Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Yamaha Virago 750 Monoshock
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

A friend of mine told me this is the place to have those in the know help out with builds so here I am humbly asking for advice :).

I am putting together a Virgao 750 cafe and have just purchased myself a set of R1 forks for her from a seller who gave up on his 750 project. Looking at the stem on the R1 triple tree, it has definitely been swapped out for a virago stem - so it should be an easy swap. My only wonder is how has this been done? Can the R1 stem be hammered out and replaced with the virago one PROPERLY? I would hate to finish the project only to have the forks fall away at speed and nose dive concrete.
Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to being a part of the forum!

Screenshot 2020-12-07 at 19.46.11.png

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
From here it looks like you have acquired somebody's failed modification project, I'd be pulling that apart to see if the top clamp holes line up with the bottom clamp holes first.

Then stick the bottom yoke into your frame to see how badly things fit, then you will know what you need to buy or scratch build.

You're going to know if those parts are any good once you take it apart, is it in align and is it solid as all **** and do the bearings fit nice :/ it's an unknown until you try to reassemble it.
My guess is you are looking at a virago bottom yoke with big holes drilled in them and a home built top yoke because now the forks are to close together to be correct for an R1 top yoke

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
IF that is an R1 bottom yoke, somebody ground the steering stops completely off,
brilliant move, now what are your soft aluminum fork tubes going to be hitting? or are the bars going to hit the tank before that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there, thanks for your input! I have taken the thing apart and yes, it seems to be an R1 bottom yoke with the steering stops ground off 🤦‍♂️. So I think honestly it kind of renders the stem concern irrelevant at this point as now I will need a new bottom yoke regardless. - As you said they will be slamming against the tank when cornering... I might just bite the bullet and get the whole setup from Cognitio... at least then I'll be sure it's custom made for application.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Did you change the fork oil yet?
drain it into a clear glass container so you can inspect it for contaminants.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not yet, I'll keep the forks and wheel etc, just chuck the triple tree and get a new one sorted out :) there ain't no point wrecking good parts because of some genius's move to modify bits.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I ordered a front fork stanchion tube today, it's going to cost 570$ canadian, I'm looking at about 800 by the time I add the seals and bushings. Plus a new rear fender sticker heavy, throttle cable, exhaust cover, spark plugs and an oil dipstick ... that sob is 26 bucks, try not to lose one of those :LOL: the previous owner did away with it to save weight

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Of course they ground off the stops! What makes you think the stops will hit the frame in the same place as it did on the R1 frame? Don’t toss the triple just because of THAT! You can make your own stops and locate them where that need to be.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i need a refresher. please remind me what a virgao 750 is. virago? either one. post a pic so i know what everybody is talking about.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have swapped out the tube in triple clamps before with out much trouble but I've never enlarged the holes for where the fork tubes go . It looks like the aluminum part of the triple clamp is very thin now. If you look at the underside of the clamp and if where it's bored out for the fork tubes is thinner than the webs on the clamp I wouldn't trust it! They make the clamps thicker there on aluminum clamps for safety.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I will keep the triple tree around but am not overly confident in it - not sure i'll actually use it. I have been in touch with the seller and have been told the following:

The stem has not been swapped out, both the bottom Yoke and Stem are stock from an R1 (1997 I believe) and the top yoke is a hand made billet piece that I did myself. The whole set up has got different tapered bearings and some spacers to make it fit to the Virago frame.

So nothing has been bored out of the bottom yoke it would seem, which is a huge plus.

For point of reference this is a Virago:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Of course they ground off the stops! What makes you think the stops will hit the frame in the same place as it did on the R1 frame? Don’t toss the triple just because of THAT! You can make your own stops and locate them where that need to be.
Ya, he could just weld a couple of big ugly bent bolts onto the steel frame where the bottom yoke will hit those first.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
The stock stem is pressed in.
I think I have a set here somewhere (or maybe 750? I got them for an XS650 project that's stalled)
Getting stem out is pretty easy with a decent press, longish tube and a little heat. (presses down from top)
That isn't a Virago stem though as they are steel and welded into original steel yoke.
How does the length compare to bike sitting level on stand? (if you haven't checked you need to before putting casters on crankcase)
R1 fork is slightly longer than most USD forks but spring rate is probably way too soft

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Ya, he could just weld a couple of big ugly bent bolts onto the steel frame where the bottom yoke will hit those first.
If you don’t know how to fabricate steering stops on a lower triple with some spacers and bolts and make it look good, you’re in the wrong hobby.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts