Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

A dumbass kid on the NYC vinmoto list got himself in a little bit of trouble when, with no prior expirence of working on bikes, he tried to ride a newly purchased and unfamilar 1971 triumph from boston to NY.

So can anyone recommed a bike shop in springfield, Ma that can fix it so he can get it back?

Anybody going from boston to NY that can pick up the bike and help him get it back?

post replies here and I will duplicate them on the vinmoto list.

And if you want to bitch and moan about the stupidity of riding an unfamilar bike a long distance please feel free. I think it is hella stupid too.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
That was pretty stupid. But a good way to get to know the bike. . . . and of things to come

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by imslow

That was pretty stupid. But a good way to get to know the bike. . . . and of things to come
It would have been a good way to know the bike had he not parked it at a car repair shop and caught a bus home.

·
Registered
97 Posts
He bought that bike from me. Took 3-4 weeks for him to get it. I kept telling him he needs a truck for that distance. First he wanted to disassemble it and put it in his station wagon. Then finally he said he was coming for it and showed up with a buddy in a PT Cruiser. He was unaware that it was a right side shift bike. Also not sure if he knew it had drum brakes and kick only. I was very nervous about him leaving my house riding it, there was ice on my road. But he insisted on riding it and I was sick of storing it for free.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He says it lost power. Judging his expirence with bikes it could be anything from a charging issue to he forgot to turn the petcock on. I don't think it reflects negativley on you nardi1 and kudos for volunteering that you sold it to him. I am definatly not slamming anyone who sold him the bike.

He was trying to get someone to lend him a trailer or a truck to pick it up and we kept saying uhaul rents to 21 year olds. The last the vinmoto list heard from him he was asking how to disable the odometer on a rental van to keep from getting charged for the mileage. Obviously, we are not dealing with the sharpest tool.

Out of curosity, was it the mustard yellow one?

·
Registered
97 Posts
No it was a blue solid rider. I put a new top end on it last fall and rode it about 400 miles before putting it away for the winter. I was on a battery tender until he picked it up. Its running a boyer with a tympanium. My guess would be to check the petcocks and the fuse. There is only one fuse that I remember.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67
He was trying to get someone to lend him a trailer or a truck to pick it up and we kept saying uhaul rents to 21 year olds. The last the vinmoto list heard from him he was asking how to disable the odometer on a rental van to keep from getting charged for the mileage. Obviously, we are not dealing with the sharpest tool.
Sigh.... If you don't know how to disconnect the odometer, you probably shouldn't ask how to do it on a public list.

But maybe he's Spitzer's son/cousin/relative.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
So, this kid:

1. Doesn't know dick about bikes and buys an old triumph.

2. Is a total cheapskate and buys an old triumph.

3. Buys an old triumph in another city and insists on riding it home.

4. In early March.

I suppose we all know one of those guys.

Repair shop's gonna ding him hard on storage.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
37 year old bike on a 200 plus mile interstate sprint in final throws a vicious winter, what could go wrong? meanwhile, a perfectly presentable triumph is getting hammered. now we're disconnecting rental van odo cables and checking bus schedules. this is gonna get worse before it gets better.

Sigh.... If you don't know how to disconnect the odometer, you probably shouldn't ask how to do it on a public list. unga, that was perfect

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Nice bike in my estimation. When this goof ball's ill conceived transport strategy is fully manifested, and he loses interest, or where with all, and the bike goes back up for sale, if anybody gets a whif, let me know. I might be interested. I've gotten to the point in my life where I'm not above preying on the weak. At least the bike would be safe. I feel bad for Nardi, sorry Dude, you did the best you could.

Cheers- Leo

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so here is how this comedy of errors began (from his post on vin-moto):

------------------------------------------------------------------
I was riding my bike back from Boston it broke down on me I was on the
park way and hour in and I started losing power and then it stalled out
on the parkway. This is the 71 triumph tr6 I was going to pick up I
decided to ride it back. A guy with a local biker with a pickup picked
me up and dropped me and my bike in Springfield ma. I had no choice
but
to leave the bike at a local repair shop(it was closed)and this morning
they told me that they don't touch bikes. I need some help/Advice on
what to do...real bad.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

and here is where we are now:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
So I'll pick up from where I left off. After the Good Samaritan picked
me up we picked up his wife from the bus stop and dropped he me off at
Bear auto in Springfield MA, I had no choice but to leave the bike
there
with a note under the door explaining what happened. So I rode back
with my friend to NY not knowing if I were ever to see the bike again.
In the morning I called Bear Auto and I talked to the owner and he told
me he couldn't repair bikes. So I asked if he could hold the bike till
Fri. or Sat. and I could pay him a storage fee. He told me that if I
didn't pick up the bike before they closed that he was going to put the
bike out on the street. So I called a local bike shop ironically
called
bears cycle and the guys there were great they picked the bike up for
me
and told me that they would gladly store it for me till Sat.. So now
all I have to do is pick the bike up on Sat. I'm trying to borrow a
friends van so I can save some $ on renting one. I must say I was a
little stressed out yesterday during the day when I wasn't sure what
was
going on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I will ping him in a couple of weeks to see if he gets it back. Originally this post was to try and find a bike shop for him that would take the bike in.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by leo

P.S.- Geeto, I think I get it now. It's not that clubmans per se are gay, it's idiots trying (key word- trying) to be cool that's gay.

Leo
EG-FUCKIN-ZACTLY!!! pass the word. shout it from the highest hill top. your enlightenment must be shared!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anyone in Boston want a cheap bike? He might be willing to sell it rather than pay for storage, pickup and repairs.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll wait till he gets it back here, screws it up even more and then make him an offer....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
nardi is the last guy this dink would call. too stupid to solve the problem, too cool to admit a fuck up. that bike will go for a song when mr. yo,i'mdownwithscootertrash sees the bill for the "repair".

bcr

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Just show up to the storage shop, pay the storage fee, get yourself a nice trumpet.

That would be wrong, but you'd be saving a nice machine from a beating from a knob.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts