Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a short ride on my '64 Monza 160--first time I have had it out since the early may giro.

When I apply the front brake "at speed" I get quite a shake and wobble, similar to how a warped rotor feels on a car. It reminded me that it was doing it towards the end of the giro too.

Could my drum or shoes be warped/out of round so I need to send it all to Johnny B, steering head bearings too loose ( I put in new last fall), something else?

Other than the shake, it ran great and was a blast to ride--just have to repeat "shift right/brake left....."

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Steering head bearings may have seated in a little and need to be adjusted. How are the wheel bearings?

Ken

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
what ken said. tighten up the head stock. that means you have to take off the top triple jack............no lazy way to do it!!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Yeah, I'd check the head bearing first. Not impossible for it to be the drum...but it's kind of rare for it to show up out of the blue like that without some real excessive heat or an impact to the front wheel.
Easy enough to check if it's the brake....apply the brake very lightly at a lower speed and check for an up and down dive in the front end.

Head bearings, spoke tension, tire seated, bent rim...all possibilities.

In the case of an out of round drum I wouldn't be much help...I'd just take it to the local machine shop for turning just like you would :). I could arc a set of new shoes and set up the lingage though if you ever wanted to get the most of them. Probably not necessary on a 160 Giro bike though. Some careful hand work and you could improve it a lot at home.
JohnnyB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts