Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Giro bike, 69 Honda CA160 baby dream, has developed a vibration . It started towards the end of the 2nd day of the Giro, and I took it out again today for the first time since and it is still there, though I had forgotten about it.

Handlebars and footpegs are fine. The vibration is in the SEAT, and gives you a tingle in an area many men would pay money for. A woman could have a hard time controling the bike after a bit of the vibration, if you know what I mean....

Any ideas here? I have ridden the bike quite a bit in the past, without the vibration. Before this giro I installed a new back tire, and the throttle cable stuck open once during the event. It seems the vibration started just a short time (1/2 hour) before the spark plug fell out of one cylinder.

This is driving me nuts...(pun intended)

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey jack.....live with it and enjoy!

seriously, check your compression. if it started 1/2 hour before your plug fell out, that might mean it was only firing on that one cylinder, or misfiring. this may have led to engine damage in that cylinder (God forbid) or perhaps it's firing on one(?) for a different reason.

is this by any chance the one with the mechanical advance weight problem?

how's your wheel in the back? checked the bearings? what about tires? checked your chain & sprockets?

if at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

Edited by - peten on Oct 08 2007 1:38:47 PM

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pete,

Thanks for the response.

At the giro I was riding the bike WOT for a while, when all of a sudden I lost most of the power, along with an odd sound. I looked down at the engine to see if anything was obvious, which it wasn't. I thought I had holed a piston, and I didn't want to stop in fear of not getting going again and not finishing the event.

I figure I must have ridden maybe 8 or 10 miles at most, looking down at the engine every once in a while for oil leaks, etc. Finally when I looked down the plug was there hanging from the wire. At that point I stopped, regapped and installed the plug and took off, running great as usual.

The plug must have vibrated loose from not having been tightened in all the way ,only finger tight at some point in the near past.

Hopefully there is no expensive internal work to be done, though it may need a top end job due to a little smoke.

Maybe I will bring the bike over to your shop and have you take a look. Heck, I haven't been insulted and abused in some time now so I need to stop in anyway. :).

Oh, the bike with the spark advance problem was the 360, and that will be coming to you in the spring for a go over.

Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts