Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there ever been talk of having events at Pocono? Seems to be a very central location for all the Maryland, Jersey and New Hampshire guys.

The East Course looks pretty racable:

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
east course blows and is dangerous. pavement sucks, it's way flat, and the walls and lack of run off sucks. north course is fun, FUSA course is fun.

lotsa people looked into it, but no one ever pulled the trigger.

tex

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
What course did the AMA used to run there? I wouldn't go cause I hate banking. A couple of trips to Rockingham was enough for me.

Ken

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
lots of track days there though. but like tex said....not really raceable. ive never been....but i seriously wonder how it compares to loudon. i know a ton of people who have done track days there. i also seem to remember the track is lined with steel walls.

·
Registered
450 Posts
From the little I know (I dated a track day guy from NESBA), the track was very NASCAR focused. That is where the money is coming from. Pocono East was the first track I ever rode so it has a small soft spot. The paddock area for the big track was good, but for everyone else, it was rough. I have not been back, but I know motorcycles were being phased out slowly. The last time I was there was for the FUSA course, which was the big track. Another bad thing about Pocono is that the weather is nutty up there. It can changed so quickly. Yes it's convenient, but there are lots of tracks I would go to before I went back there.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
The other thing is that if an accident happens that is remotely serious, you are getting a helicopter ride because the closest hospital is close enough, and isn't good enough either. I DID do track days there on all three configuration. Kerry is right with the ownerships focus: 2 NASCAR races per year, then car clubs, then sort of motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I drove a buddy home from Pocono after he stuffed his GSXR into the wall and cracked his pelvis. After a day at Wilkes-Barr I got to drive him home to ChiTown all drugged up (him - not me). He was in a lot of pain but at least he lived to tell the tale.

Not a place I want to see bikes race again.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
ahhhh gunstock....safety wasnt a big concern back in the day. very special place for me...2000 i won the 250 race taking turk on the inside in the hairpin for the checker...still brings me big smiles today :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I worked the FUSA/GPPro event there in 1998 and 1999. In 1998 the paddock was all torn up for renovations, so the pit area was off to the side. They promised that the pits would be nice the next year.
In 1999 there were nice garages but they were surrounded by fencing and off limits to us. Only 24 side garages were available, pitting was mostly off to the side, just like the previous year. Security personnel actually carried sidearms there and they had this attitude that anything outside of Sprint Cup was crap. (They even had disdain for the Craftsman Truck Series.) Our cornerworkers were only allowed to flag, the track insisted on handling the cleanup, etc. They overreacted every time we called for a red flag. Doug Gonda drew up an impossible schedule that had no wiggle room built in for red flags and other delays. The scariest thing I ever saw in my life at a race track was the spectator track ride there, which featured NO control vehicles to keep the speeds down. Don Hutchinson's remark to Gonda on that day was, "I'm glad it's your insurance and not mine!"
After 1999 I swore I would never work another event at that shithole again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

What course did the AMA used to run there? I wouldn't go cause I hate banking. A couple of trips to Rockingham was enough for me.

Ken
AMA used the big course.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's a picture of the paddock in 1999. The main garage building in the center was completely fenced off. These were the ARCA garages to the side. Note that the garages closest to the camera are empty. We weren't allowed to use them. Only the 24 bays beyond the archway were open. No electricity outside the garages and only one shower was open. It was designated as "ladies showers" for one hour each day.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it! Pocono = very bad mojo.

Any talk of bringing vintage back to NJMP? They ran one year on Thunderbolt, right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts