Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Tim Kennedy and I own The Motorcycle Shop here in Freeport, Maine. You have probably seen my big white truck at some of the events last year. Aside from toting my race bikes to the track, I plan on stocking the truck with racers' needs and offering mechanical assistance if need be (no, not by me, but by one of my staff mechanics). I am looking for suggestions on what would be benefical to have on hand. Right now I carry such items as fasteners (mostly metric), wire ties, spark plugs, safety wire, fuel filters, oil, fuel line, spare throttles assemblies, numbers, number plates, electrical supplies, tape, seat foam, rivets, cable making supplies, etc. Obviously I can't supply everything for every make and model, but if there are some general or specific items that racers may need in case of crashes, running issues, emergency fixes, etc., I'd like to get a consensus on what would be worth stocking on the truck.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The Motorcycle Shop, Freeport ME have done numerous powder coating jobs for me. They do beautiful paint and have a state of the art facility. Don't be bashful, give em a try. They understand the vintage scene and they are nice people to boot!!! 207-865-2222 www.got-bike.com

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Parks you're drinking at 8:30 in the morning? Good for you.

Timmy, wlecome to the foray. Geeto, get on ’em! Timmy sells clubmans . . . .

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Probably wouldn't be a bad thing to have a couple of different helmets, some boots, and some gloves. I'm sure it would add to your costs but those would be nice to have at the track, just in case.

If you're coming to the track with a mechanic, a way to mount and balance tires would be appreciated. Along with Avon and Dunlop race tires. I'd much rather spend money at the track with a guy supporting vintage racing than the local guy that could care less about a bike from the 70s.

Craig

·
Registered
345 Posts
Tim, do you set up a display at the track when you go? Are you allowed? I say that because most of the time I like to see what stuff one has out on a table or wall and then pick & choose what I like... I'm also with Craig about the tire/wheel/balance at the track is definetly a great idea!

Sure to look around for you this year at VC, I believe in supporting the vintage guys.

Alex
aka: sotomoto

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
you guys are serious about tire an wheel balancing? ive never had to remount and balance a tire/wheel, except this past time at summit. and that worked fine w/o help. i dont know, seems like alot of shite to haul to the track, for maybe a few people. id rather see rearset parts, those switches, like i gave you craig, for the pvls. the 2 pole single throw type. (but thats strictly a racer bit).

zip ties, tape, number plates, numbres, wire, twisters, maybe knee pucks, visors, anti fog stuff, rain suits, rtvs and honda bond type stuff, water, gatorade, batteries, maybe some battery chargers, clip on bars, footpegs, lever perches.

jc

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
avon 90-90-18 and 110-80-18 tyres, 18" tubes, & what everybody else said.

cheers,

tex

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
JB weld, NGK BR9HS plugs (for RD350s) and BR9ES for RD400s, rainsuits, duct tape, safety wire, tubes, and AM20/22 tires.
Motoul two smoke oil.... gearbox oil.... Belray Gear Saver gearbox oil....

Brass balls when I've left mine at home in my skirt drawer....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boy, these are great suggestions. I usually stock Avon race tires anyway and would be glad to stock the truck with tires. I do have a have a machine to mount along with and an extra balancer. I usually bring down helmets in case someone doesn't have a snell 05 for tech. Gloves, rainsuits, boots,no problem. This is great keep them comming!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey Tim, welcome aboard, I second Unga's recommendations-two stroke oil, plugs, VP110, random washers, fasteners. Got a portable welder?Got Brent?
See you next Saturday,
Larry

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I lose number plates, and levers. I've changed tires once at a race event so far.

Sounds extravagant, and it would be a big investment...but yeah, a freakin dyno at the race track could save me a yearly 2 hour drive to the dyno....and no I wouldn't expect it to be free, or even close to free. The track is about the only place I ever have my bikes in complete "race" tune. Would be nice to get that kind of feed back. I'd pay $30-50 for a couple of quick, no mods, dyno runs. Just 15 minutes on the drum.
I know it's a long shot...but hey, if you know anyone that has a portable it would be cool.
JohnnyB

1 - 20 of 70 Posts