Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone that can help. My son and I are restoring a '69 CB350 and look forward to racing at NHIS next year. We are coming from Supermoto and have no experience with road racing vintage or otherwise and want to make the school next April. Two questions regarding our equipment; (1) where can we get more information or a supplier for the required belly pan? and (2) what do most racers do about exhaust in the novice class? The rules call for 2 into 2 but what about baffling and/or decibel levels etc.? Is tech inspection looking for stock headers and mufflers or what?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
re: bellypan.....you need to email tannermatic: monkey on this board. do a search for him under members, and then email him. he makes the belly pans that most every CB350 racer uses. i use it and love it. basically, TANNERMATIC RULES!

you can do whatever you want with the exhaust. i have seen 2 into 2 (that's what i run), 2 into 1, high pipes, low pipes, undertail pipe, etc......

i run stock headers, but it's only cause i'm too lazy to have my broken exhaust stud edm'ed out of the head so i can install my henning spec jemco full exhaust.

where are you from? who is the rider?

welcome to the board.

texy

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tex...Thanks for the info on belly pans...we are from upstate NY, Rochetser and Wtertown areas...my son is the rider getting a rather late start racing at 36 years old...i'm stictly in the pits at this point...we have done supermoto primarily at OVRP and beaver Run but also Circleville, Ohio and Motocuse in Syracuse, NY...as far as the exhaust goes I am surprised I thought the rules were pretty clear on the 2 into 2 thing

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Pcraner: First you made a good choice checking this forum out. These guys know what they are talking about. They helped me get started last year. The rules for FCB for USCRA state the following re: exhaust "Exhaust system may be changed. Aftermarket exhaust systems and silencers are permitted."
http://www.race-uscra.com/formulacb.html

Sorry, but I am bored at work right now given it is the day before Thanksgiving and everyone else is gone, so I am going to ramble on here abit.

If you see something else for FCB (Stock CB350 class) let me know, because I run a 2 to 1 system. Matt Tanner is the guy for belly pans, but if you can't get one from him and you are running close to race time, just jerry rig an old baking pan and zip tie it on. Make sure it has an oil pad glued into it.

The April 15 day is also helpful. They will run your bike thru tech inspection, but will not bounce you if you haven't safet-wired everythiing correctly. Part of the class is to inform we newbies on how to properly safety wire the bike up and make it track "worthy". However, given that you and your son have racing experience already, this shit has to be old hat for you.

Make sure you check out the Turn 2 group at NHIS during the evenings. We typically have good camp fires and lots of beer. The stories are also fun to listen to as well. Make sure you pack a rain suit, it always rains at NHIS, but it is still a shit load of fun! I don't know where Three Mile Bay is in NY, but I live in Schenectady and most of my fellow Wanker Racing Group members are currently living in New York state; however, I must admit I am still all Wisconsin at heart. It is good to see another NYer in the mix.

Here are some other helpful links on building an CB Racer:
http://www.eurospares.com/350faq.htm
http://www.motorcycleshopper.com/articles/hondacb350/editorsnote.htm

Here is founding Wanker member TT (Tim) on his CB350. Watch out for him, he is fast....and crazy. But you didn't hear that from me.

Here is the wankermobile, my bike. She is fast when she is running properly, but nobody at the track knows that because she wasn't running properly all year :) NOtice exhaust. I just like to post pictures of the wankermobile... Also notice, that the cinder block belly pan is not a Matt Tanner product, it is my own design.

Here is the wanker logo. Welcome to the club again. It is a blast!

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Nov 21 2007 2:48:39 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the db level at nhis is 99 i think. 1/2 to redline @ 3'@45 to pipe exit. mines loud. ive seen really loud bikes. i dont know how seriously its actually enforced, and it seems to be intermittent. for the school, there is no limit.

there is no novice class. everyone runs at the same time in their respective classes.

if you have any questions about prepping your cb, for nhis and running with wera, ahrma, or uscra, this is probably the best place to ask. alot of the people here also frequent the other clubs boards. and not to sound arrogant but there are people here who have been at it a long time and can definitely point you the right way.

also, are you running a stocker or modified motor? theres a difference in classes. and as such, a difference in what you can do to the bike.

welcome, hope to see you out there. the stocker cb class is a great class, youll love it.

jc

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
yeah dude... what he said. thanks for the plug texy.

email me offline for info at [email protected] if you need any bits. no pics to set up here... I am too stupid... but I will soon since my wife has a flicker site.

matt

latered

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'd chime in but these guys covered it pretty well. I'm a bit of a late starter myself and this was my first season out on the track, have to admit it's the most fun I've ever had. And you'll be hanging with great folks to boot. Any questions feel free to drop me a line, I'm downstate in NYC and have a few spares if you are ever in need.

and check out our NYC area Vintage Motorcyclists e-mail list:

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
pcraner,

I'm also from Upstate NY. Close to the Binghamton area. If you need any help with anything just ask.

I've got an older Jemco exhaust that's in OK shape for sale, cheap, if you're interested. It's a 2 into 2 system, complete with headers.

When you race at NHIS - or NHMS next year - sometimes they are very strict with the decibles and sometimes not so much. I think it depends on the day and who's in charge at the track. Better to be safe than sorry I guess. If you're running a stock cb350 you shouldn't have much trouble as long as there is some kind of baffles in the exhaust system. If it's a modified motor you're going to have to do some work to get it quiet.

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
that comming from probably the 2 loudest bikes there. im not going to mention who it was, you know who you are...but i almost crapped when i showed up all worried about my pipes in june, betty blue nose was grilling me, then you come over and say something like, "have you seen mine? come take at look at this" and all you have is a wide open meg. you really know how to make a guy feel good! but somehow tex's bike seems louder than all the rest. must be the sound of grinding clattering metal. mine checked at 104 last time is was checked up there. that was years ago.

get the jemcos form craig, they are a nice mellow sound. or you can always pull a tex and skip practice them go out for the race when its too late for them to yank you. buying used bits isnt a bad idea initally. you dont want to spend 500 on a nice set of pipes to squash them first weekend out. right tanner?? that must have really hurt.

jc

·
Registered
227 Posts
quote:
Tex...Thanks for the info on belly pans...we are from upstate NY, Rochetser and Wtertown areas...my son is the rider getting a rather late start racing at 36 years old...i'm stictly in the pits at this point...
36 year old novice racer? Hell; you're just a kid! Welcome to Extreme Rookie Racing! Grandma here just started too and next year will be my first REAL season. This year didn't count. Be sure and attend track school for starters.

Dreamqueen
USCRA #305

1 - 20 of 20 Posts