Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question for the VW nutz out there. my bug is fine, they just don't make them like they did in 1960 anymore. it's my MK2 Jetta, it keeps getting flooded everytime it rains and i can't seem to find where it's comming from. any thoughts??
mahalo
---c

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
The plastic liner in front of the firewall is usually where they leak. Also its seems more like you have moisture in your carb than it flooding if it happens when it rains. If this is the case than you suspet is actually the distributor cap.

Aaron

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
just drill holes in your floorboards. whalla...no more flooding. just kidding. i dont know anything about the new h2o dubs. a 60 huh??? very cool. post a picy of it. if my scanner worked, id put one up of the one we used to have.

jc

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the engine is not the problem it's the floor getting flooded with water. i am redoing the car this summer so drilling is not really an option. yes a '60, i restored it over a four year period and drove it for a year, i am going to be doing some more soon. as they say it's a work in progress, real smart looking though. as soon as i get a pic of it i will post it here first.
---c

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i could take a pic of a pic of our old one and post it. it was a 72. white. a bug. lowered in the front. big swaybar. ran 42mm dellotos for a while. also ran a single solex and a set of baby webers too. it lost a rocker arm locking ring out on the pike one night and swallowd a valve. shaved fenders, empi style wheels. hurst shifter. big fat tires. custom interior. you know the deal... it was a real blast to drive. but what maintanance disaster with those fat tires and dropped front end. we broke 2 ball joints in it. it also dented when you looked at it. we still miss driving it. there were no heaterboxes in it since we were running headers. the vent in the hood was wide open to the inside of the car, so when you drove in the snow, it would blow out of the vents and straight into the air in front of you inside the car. kinda like being in your own giant snowglobe!

jc

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like a hoot to drive. ya know i have been restoring these old buggers since 1992 and have always managed to have increadable heat. anyway there are no pics of my bug except before paint but that's no fun. if you want to do a foliage run in vermont, i'm in brattleboro and the leaves are at peek. i'm itching to tear into my projects and that includes the jetta to bad i need it to get through the winter. aaaarrrrrgggggg!!!!! i'm going to rebuild the suzuki on my own this winter any ideas on powdercoating vs. paint on the frame??
aloha
---c

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
If its something you plan on keeping for a while I would go the powder coating direction. It will probably last you the length you own the bike and is very durable.

Aaron

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
the problem with powder coating is its such tough stuff, that if you want to weld the frame after you powder coat it, it can be a real pain in the ass to get it off. at least thats what ive been told. i wanted to powder coat my new race bike frame, but was talked out of it for that reason. we sold our bug about 3 years ago. the heating system seems pretty efficient if they work. its when they rust or those door cables break. it would have been great fun to have the support of other bug people when we lived in boston. there just really wasnt anyone we liked. it would have been real cool to run around with some other bugs on a sun or sat am. oh well.

later
jc

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I would second the powder coating. however, its not bulletproof. its really the same material as paint but just applied in a different manner which allows a thicker, more bonded coat. when it comes to removing for welding I would say a grinder should work fine (not the hoagie kind)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so let me get this straight...a good meatball & sausage will not work?? such a shame, i love them. i am going with the powder coating. just got in touch with lynd motorsports and in a couple of weeks i'm going to talk with them about the engine/trany priceing. as for the jetta, i hate cars. my bug needs a picture taken, will get done soon. so any good powder coating places in my area??

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
well, the thing to remember is that a racebike is completely different and put into different situations than a street bike. i.e. "oh shit, my frames cracked from that crash" then if you want it to look nice again, a simple spray job in the shop isnt going to work. plus it adds time to fixing before the next pregrd call, all that eating you know. so i think thats probably why for a racer, its not the best.
for a street bike, id say its more than desirable. it should last for years and look great.

sorry, cant help ya out with a shop to do it up there. if i hear from my friends who live up there anytime in the next year, i'll get a name if i can.

jc

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well so much for a late autumn run. woke up this morning to the first snow, the first for me in two years...why am i back in VT?? oh yeah i love it here. thank god my bikes are covered. i need a garage AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!
---c

1 - 13 of 13 Posts