Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
All the fast guys use VTR250 forks. Very high quality stuff. Replace those crappy CB500 forks with a set of modern / vintage legal forks.

Craig

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
its really tempting, but i love my ss forks. shit.....

jc

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They really are nice forks...probably about the peak of the "damper rod" design.
Bit of overkill for anything smaller than a 350. I probably should put them on my bike (which has crappy CB550/4 forks :).
JohnnyB

PS...I'll include a set with the race bike if it sells :)

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
do you have any pics? what makes them better? too much to be used on a cb160? why?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll take some pics, but it's kind of pointless...they just look like forks.
A bit much for most smaller bikes cause they are 35mm, and unnecessarily strong in most cases, more weight without a big improvement unless you are running crap forks now. Yes I run 35mm forks on my 175 race bike...but that's me, I like to do stoppies.

I think I have one set with trees, one set without, I'll have to look.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
im interested in a set. the ones with trees if you have them. paypal? shipping?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a pic.
Forks on the left are from the "enclosed disk" model, with stock trees. Forks on the right are from the standard disk model, trees on the right do not go with the forks, they are ducati trees.
Yep I'll ship, yes I take paypal.
JohnnyB
PS. Also note the difference in axle clamps, one uses two clamps, the other uses a through hole and one clamp.
PSS. Forgot to measure the length...gimme a few hours.

Craig...got any input on the differences etc ??

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
what wheel do you need to run with these?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
If you look at the forks on the left and the right and notice the lugs near the top of the fork sliders. These are used to mount the fender on the stock bike. The lugs on the left set are "different" from the norm. The ones on the right set allow you to mount a brake stay for a drum brake easily. The ones on the left set require a little more effort. The axle set up is different for the two forks as well. The right set would allow a normal Honda CB350,450,550 type axle. The left set either requires the axle from that vtr bike or someone that could fab up an axle. Or, I think, the more modern Hondas used that set up. The internals of both sets are the same.

Craig

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And there you have it!

I knew Craig would know these forks.

Steve, I'll bring one or both sets to the track.

JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forks on the right are sold to Lonewolf, along with the clamps off the forks on the left.
Again....the Ducati clamps do not come with either set of forks. Those are for sale seperately.

So the forks tubes on the left are still for sale.....how about $50? Would make nice spare upper tubes and internals for someone already running VTR forks...hint hint.
JohnnyB

PS. Forks are 31.5" from axle centerline to top of tubes.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Give me a day on that, I'd have to weigh them.

By the way, took a close look at the forks on the left, they would take a standard honda 15mm axle if you just drill out the left side tube where's it's threaded. The big end of a honda 15mm axle fits in the clamp side, the small end fits in the other side until it hits the threads.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Couldn't you also take the standard 15mm axle and turn down the small end to the proper thread size to fit in the threads in the fork tube? Instead of trying to drill the fork tube.

Craig

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah....you could do that instead.
Course from the looks of it, would just be easier to get a VTR axle, at 15mm it seems like it would work with most vintage honda front wheels. Actually...I think I like that single clamp better...that much less to lock wire.
JohnnyB

1 - 20 of 26 Posts