Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I was going to take a break from motorcycles today, but I guess I shoudn't have gone on Craig's List this morning. But what better way to celebrate Independence then with beer, bar-b-que, and a new bike. Fall Giro here I come!

1967 Wards Riverside Benelli 125. 100% operational, 100% original- down to mucho faded paint and 1973 Duke U. parking sticker. Included in sale is sexy cafe bodywork, wheels, new exhaust, parts book and owners manual. And 10 minutes from my house.

This thing is a hoot.

See ya'all in Vermont in September.

Happy 4th! Now I have to catch up on my beer consumption and light the grill.

Cheers,
Leo

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Leo,

cool bike. When you replace that muffler with the NOS one, sell it to me if it will fit my Duc 160.

Jack

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:When you replace that muffler with the NOS one ...
Which brings up the question. This thing is original down to 40 year old Pirellis, early '70's Duke and LSU parking stickers (this little bike got around) and fork lock key now forever one with its cylinder.

Not that this thing is the long lost Hailwood I.O.M. Wards Riverside thought to be gone forever and now found locked away in a garden shed in New Zealand. But clean it up, new rubber and ride it, or dive in and sex it out with the new body work and shiny NOS bits. And the board says....... I'm eager for input.

Jack, if the NOS stuff winds up going on, you have dibs.

FR- where are you? You up for this? Mark stopped over after Ralph and Gail's Friday night and the beers were barely cracked before Mark was making claims on the Sears bike. Says you guys talked about running the Giro a few years back. This would be too much fun.

bcr- timings tough I know. Any chance. Maybe support crew?

Cheers,
Leo

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Leo,

I like patina---you should see my ducati! I vote clean it up but leave it as is, then sell me your NOS muffler....

Oh, of course put on new tires, tubes, any other expendables--patina coupled with renewed mechanicals is best!

Jack

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
leo,

tank and seat as you are probably aware are mojave 360 stuff. completely wrong for this bike. i'd say sell those on ebay (probably fetch $500-600), buy another champy rim, some stainless spokes and nipples, repaint the tin (looks good from photos), install the NOS exhaust, and source some shocks.

maybe to prove me wrong (not that you'd do that!?!?!?!) you could mock up the mojave tank and seat. i think you find it looks uber ghey and ruins the nice wards aesthetic. those riverside tanks are one of my favorites.

nice score!

texy

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Texy is almost right, except don't paint the tins. They are good enough and I like the original patina. It looks lived in.

Ken

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Leo-
great find. IMHO it's a stocker. clean it up a little but the patina of antiquity is hard earned and not to be messed with. I think tex nailed it on the seat tank combo (sell'm and recoup some doerayme), besides the original seat/tank rock. 4x steel wool and wd40 to the cases and see what happens.
fall giro? It could happen, but it looks like I'm getting my nut in indy. None the less small bore shenanigans will happen. congrats on your new scoot.
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Leo,
Nice find. I'd say keep it as close to original as you can.

Yeah, I've been wondering when the heat would come, a 'Giro in VT and here I am. I hope Mark does want the Sears, he can put some time in on it. I've been pulled too many ways to know what my plans are. Def going to Indy. If I can get my little CB125 to not leak gas I'd enter that in the Giro but I don't know if a '75 CB125S is allowed...

FR

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Texy,

I thought the same about the tank/seat so I went up to the attic and found my Mojave tank to compare it with. There are no circles for the badges to go in, and the the Mojave tanks don't have the mounting ears in the front--they are held on by a bolt going up the middle, ala Triumph. It is a slightly different shape too.

Could it be an old Rickman Mettise setup?

Frank your CB125, 1975 is probably too new to compete, especailly if it has a disc brake in front. Mogu runs a CB125, but he had to make some changes for it to be allowed in. I am not sure of the year on his.

Jack

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:you could mock up the mojave tank and seat. I think you'll find it looks uber ghey and ruins the nice wards aesthetic.
I probably won't be able to resist mocking it up to just satisfy my curiosity. But uber ghey will probably wind up being a fair assessment. The Wards tank really is handsome, spotless inside, and will be tough to beat. Plus, if the Mojave (?) stuff can bring that kind of money, well, that's a nobrainer.

It came with not only two new wheels, but new spokes too, so thats tempting.

Trouble is, the old you do one thing, and then something else sticks out like a sore thumb and looks like hell.

So I'm reluctant to do much more then bcr's advice of 4x and WD.

Maybe it will wind up being a test of character to see if I can not f*ck with something for once.

Cheers,
Leo

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
jack good point on the tank.....

but i believe the seat at least is mojave...i could be wrong, i normally am!

check it out:

texy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts