Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
electronic on my 72
points on my 76
stock electronic on my xs650

electronic is the way to go if there is a cheap kit out there for your bike. but points ain't a bike deal to adjust once a year.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Points on my cb750 '75 daily rider (although I am switching)

Electronic on my 78 cb750 dunstall

points on my 78 cb750 stocker

points on my t500s (all of them)

stock CDI on the kaw triples.

jerry, what bike do you want to run electronic on? Points

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run a 1974 CB350F cafe racer with ponts. I am not too familiar with points though. Just trying to figure out if I need to go electronic or not.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
if you contact honda man on the sohc4.net forums he has an igniton box that workes like an MSD, keeps the points but makes it a trigger so there is not as much current passing through and they don't wear out as fast.

The only difference between electronic and points is that points wear out and need to be replaced. other than that a good set of properly set up points works as well as any dyna s. Points are easy to work with, setting them up is the same as setting magnetic pickup ignitions, only insead of a magnetic trigger you have a little cam that opens and closes the points hammers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
75 CB550-K, Electronic, I hate points can never get them right.

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
I run points on my 74. it keeps that vintage feel.
everything else i own. is Y2K powered. EFI and 32bit ecm's

but my old vintage road racer will always have points. i have so many spare parts for it that my bike once its up and running will live for ever. i keep finding deal after deal on NOS and good used parts on ebay. plus i just picked up another complete low mileage 1973-74 CB125S
will be selling the one piece cylinder head and the 122cc marked cylinder if anyone knows any vintage 125cc class racers tell them to email me at [email protected] as i have a complete cylinder and head with cam and piston for the vintage class rules.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts