Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a good checklist (opinion list) as to what is necassary to make a quality vintage racer.

technical, performance, inspection related. the works.

safety wire, puke tanks, belly catch pans? retarded cams, advanced ignition....? what all makes a good racer?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Hehe...build a track in your backyard.

Sorry... we're being jerks...someone will give you some intelligent pointers shortly.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speaking of mini's, i get a lot of my speed needs taken care of at work. you wouldn't believe how fun a yamaha raptor 80 four wheeler race is around a car infested parking lot.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Go to a local AHRMA, WERA or USCRA vintage race ask questions, and take notes. Look at what bikes are running in what classes and figure out a budget.
Best piece of advice I can give is buy a race ready bike. Alot cheaper than building one. Yeah you want to build one and learn as you go, blah, blah, blah, that's bullshit and it may take a long time. I just wanted to get on the track immediately. Better to learn the bike as you ride the track.

Run a google search for new racer FAQ. Good info there.

Or you could just buy a new mini and race!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the question is for me. but i figured a lot of people could benefit from a how to make your bike race ready topic.
not a how-to so much on individual topics but like a list of good things to do to a racer. i am not so much worried about cost either, i work at a dealership and get parts-unlimited and tucker rocky, and genuine yamaha stuff discounted charged to a company no interest, pay as i please credit account, free shop access on the clock etc. but despite all those perks i still don't know what all gets routed to a puke tank. i still don't know if there is a secret trick to shaving unsprung weight etc. what secret emissions junk to remove, that sort of thing. I am not asking for winning trade secrets but just a good idea of things to make a bike able to compete.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
just listen to everyone and buy a mini.

or you could invest thousands of dollars and hours building, maintaining and racing vintage bikes

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Corey,
What do you want to race? AHRMA or WERA? What size bike are you most comfortable on? How much experience do you have?

Ken

P.S. All these question rally matter.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am unfamiliar with wera, i have an 81 xs400 special which is able to race ahrma at least by make and year. i like the bike a lot and have been working on it a little. the 400 seems to be enough bike for me, i feel comfortable sinking money in it and dedicating time. i have NO racing experience. i understand all that matters. also i don't really ever see anyone race xs400's so i think it'd be something different. (certainly a challenge)

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
buy an r6 or cbr600. wire a few things. put some michelins on it. get some bodywork. then go racing. its alot simpler than anything youll hear here.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no one is giving me the benefit of the doubt here, i have been working on and riding this motorcycle non-stop ever since i bought it non running last year. r6's and gsx-rs just don't appeal to me, believe me i could have one. i work at a motorcycle dealership. but i don't want them, i take shit everyday for riding an antique, i have to listen to peoples inane garbage about how a zx-6r is just too small of a bike, when im thinking in my head just put a little elbow grease into it, and a well tuned 600 would smoke the bacon of the liter bike your going upside down financially on. i have to deal with the douchebags w/ there lowering links, and stoppies, and can't even adjust there own fucking chain. AAAAH sorry vent

seriously i love my old bike and i want to bring out the best in it. help me out guys.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If you want to race the XS400 with AHRMA, it would fit into Vintage lighweight superbike. It would do OK there. You could have fun with it. With WERA it is probably a V2 bike but not specifically mentioned in the rule book so you would need to get permission from Sean to run it. The other really good options since you work at a dealership would be an SR/XT/TT 500 or an XS650.
As far as what you need to do to be race ready, it varies from bike to bike but safety wire everything (check the sanctioning bodies rule book!!! I mean it!!!!), upgrade your suspension with new rear shocks and rebuilt front forks, get good race worthy tires and take a riders school.
What organization races nearest to you? You may be able to find an older bike that will be competitive in their ultralight weight class if they don't have vintage. That is why I am building an FZ600.
When you have more specifics about what is available let us know and we can give better answers. Google for general ideas and check the search function on here, we have covered lots of this before.

Ken

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
dude just get a new r1... sick dude... do some wheelies!!!!

lame lame lame

get a banshee quad and put 22" mags on it so you can be a gansta

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Corey, If you are determined to race your 400 then race it. If you can get a hold of AHRMA (assuming thats who you want to race with) rules and regs, get them and read them. Go to a race meeting and look at how the bikes are prepped. Talk to the inspectors as they are the guys who will check your bike. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Race prep as demanded by most race groups is pretty much the same. Wire anything you think might work loose and fall off. Wire the sump plug. Remove the sidestand. Find out about carch tanks, diapers etc. Approved helmet, leathers, gloves, boots and you might be good to go.

If and when you get on the grid (if its your first race) start at the back of the grid. You will most likely be lapped. Believe me, no womans rejection can hurt like being lapped. Live with it and try to improve at each meeting. Its a lot of fun, well worth the effort required. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
most of the rulebooks will give you a pretty good idea of where you can start. most clubs have a rulebook avail online. remove lights, stands, extra wires. race compound tires. alum rims. better brakes. mod the oil pump. turn the crank. undercut the gears. rearsets. fairing. performance ignition. toss the speedo. put on a seat. try clipons. better pipe. remove or modify the airbox. brace the frame. bore and hi-comp pistons. cam. port then flow the head. bigger valves. bigger carbs. better clutch. dual plug head. safety wire shit. i mean, its probably waaay to general of a question to have answered specifically. specific models need specific things done to them. you can spend 10-15k on a bike if you go all out. figure out which club youll race with most, build your bike to fit in a class. go to the track. find a mentor. almost eveyrone with your same bike will jump all over it. take a camera. lots of pics. make a list. look at bikes. ask questions. get on email lists or bulletin boards. most people will be very helpful remember, it is a raceday, and there are some poeple out there to win. so be courteous. youll find most people very very helpful.

good luck, and go for it. if you start now, youll be ready for next season.

sorry to be so vague.

jc

·
Registered
598 Posts
VERY well said Joe. I'm not sure an 81 is an "antique" by the standards I have seen at the track but... whatever you like... it's all good.
Tire pressures, outside temp, humidity, exhaust (make sure it's not too loud because some tracks frown on it (NHIS))
------
Keep a notebook of everything every day your at the track...
Follow fast guys every chance you get...
Watch every race and try to see the fast guys lines...
Bring a spare everything.. coils, pegs, cables, plugs ...
Check your motor between every race.. cam chain tension, spokes, valves. and make notes...
Don't drink moonshine and smoke lots of cigarettes and don't pile 10 people onto scooters, don't drink handles of Captain Morgans and walk over fires..

There are a couple guys on here that when they talk read and do your best to absorb everything they are saying.. Johnny B, Joe, Aaron to name a few that post regularly.

but seriously... it gets real expensive even for vintage bikes so get a mini.. :)
Your question for these guys is like "what do I need to get to the moon" they are that knowledgeable about what they are doing that you'll have one hell of a time absorbing it even if they told you and a harder time fitting it all in your head.

J 'nt' D

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
there are a few threads that cover the subject here on caferacer. I am one of the many that came into vintage racing through this site and there is more than enough info to get you started. do a thread title search for racing and you'll have a ton of info.

besides all that there is:

http://www.motorcycleshopper.com/articles/hondacb350/foreword.htm

which is cb350 specific but most things will apply.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts