Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a used bike pretty cheap so I can learn how to work on one and hopefully turn it into something pretty cool. The question I have is on prices. Maybe I am way off but I thought I could find a used bike fairly cheap. I'm looking on ebay and craig's list and not really see anything affordable. I see prices for a used CB450 from 1985 with a torn seat going for $1000 or more. I rarely if ever see a bike for less than a grand. Is that pretty much normal for bike prices? I don't know what the average price is for a used bike say from the 80's or earlier so I thought I'd check here and see if prices of 900-2000 for a one that old was pretty common.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
This is a bad time of year to buy a bike, but I have seen a few deals on CL in the past week here in the North East. Like $300 to $500 CB360's. Yeah, some guys think they have a goldmine in their garage, or sitting out back behind it.

Fill out your bio please. It would be helpful to know where you are.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If it runs and has a title, no matter how ugly it is worth a grand at the beginning of the year. Come august it will be worth 2/3rds that.

Buy something running, if it is old it will still need work anyway and general maintenance is better than a full tear down.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The prices you see on craigs list are not usually the prices that someone will settle for. I usually watch to see if the listing gets posted several times. That's an indicator that the seller's prices is either too high and/or no one is interested in the bike. HD's are always listed with unrealistic pricing.

I think you will find better pricing on 80's related MC's vs 70's MC's.

I agree with Geeto's comment - if its vintage that runs with a title, your bottom line pricing is going to be around 1G. Wait later in the year and the price will drop.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I have a couple of bikes that I'll sell you for just over the 1K price. I can deliver right to your house. Oops, no I can't since I don't know where you live! Fill out your Bio!

Ken

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
quote:Originally posted by nic579

Ken do you have an RD400 you could drop off?
Not at the moment, but I can get you one. Today's Craigslist has a DS7 and YDS3 listed. You do realize that 2 strokes are the implement of Satan and designed to lure you down the path of doom and destruction.
I can put you into a nice Honda 500 Ascot or Yamaha FZ600.

Ken

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
nic- Does it have to be a 400? There's been an RD250 that's appeared a couple of times in the Syracuse craigslist for well less than a grand. looks to be in nice shape.

Craig

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
quote:Originally posted by craig641

nic- Does it have to be a 400? There's been an RD250 that's appeared a couple of times in the Syracuse craigslist for well less than a grand. looks to be in nice shape.

Craig
I know I have been tempted to go after that one but need to get myself a trailer and a hitch installed, cant take the borrowed truck that long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts