Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a visual lesson in seat tail section ,using the back of a stock fuel tank(WAR HORSE SEAT).Also strange ...."CROP CIRCLES"

"WAR HORSE" seat pictures are the final design over all with minor details left like very minimal graphics.And closed cell seat cushion and cover.

"BOXER" seat is in the earliest stages tacked together but you get the Idea of the shape still will be contoured more like the tank.

Tank cap drillings two different designs I did I like them both but tje big holed one I like more!

http://www.georgescustomcars.com/seats.html and If you want to see in the beginning go here http://www.georgescustomcars.com/Untitled2.html

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 16 2005 06:25:14 AM

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 16 2005 10:01:48 AM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
as far as crop circles go its not aliens or abductions ITS THAT DAMN PROBING! that frightens me!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
hey bull,

If I send you a crappy tank and some dimensions, do you think you could make me one of those great seats, with an oil tank in the tail? What would you charge?

MY welder is still in aussie land.

Edited by - geeto67 on Nov 16 2005 2:36:24 PM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey Geetoo, can you draw what your thinking, I can do it.and what about the oil tank draw it and I can do!! The seats arent expensive (well for caferacer.net guys and Dahli Lahma 2's )they just look that way...they do look cool .I cant wait to get the thin closed cell foam and top stiching and Piping done BAMM!! that'll set off the rawness of the tank . Maybe leather even who!!! hoo!!

George
Geeto you get the back door discount anyway.

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 16 2005 7:13:48 PM

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 16 2005 8:14:56 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
hey Geetoo, can you draw what your thinking, I can do it.and what about the oil tank draw it and I can do!! The seats arent expensive (well for caferacer.net guys and Dahli Lahma 2's )they just look that way...they do look cool .I cant wait to get the thin closed cell foam and top stiching and Piping done BAMM!! that'll set off the rawness of the tank . Maybe leather even who!!! hoo!!

George
Geeto you get the back door discount anyway.

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 16 2005 7:13:48 PM

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 16 2005 8:14:56 PM
Geeto you get the back door discount anyway. <---------Um...your a cool guy and I like you as a friend but I don't really swing that way, sorry to have to let you down like this, I know it must break your heart.....

ok badly written gay jokes aside, let's get down to bid-ness

Yeah I can draw it, with dimensions. But basiaclly what I was thinking was since you use the back of a gas tank to make your seat backs, for me you just enclose the bottom and seat back and adapt the fuel filler cap off the donor tank to the back of the seat hump. make sense? It will also need about a 1/2 bung on the bottom (not sure of the size yet) to run my 1/2" ID oil line out. I'll send you an e-mail with more specifics.

I like the cap drilling idea. I always wanted to do that but I was unsure if it would cause venting of the fuel tank right into my helmet. now that I see it might not, I will have to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those drilled cap i want to be clear are not the "actual" cap ......This is the real cool part, the picture doesnt show the detail you see up close !!

What i mean is, this is not the gas cap! But these tanks have a "cover"
Its what you see drilled. Then you use a key to ....open the (drilled)gas cap "cover"....then you lift it and the actual cap is accessible....here is the coolest part "vissually" Is you, look, when the cover is down, in position, over the cap and you can see the cap thru the cover (now thats very old school Ferrari).."That seventies italian exoctica...Looking Stuff"

And I can make a seat like the one I have on my bike except my seat bolt in three place one(which has to bolts)from the original tank mount braket,under the seat there needs to be a holde drill at the cross rail you willsee(thats the second mount point ) and the third mount point for this seat is the old seat/rear fender mount cross brace(two bolts.

remember on this cb450 frame I have cut off and shaved, seat hinges seat hinge lock ,seat and helmet look so it made for true racer style seat..thats why its so kick ass it looks like this seat is hot for the track..seat is pure bad assalso on this bike battery box has custom mount (Lowered battery in the frame).I can make it for standard battery location so not to worry there ...if i had the original seat or the original mounts I could have made you one that hinged like stoock and lock and still retained helmet locok but I have shaved the brackets and long threw out the old seat.

Geeto67 what kind of bike?by the way you didnt say.

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 18 2005 07:01:21 AM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
geeto67 what bike were you thinking of putting seat and tank into .

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
geeto67 what bike were you thinking of putting seat and tank into .
I have a 1978 supersport honda (2 of them actually) that I am bored with as a stocker (oh and the seat is ripped and I don't really want to recover it). the 1977 and 78 are the only Single cams that take tubless tires and despite being heavier were as fast as the original 1969s. Tons of room in the frame to do lots of custom tricks (they have a glove box under the seat as big as the oil tank). I already have a 1976 supersport that was built into a cafe racer back in the day (lots of original and rare dunstal parts and old school tricks but with stock bodywork...it looks sweet) and I was looking to do a more custom looking racer using the stock tank.

What I want is a tail section that has the same shape and ridges as the tank and that doubles as the oil tank. I want to open the center of the rame up like a race bike and really make it look like a racer on the street.

Other than that I don't know what else I want to do with it....yet

Edited by - Geeto67 on Nov 20 2005 8:06:35 PM

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey geeto those supersport tanks ...are they as long as they look.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
hey geeto those supersport tanks ...are they as long as they look.
I don't know how long they look to you but they are longer than a standard 1969-1976 tank. I think they are even longer than the 1977-1978 K tanks (which are also huge). They look like they have an extra 3-5 inches on a standard cb750K tank. The K tank uses a tab that sticks out at the end of the tank that slided into rubber. On a suppersport tank this same tab uses the same rubber mounting spot, but the tank covers the tab by at least an inch past its end.

what is nice about the tank is that it will still fit all the cb750s provided you use a different seat. I think it may even slide on the 550 if you are using a different seat.

If you want I could measure one for you, I have a few lying around.

I've seen guys take a stock supersport tank and have it chromed and it looks killer, like a polished aluminum tank. When you chrome a factory honda tank, most people don't recognize it for some reason.

here is a pic of a chrome tank of a 1969-1976 K bike. Most people ask him how he got a bsa tank to work on a SOHC honda:

http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=2031.0

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have given a lot of thought to trying to construct a gastank seat. I think it would be cheaper then buying one, besides... DIY is what im all about. Besides if i screw up ... i can just get it right the next time. I guess the best bet is to purchase a cb450 seat (like the one i have) and take the seat off, cut and weld the rear gastank part onto the seat fram, then... im lost on the covering. leather? or do they use something else now days? i want snaps for sure, but i have never built a seat... i reupholsterd my mustangs seats... but thats east... any pointers on how to build a seat from scratch and use snaps?
david

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
I have given a lot of thought to trying to construct a gastank seat. I think it would be cheaper then buying one, besides... DIY is what im all about. Besides if i screw up ... i can just get it right the next time. I guess the best bet is to purchase a cb450 seat (like the one i have) and take the seat off, cut and weld the rear gastank part onto the seat fram, then... im lost on the covering. leather? or do they use something else now days? i want snaps for sure, but i have never built a seat... i reupholsterd my mustangs seats... but thats east... any pointers on how to build a seat from scratch and use snaps?
david
If you are going to use snaps, my advise is to use vynil instead of leather for the seat material and to get a weatherproof material with weatherproof backing to keep mold and mildew at bay. Most upolstry shops that deal with boat interiors should be able to hook you up with the best stuff. You are going to need a special tool to put the snaps into the fabric (oh and you want the big Friggin snaps too) so check around the crafts store. in putting the snaps in you want the seat tight so it is best to put them symetrically and then do one side of the fabric and then the other for placement. As far as making the actual cover...there is no shame in letting professionals do the work, unless your girlfriend is an awsome seamstress.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
getting a stock seat bottom is a good way to go if you plan on using the stock attachment points. start with two pieces of metal I form into "L" shaped and fit them one side then the other over the frame rail where I want it then cut a flat piece the width of that to form the seat base ,with that I fit the tank and determin over all length and fit the tail piece, to that with vise grips, and sit on the bike and see how that feels move as needed then tack weld it up then i work on the mount points and attach metal as and where its needed.
then I finnish the seat and fully weld it up then grind down welds and wire brush them with a electric grinder with wire wheel attachment then dual action sand(DA) the entire thing to get that even metal worked look .
Good luck making your seat its fun work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awesome. pretty much what I had in mind, but its good to see it typed out and know that im somewhat on the right path, ha. I drew it all out last night to scale and am looking for a tank and another seat now. Any tank suggestions? Im looking for a more teardroped shaped tank. I am mounting this on a cb450, so i guess i should stick to something about that size or smaller for the seat. Im going to bust this project out in decemeber after i get my garage in order. So i have plenty of time to shop around and look for the perfect tank candidate (as well as a used seat frame). I will post pictures once i start this little adventure.
david

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ascentofstan2 you may want to check out vonblonde.com web site for somemore inspiration,its another cafe web magazine,

http://metalshapers.org/pros/ and this site "SCOUR IT" it has a lot of metal working tips ,books,videos....if you want to know where everyone learned making something out of metal from scratch THIS IS IT "the true source BAR NONE"
George

1 - 15 of 15 Posts