Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys.
I recently acquired a SUZUKI XF650, customised as a scrambler and i am interested in swapping the fronts.
is there any similar bike with inverted forks that could make an easy swap?
Feel free to suggest any other possible mods.
le mods.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
You just bought that from Car.gr and you want to replace the entire front end with something completely different? :unsure:
What happened, did you get it home and find out the forks leak and it handles like a bag of dirt?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not at all, the listing on car.gr is mine.
i'm thinking either of selling it in order to finance another project, or do some mods on it.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
:cool: I think you should sell it for way more then it is worth.

Next time you wrap exhaust pipes start from the rear and wrap forward ;)

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
... keep the rear wheel bearings in good shape or the handling will go to crap. Ride that *** rear wheel,
it's a giant air cooled Honda dirt bike on street rubbers.

You get winter where you live? Throw a set of studded tires on it and ice race it :cool:
I bet I could ride that thing over some cars and not put my foot down lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not so much of a winter here in Athens. But where a live offers a combination of an urban and rural environment to play with depending on your mood

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
What are the shortcomings of your existing front forks or are you thinking of replacing them only for looks?

Would be a lot easier to swap out RSU forks with RSU forks, but first you are going to need to find some forks that are superior to the originals or it is just a lateral move. Chances are your steering head bearing is just a bunch of round ball bearings, and that part can be economically improved by installing a set of taper bearings.

Give serious consideration as to why you want USD forks, they are far larger at the triple tree yokes which reduces clearance in your lock to lock turning, they are more expensive to service and carry the oil above the seals which makes them more prone to leaking, almost nothing on the front of your bike will fit onto them so now you are looking at a new front wheel, brake and axle all of which will be drastically different, and I bet you are going to buy all used parts. The feature that sells USD forks is that they are more rigid and are capable of transferring greater forces into the frame without flexing. Forces the rest of your bike was never designed to carry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to be honest it's about looks. i know that i have to replace the whole front end but i was hoping that there is something that will fit the bike without drastically change its geometry.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of USD forks to begin with so looks would never be motivation to me, but if you want a bike with that modern USD front fork look :/ why not just buy a new motorcycle that has them? You aren't saving any money by trying to retrofit second hand front ends onto obsolete motorcycle rear ends.

Just ride that thing is my recommendation.

... there is something that would not change it much but be USD, you could put USD forks onto it from a very expensive modern dirt bike and then it would be a slightly beefier dirt bike :|

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I always thought the XF650 had horrible looking plastics.......you greatly improved the looks of your bike.

A GSXR frond end would probably be the closest and best match for your bikes stance out there. Allballsracing.com will have a fork conversion chart to get you the right bearings needed for the swap. The DR650 motor is one of the best out singles out there and enjoy a great aftermarket for upgrades. Procycle has big bore kits, cams...... and a procycle carb would bring your bike to life.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always thought the XF650 had horrible looking plastics.......you greatly improved the looks of your bike.

A GSXR frond end would probably be the closest and best match for your bikes stance out there. Allballsracing.com will have a fork conversion chart to get you the right bearings needed for the swap. The DR650 motor is one of the best out singles out there and enjoy a great aftermarket for upgrades. Procycle has big bore kits, cams...... and a procycle carb would bring your bike to life.

Good luck
Thanks for the advice mate. I'll give a look at it.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
This is why I say you should go to a scrap yard to do your fork and shock shopping:

... if you phone a place like this and ask for a specific make & model fork set, what's the chances of the person on the phone knowing what they have in stock?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts