Cafe Racer Forum banner

VIR - WERA - March

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  joe c 
#1 ·
from the man in charge. lifted from the WERA bbs:

"VIR is going to have to be in August. Not sure what happened to the March date but the only choices we were given were August and then mid-October."

that sucks, i mean we need an august race but i'll miss coming out of the frozen north to ride around in the sun in early march.

-tt

#5 ·
man, im really bummed about this. i mean really. tt will be in full good health by then, ill have to work my ass off to beat him, if he doesnt break another bunch of bones, (watch out for the late brake into t1 bitch). i love having that little crazy bunch of races early on then a nice long break before doing it all again. august is great, we do need the race date then, but im going to miss the march date. it was always cool seeing the boys from up north that early on. plus having another race up on everyone else was great. that and im probably going to miss 2/3 of the indoor short track races in a month, with has me totally bummed.

anyway...yeah, it kinda sucks. i was already looking forward to it. save your money and time off and come to the newly repaved summit in april.

jc

#6 ·
whoo-hooo-

VIR is back on for march with a second date in august.

from Mongo on the WERA board:

"March 21-23 we're running a Friday practice. August 2-3. Both regionals, probably both MA/NE regions."

let's make this a big race to start the CAFERACER.NET-CUP series.

-tt

#9 ·
stephen-

first off. seriously, congratulations on this season. sitting frustrated, watching a couple of your races from the stands, you looked racier than i'd ever seen on the track. you don't control the grids and you took every race of the season...sounds like an indisputable championship to me. it killed me not to be up there racing with you, not 'cause i think i would have taken the championship, but because i just plain wanted to be out there racing along/infront/behind/around with you. we both had better bikes this past season and it's just a damn shame we didn't get to enjoy them together. sure, i really want to win some races and it's more fun to battle for a podium spot, but nothing is more fun than the battles we've had back in the mid-pack....or that i've had with MikeO, or a back-of-the-pack Sanel RD350, or d'Angleo at summit, or just with clancy in his own mind. basically, championship points are just fodder for forums and trash talk and simply represent what you already knew...you had a great season. again, congrats...and i hope i can give you a good run as you defend your title.

so hell yeah, it'd be great if we could fill up a grid at VIR. i had a bitch of a time just showing up last year with car troubles and didn't get to the gate until after 3am, then didn't get in the gate until after 7am. no time for final prep, no time to set up pits, just enough time to register, get dressed and go out for practice. once out, the bike was really slow with what turned out to be a floating vavle seat. hell, even clancy passed me on the straight a couple of times in practice. (i love how clancy considers chris marshall's old national champion, braced frame, fancy suspension, water-buff front brake, pvl bike, a clapper)

that said, it was an amazing day. that track is so different from NHIS or Summit. first, it provides a ton of racing, a good lap is right around 2:00min. then, my little tangled up mess of a bike never handled so well as it did on that surface, i didn't find a bump or a groove or a rough transition anywhere (inluding when i blew T3 late in the day and went into the runoff). the elevation changes are an absolute hoot, nothing about the layout looks complicated, but most corners are a real puzzle. then there was the weather, i had to shovel a path of snow from the front of my garage to get the bike out, i had been working on the truck at night in 4deg temps...then all of the sudden, 30 hours later, i'm out on a race bike in the 70deg sun.

so stephen, or any other of you northern guys, my house is just off I-84 on your way to VIR or Summit (just about 5.5hrs from NHIS, 5hrs from Summit, and 9hrs from VIR). anytime you want to make one of the WERA races, you're more than welcome to stop over. You can spend a night or we can re-load for a carpool, or just stop for coffee and a caravan. but whatever, let's do this thing. USCRA and WERA are BOTH great clubs...racing is racing and it's what we all get off on.

best-
tt

#13 ·
jeff-

the FCB prepped 350 can run in 350GP, 500GP, and V3. 350 and 500 are usually just about the same grid. if Dave Roper shows on his italian HD, he takes both classes. if Aron Ahlstrom shows and his Ducati is in good shape, he's very hard if not impossible to run with. and appearently now there are some really fast southern guys showing up. V3 is a huge bump class and tex and i are usually the only ones to go out on 350s, just for seat time. the one time i had a strong bike, i was able to stay on the lead lap, but usually my goal is just not to get lapped by mid-packers.

c'mon down-
tt

#15 ·
everyones right. the track is fantastic. although for smoothness, id rate mid ohio even better. but vir is awesome. for several reasons. the history. the challenge. its location. just going there is exciting. but getting to actually race there is amazing. its something you shouldnt pass up on. skip the banquet if you have to. go to vir. do it noce while you can. you wont be disappointed.

jc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.