Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well without a doubt this is the most unhelpful technical help forum I've ever seen. Geez guys how about instead of all the smart arse replies you actually say something that helps somebody that's new to the game. I'm guessing though that none of you have really got a clue about anything technical or you do but you don't want to share any knowledge. Well that's fine and totally your choice but I'm obviously not going to get anything worth while from this site so I'll leave you all to your overblown feelings of superiority and I'll just move on. Thanks for nothing.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Well without a doubt this is the most unhelpful technical help forum I've ever seen. Geez guys how about instead of all the smart arse replies you actually say something that helps somebody that's new to the game. I'm guessing though that none of you have really got a clue about anything technical or you do but you don't want to share any knowledge. Well that's fine and totally your choice but I'm obviously not going to get anything worth while from this site so I'll leave you all to your overblown feelings of superiority and I'll just move on. Thanks for nothing.
Pretty much everyone here has just told you not to try and make a cafe racer out of an 80's sport tourer. That's real world advice for a bloke who's new to the game.

Re-cover the seat, get some new mufflers and don't hack the shit out of it. Simple.

Now fuck off.

·
Registered
750 Posts
that's not fair to the couple of posters who were helpful. desmo dog was helpful, dirkchicken gave some advice in amongst the anger and sarcasm and kenessex gave you some constructive thoughts.

admittedly some of us were unhelpful, tangential, obtuse or downright rude, but that's kind of the nature of the place. stick around, and you'll get used to it.

but the main problem is the initial question and the expectation of a reasoned technical response based on experience. it seems people often assume that someone has done it before. cb750? probably yes. vf1000f? probably not. the answer is not always out there. sometimes you have to just do shit and be the first. then the next time someone asks this question, in amongst the inevitable "you're a fuckwit", there'll be some constructive anecdotal input from yourself.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Spot on comments. It is pretty ugly but I've seen some pictures of similar bikes done up and they look good. This is just a project for fun and to see what I can come up with. I'm actually thinking all black below with a small bit of chrome, single seat, clip ons, single gauge and your right with the single round headlight. That was my plan along with a Ducati yellow tank and back of seat. Below s a picture that got me thinking. It's a bit more radical than what I'm going to do but the ideas are good. BTW it only cost me $900 and yes it's ugly but it runs okay.
View attachment 18106
That didn't even start out as the same type bike! It was a VF750S Sabre. The engine is different (aside from being a 750....it was very different than the VF750F) and the fram is a completely different configuration.

that's not fair to the couple of posters who were helpful. desmo dog was helpful, dirkchicken gave some advice in amongst the anger and sarcasm and kenessex gave you some constructive thoughts.

admittedly some of us were unhelpful, tangential, obtuse or downright rude, but that's kind of the nature of the place. stick around, and you'll get used to it.

but the main problem is the initial question and the expectation of a reasoned technical response based on experience. it seems people often assume that someone has done it before. cb750? probably yes. vf1000f? probably not. the answer is not always out there. sometimes you have to just do shit and be the first. then the next time someone asks this question, in amongst the inevitable "you're a fuckwit", there'll be some constructive anecdotal input from yourself.
Brad, Desmo's answer was so full of ridicule and sarcasm, it was hilarious. I expected the OP to miss that fact, but you've been here long enough to catch all the typical hipster pitfalls in his suggestions.....

Hodgie, you need to read more in this forum. The technical pool here is deeper than most places you have ever seen. This place is about improving performance on vintage bikes, not chasing some stupid look. You have been told that what you are trying to do it stupid...not because the responders don't know any better, but because they understand what it takes to make an old bike better.....and what the Bikeexif and Pipeburn crowd do to make them unrideable. You aren't the first newbie to come here with outrageous visions of granduer. You won't be the last. There will probably be 3 more coming in here, this week.

The trick is to see how many open their minds and eyes to realize their folly, and go on to do good, proper modifications.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I hate to have this thread be a total waste, so I will fill it with my experiences with the VF series of Hondas. I was actively working in Honda dealerships and racing production bikes when these were current models. In 1982 when Honda delivered the VF750S Sabre, Erik Buell ( yes that Erik Buell) tried racing one at IRP in the 750 production class. It was horrible and I don't recall ever seeing one on the track again. With all due respect to Erik, since his engineering expertise and racing ability (you do know he was a successful AMA pro, don't you?) speak for themselves, that was the end of my interest in the Sabre. Now, on to the VF500F. WERA had a 500 Interceptor spec series that was totally production. The only changes allowed were suspension tuning, brake pads and tires. Those bikes handled great. I raced one a couple of times and I also endurance raced one. They overheated the crbs and boiled the fuel in the floatbowls unless you ducted air into the V to cool the carbs and that wasn't allowed. The good news is that everybody's bikes did that so it was still good fair racing. The bikes just ran crappier after 5 or 6 laps. The VF750 also overheated the carbs and would over heat the engine. The solution was to remove the thermostat and replace it with a restrictor. Leave the theromstat in and ther was too little flow. remove it entirely and there was too much flow and the heat couldn't transfer from the cylinder heads fast enough. It was a Goldilocks situation here you had to get the restrictor just right. I never raced one, but did try out a former AMA superbike VF750F at a practice dat at Talledega GPR and blew up the motor on about the third lap. It was cool! I never saw anybody try and race the VF1000F. I only rode them on test rides after set-up new from the crate. It was a great street bike and I would like to have one.

The end.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
That is the VF1000R, not the F. It was a homologation special and quite different from the F. I think it had gear drive cams, different wheels and forks. I never raced one, but a friend of mine, Ed Key, did. As I recall, he did not enjoy it that much as an endurance bike. I believe he claimed it was a top heavy overweight pig, but a really fast pig. Given his expertise, AMA 250 racer and 27 ccs and wera national championships, I will accept his opinion. So, if that one is available at a reasonable price, you should buy it. Google some images for the Honda endurance racers of that era for some cool paint schemes. Are you going to be at Cycle Jam at road Atlanta or at Mid-Ohio?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That is pretty ratty. Hope it runs good, those things are a prick to service.

I'll never understand why people affix those huge carry racks way high up and out behind the rear wheel, i mean can you think of a worse place to carry a bunch of extra weight on a motorcycle? If you need to carry that much crap, why not just tow a trailer, or mount a sidecar, or better yet, buy a truck and put the bike in the back along with all your junk! Can you believe that somebody would actually pay money for that thing and feel good about permanently mounting it on their what was likely at the time a pretty nice motorcycle. :/ all to haul a 2-4 of beer for 12 blocks. lol Lunacy I tell you Lunacy!
… that's not a question by the way, just me venting because it's too freakin cold out to go riding :( -24 degrees C and dropping rapidly.
The luggage CAGE looks just like my tree stand. Stick it up a tree and wait for dinner.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts