 5th at NHIS (NHMS now).
The time and length of the endurance race has been set. It will be Saturday morning, July 5th, from 9:00 until noon. We need to have at least 10 teams if this is going to be a go. Each team (minimum of 2 riders) must be able to supply a scorer. One scorer can do it without a problem, but 2 would be ideal. ( Due to circumstances, I once scored a 12 hour race virtually on my own. I am not calling the other rider’s wife a Princess, but…………………. Of course, that was many years ago, and a divorce decree almost came with the trophy!!!)

The entry for the race will be posted on the website shortly. If you have not done one of these races before, you should definitely go for it. Not only is the team effort a lot of fun, but the track time is invaluable.

The cost per team will be $125 if the entry is received by the 16th of June. You can bring it to the next race if you want to. After that, the cost will be $150. As soon as you have a team together, please email the name of the team and all of the riders. We need to know ASAP if this will all happen. We are building the schedule for the weekend around this.

If you know of anyone who does not use this site, please pass this along.
See you at the track.
Cathy

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
First, I'd be happy to volunteer and ride someone elses bike and pay my share of the entry fee. La Manzana Fea wouldn't last 20 minutes let alone 2 hours. I'd suggest Alex's bike, but that wouldn't last 25 minutes.

Second, if nobody wants me to ride their bike (booooooooo!), but I will volunteer as pit crew or score keeper for a race team. Only payment I demand is a beer after the track closes for the day.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would rather a few hours of practice instead of an endurance race.
I think it gets boring after an hour, but I'm just an old man who gets tired easy and needs a nap between track sessions.

FC

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Midge, We could easily be team new guy--I've only got a racing school and track day under my belt. I want to be in the endurance event for the track time, if nothing else. How many on a team? How long does each rider go, or does each guy actually ride three hours? Kym could be the time keeper--I'm a one man show.

I am still really cautious around the corners. Being self employed, serious injury could equal bankruptcy....

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
you run in class. for overall and class. you can have as many riders as you want, just have the minimum. if 2 people want to ride 5 mins, the other person can run the rest. you have to do 2 rider changes. I HAVE DONE IT, IT IS A TON OF FUN!! Get out, run a decent pace, and no mechanicals, you can do well. Really fun wehn you break down and cant make it back to the pits. You crew has to run parts and tools to you. It will give you a whole new respect for the guys who really do it.

jc

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Joe,

Would each rider run his own bike, of does the whole race need to be run on the same bike? Also, if each can use their own bike, can you have fcb's and maybe 175's (mwsv??) on the same team??

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I agree with Frank. Enduros are nice but the three hrs. of practice would be better. I think it'll be tough fitting a complete day of racing in the remaining time as it is. If this were a three day event like the VRRA runs their Mosport endurance race there'd be enough time to have it all. For the race to start by 9:00AM that means no practice before the race. For anyone.
And then no practice rounds after the race for those not in the endurance race if there's hope to get a complete schedule in place. I think three hrs is going to be like fitting 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag.
But this is a moot point. My guess is there won't be enough entries by the deadline.
Craig

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
OK, here is some poop. Practice you do not really pay for, therefore it does not help the bottom line of a two day race at NHIM. If there is no endurance race, the cost of attending "practice" increases. If there is an endurance race with at least ten entries, the entry costs go down for the rest of us, as the enduro subsidizes the weekend. So IF you want more practice, craig, Frank, get a team and do the enduro!! (PS. My own, personal opinion is for more personal practice time. But, in the whole scheme of things, BE GONE, I TELL YOU. BWA HA HA)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
some people go out during practice thinking it's a race. no reason people can't do the endurance race and pretend it's a practice.
-parks

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the endurance race is a great way to practice. unfortunately, 2 or more team members are usually doing it on an unfamiliar bike. when will there be a sidecar endurance race?? you run the same bike. everyone rides the same machine. if you break down on the track, if you cant get back to the pits, the crew isnt allowed to physically touch the bike. they have to stay behind the fence but can bring tools and parts. also give advice. but cant phsically help. you have to refuel on pit lane. engine dead, rider off the machine. youll race for class position, but also overall position. you can have 10 riders if you want. i found 45 mins to be the limit of what i was able to do at a reasonable race pace. and pace is the key word. ive found consistent average race laps work the best. there will be crashes, and break downs, and things you dont expect. doing it in the rain is the best.

jc

jc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Evil,

Let's look at it this way. Are you assuming there's no practice sessions before the start of the endurance race? This means a bunch of riders riding a new, to them, bike for the first time in a race. Then a 12:00 finish means you'll have the 1 hr lunch break for the corner workers which could end at 1:00. Then the general jerking around and you might get things started after 1:30. I assume we'd still need to be done at the normal 6:00. That gives you four and a half hrs to get in 13 races. That still means no practice sessions for anyone. You're talking about subsidizing the weekend on the $1250 you're going to get for 10 entries. I can't see it but I may be wrong.

I'd think a better idea may be to really push the uniqueness of a two day race weekend in the northeast. Sending invitations to AHRMA and WERA letting them know about two full days of racing on a holiday weekend when there is no other racing to be found. I think that could bring in more than $1250.

But it's an idea. It might be a good one. We'll have to see how it works out.

Craig

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i'll probably still be in europe partying with rossi after the assen g.p. so i really don't care.

cheers,

tex

·
Registered
569 Posts
The idea of the endurance race has a definite allure to me, for the track time if nothing else...but as a new rider I really don't see myself jumping on someones else's bike and being at all confident. Nor do I see myself offering up my bike to anyone who would want to team up with me, so I would have to say I would lean with FC on the more open practice sessions. I'd pay that for 3 hours of open track with just vintage bikes out there..I also agree with Craig in that I don't see 10 teams @ $125 carrying the weekend. Slow riders unite !!!, Hey Champ, wanna be on my team...;)), sometimes I just crack myself up..!!

dch.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The idea of the endurance race has a definite allure to me, for the track time if nothing else...but as a new rider I really don't see myself jumping on someones else's bike and being at all confident. Nor do I see myself offering up my bike to anyone who would want to team up with me, so I would have to say I would lean with FC on the more open practice sessions. I'd pay that for 3 hours of open track with just vintage bikes out there..I also agree with Craig in that I don't see 10 teams @ $125 carrying the weekend. Slow riders unite !!!, Hey Champ, wanna be on my team...;)), sometimes I just crack myself up..!!

dch.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts