Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are more than a few VW and Audi owners/enthusiasts on here. I'm looking for advice. I'm in the market for a used wagon - my 2.0 mk4 Jetta is at 200K and on its way out.

I'm looking at A6 Avants and Passat Wagons. This car will be my daily driver, will haul three kids on weekends, and will need to pull a 5x8' trailer with 2-3 bikes to the track. I don't want older than 2008 and I'm trying to keep under 90K miles. I have no problem putting on a Draw-Tite hitch, but I've seen issues putting them on AWD Passats.

Is there an engine I want to stay away from in either brand?
Are there years I want to stay away from in either brand?

Cars on the line (both clean CARFAX):
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Premium Avant Quattro - 50000mi one owner - no trailer hitch - $19K obo (from used car dealer)
2010 VW Passat Komfort Wagon FWD - 2.0L I4 16V GDI DOHC Turbo - 75500mi two owner - no trailer hitch - $11700 (from BMW dealership)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Awww - my V6 chevy impala does a great job for 1/2 the cost of your VW... My last two GM cars had 325K and 225K before giving up .. just saying

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
In my experience avoid the 30 valve 2.8 v6. It's a good motor, but if it ever has a problem, parts are nonexistent, as in heads etc...
I have a tdi jetta and it is awesome with the TS performance programmer.
250 hp and 50 mpg!
I also advise against the automatic transmissions, because the solenoids go bad and they cost about $1200, not to mention the labor to install them. But YMMV on that one.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Resist the temptation to get something with the amazing 4.2 V8.
they get expensive fast.

hunt a unicorn....
find a 3.0 supercharged A6 wagon.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I have a 1.8T Passat wagon. I haul 3 bikes on a trailer and use it as a weekend family car.

Its my third passat wagon. do it!!

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Almost anything DSG should have had the metronicks recall, no big deal. Just make sure it was done.
2.0 needs cam followers more often then people think, again not a huge deal.

Audi awd if much better then VW.
DSG is much better then auto.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Audis twin turbo v6 that's found in some alroads is great, but it needs to be properly maintained... I'd go for a 5spd 05 VW diesel wagon (the mk4 body). Easy to work on and tons of aftermarket support

Reactions: thechief86

·
Registered
30 Posts
Considering the VW diesel scandal, if you are going to maintain the car yourself, look for a 2.0 TDI, prices are through the floor because of the panic of Californians that don't get their hads dirty, the 2.0 TDI CR can run into the 250k band easily without major component swaps, with a re-map for 190+ bhp it is a good family wagon, I have a B8 A4 wagon, it's a great car.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Considering the VW diesel scandal, if you are going to maintain the car yourself, look for a 2.0 TDI, prices are through the floor because of the panic of Californians that don't get their hads dirty, the 2.0 TDI CR can run into the 250k band easily without major component swaps, with a re-map for 190+ bhp it is a good family wagon, I have a B8 A4 wagon, it's a great car.
is the 2.0 TDI from when they went to the MKV chassis? If so, I've heard it has issues with the motor eating cams... haven't read into it much though

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My 2014 2.0 tdi jetta with the 6 speed manual trans has 45k miles on it, with no issues so far. I bought the exented warranty, so if it's gonna fail, I hope the shit hits the fan before 100k miles, lol.
So far, though, it has been a phenomenal car and we have literally saved more on fuel than the monthly payments have been, since my wife has been commuting 70 miles each way for work for the last 2 years.
I've got a similar commute, but I've been splitting it up between motorcycles and my other 2 cars. Any time I get to drive the jetta is a treat. It will go well over 140 mph, as well. I hit 140 and then shifted into 6th gear, and it was still very smooth and felt surefooted.
I only wish we had waited until "Dieselgate" and bought a used one, rather than paying $22k for a brand spanking new one....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts