Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
A dyno is in the future plans for the shop. I plan to outfit it in a trailer anyway as I have no room. It probably won't be until the end of the season, if not next season though. If anyone knows about a used one let me know. I do have a portable 110v welder, but suck at welding. I am sure there are plenty of guys in the group who can lay a bead.

Hey Larry, just came across a few Derbis if you know anyone interested. They both have 16" wheels though. Rs 125 wheels are supposed to be abolt on fit.

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Tim,
I don't know the legal or dealership aspects...but someone selling VP race fuel at USCRA events might sell some. I know I'm usually good for a 5gals of C12 at most events.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
tim et all

I have a set of rs 125 hubs that i may possibly sell if anyone is interested in building a set of 17 or 18 inch wheels for one of thosae derbi's or something similar in size....

matt

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Tim
Good news, and I hope it makes it worth your while.
How about disc brake pads for the most popular bikes. And the most commonly used plugs. I try buy as much stuff as possible at the local dealer but they rarely have my plugs.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
tim,

if i know that there is a dealer that supports racing and my club showing up at the track i'd definitely buy my avon tyres from them, plugs, vp race fuel (u-4e), lock wire, numbers, etc......

it is a big commitment of time and money to have someone like you out there, and i'd show my appreciation with $$$.

cheers,

tex

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tim....you are a dork:)

Also I resent that comment Craig....lucky you aren't going to be at the Vintage Celebration!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Jersey,

I've never thought of you as an Umbrella girl. I always thought of you as a racer.

Would you like Tim to bring Umbrella boys? :)

Craig

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hi Tim
My Bike is in your shop right now and I'm praying it will be ready for the weekend following this one... If it is.. put stickers on it.. IF I don't crash it.. you won't be disappointed :)
(FCB 350 beat to shit with straight pipes (sorry Dave)
A dyno would be sick they are tough to find..
But for the real world which I visit on occasion...
Plugs, after market ignition kits (with good instructions :)
Levers (lots of them :) )
Rain gear for over the levers (cause it always fricking rains)
Wire, belly pans or at least something that could be ghetto'd to pass as one... and anything else that would be a problem getting ppl like me through tech.
Shocks/springs.
Oh yeah... A welder with someone to use it would be a life saver from time to time.

J 'I’m trying to be back’ D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey Dave, We have been working on your bike but having trouble with figuring out the PVL. According to all our sources (including some of your competitors) there are some parts missing; mainly the coils that should have come with the kit. PVL has been no help, The instructions (from one of your competitors) are useless, and the guy who took over THR is hard to get a straight answer from. I have some more resources and hopefully we will get it back together in the next couple days. If not, we will revert back to points temporarily if need be. Do you have any ideas or sources?

Also, thanks for the suggestions. For everyone else, Can't do VP fuel, can do brake pads. Other than the obvious, what other prominant brands and years can I carry? Race Avons are comming in dribs and drabs but should be set up fully for the following event.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hi Tim, it's JD not Dave ?
Coils.. yeah no that you mention it... I probably didn't give you those since I / We couldn't figure out the fucking thing either.
Other than that... everything should be there... THR was the same for me so I hear that...
I'll look tomorrow and if need be make a trip up there this week to drop them off.

Thanks J'nt'D

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
tim, jd

the key thing when setting up the pvl is to set the timming 44 degrees before top dead center. that will make the most power.

mine was set up by pete talabach. it runs perfect.

good luck
matt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorry JD

Yeah, if you can bring those down that would be great. Thanks Matt, We got the 44 degree part, but maybee I'll give Pete Talabach a call and pick his brain.

Drop them off Saturday and stay for the Party! Pig roast, beer, Music. Noon on.

Tim

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
it wont work without pvl coils.

iirc the mounting plate that jd had sucked.

they are super easy to setup. even the instruction that came with mine, although not for a cb350, were applicable.

there are plenty of people here using them, ask away. unfortunately, the plate was the big hurdle for jds setup. ive show lonewolf my plate, and the things i did to it even after i got it, and its quite a bit different than jds. im thinking he has the incorrect mounting plate. maybe.

jc

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You guys sure on the 44 degrees BTDC? The instruction sheet I had gotten from Todd Henning said 34 BTDC.

And you need the correct coils or it's not going to work. As far as the mounting plate goes do you have a picture of the plate you've got? I know there's a few different mounting plates out there but they all work as long as the set-up is correct.

There really isn't much to this. The rotor should be the thickness of a piece of masking tape away from the pickups. Then take the piece of tape back off the rotor once the pickups are installed on the plate in the correct spot. Put the motor at 34 degrees BTDC. Line the mark on the rotor with the pickup for the left cylinder. Tighten everything down. And you're done.

This shouldn't be that hard.

Craig

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
i don't know, lonewolf keeps saying 44 too or something like that. But he's still trying to get his plate on . . . . gonna finish by next weekend LW?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well I'm not sure about the plate it's the one they sent me and JB, Joe, and Chris Marshall have all had a look at it.. I have been told at nauseum that it's not that difficult but obviously in my case that is not the case... I emailed photos of the plate to whomever at THR way back when and he seemed to think it was the "right plate".
IF it's not the right plate what would it take to ghetto a "good one" up ?
I'm going to find the coils tonight and get them up there toot sweet..

Thanks
J 'WTF' D

21 - 40 of 70 Posts