Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have read a lot about the newbie bashing, so i will save you the trouble. i really think i screwed up on the new bike. when i got my cb200t, for $200, i new i got a sweet deal and loved everything about that bike. well i decided i needed a bike that could make the freeway trek to work, and what better than a Cafe. so i looked high and low for the pefect bike and stumbled upon an 81' CB750K. i thought this was the best thing in the world, then i relized that all of the cafe bike i drooled over were SOHC's. now finding parts isn't an issue, but as i am building it i look at all the pic's i have snapped of the bike i want to be riding and all i see is that solid looking sohc with a kickstart. please beat me up for this one because need to know if it worth keeping.

Thanks all

here are some pics.

http://oneworden.googlepages.com/home

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Looks like a good start. I won't offer any advice on what you should do, but if it were mine, I would shorten up the stock rear fender from the end under the seat and put it on. I would lace up alloy rims ( I use the 18" ones off of old dirt bikes, cause they are cheap on e-bay). I would rebuild the forks, replace the rear shocks and tires. I would consider a 4-1 exhaust but the stock 4-4 looks pretty good right now, with the other chrome you have on there. With only the single disc on the front I would get good pads and a stainless steel brake line.I think Psycho69 put a CB750F rear section on his frame for the seat and tail, but it required welding.
I liked the DOHC.

Ken

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well the DOHC are much faster and do come with better frames, suspension and brakes. The SOHC are cooler and simpler to work with though in my opinion.

It was a rear subframe from a 70s 750F and the seat and cowl came from a 80 750F. Yea it required welding, but it really wasn't that tough, I just had to make some brackets, some cutting and alot of measuring. Personally if I've seen a original K rear fender I would have used it cause it looks like a factory cafe bump seat, with a lot of more cushion than most of use would use. I think you have a good project with lots of potential

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Use the nifty search function, and find catboy's DOHC cb750. Should be all the inspiration you need.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've never heard of DOHC remorse. IMHO, super sports rock; hit the bins and start upgrading.
What is your girlfriend's take on the zip tied foam biposto solution?
cheers, bcr

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
dual discs up front with stainless lines. wrap the headers back to the mufflers...or replace the system into a 4 in 1 (there is an english company that makes a pretty sweet set for sohc, but i imagine they make dohc too). i'd do a solo bump stop seat, but i'd make it modular (with the rear cowl removable) so you could do two-ups occasionally. then of course what ken said too.

but first things first...get it running and reliable.

good luck...keep us posted!

tex

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Nothing wrong with the DOHC bikes - I'd like to have a CB 1100f to add to the collection..

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow...so there is a following out there on the DOHC's. i feel like every search that i do comes up with nothing, but the SOHC's. like i also said this is my first 750 so i wanted to make sure i had it right.

about the seat, i do a lot of nasty weather riding and the fiance always makes fun of me asking if i brought a spare seat/towel with me.

I really do appreciate all the help, i am still trying to figure out the direction to go with my bike. my big plan, and next project is to dent the tank. i am thinking pockets for the bars and sliming the rear of the tank a bit. i already took about a half inch all the way around the seat pan and have an upolstery shop up the street from me to rock out after my foam shaping.

this winter will be the major gutting, painting, and fabrication through out the bike and i will update you all with my pics along the way.

again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I would say there is a lot more uncharted territory in working with the DOHC Honda. Most of the mods made o them were of the superbike variety to the F model. There wasn't much done to the C or K. If you enjoy fabrication you should have fun with it.

Ken

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

If you enjoy fabrication you should have fun with it.

Ken
i don't know what i would do without my welder.

I really appreciate the input from everyone. if anyone has pictures of there 750 DOHC's it would be a huge help.

Judeyramone - i looked over Catboy's CB and WOW...that is a great direction to go. i really enjoyed the customer rear sets!! thanks!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The only fuckup you did was posting that you think you made a mistake buying a DOHC cb750.

if you need a forum for the DOHC bikes:

cb1100f.net and cb900c.com (might be .net not sure).

becareful on the F site, those guys can get kinda persnickety if they find out you own a K bike, on the other hand they have all the service manuals online for free so def check it out.

The other big fuckup you did was you bought a bike without doing your research. I am an avid cb750 supersport fan over any other DOHC for several reasons:

- dual disc brakes
- rear disc brake
- sportier riding position
- thicker wall tubing in the frame for added rigidity.
- chain drive (K bikes and 750s are chain drive but the 900c and 1000c are shafties).

however all is not lost, you can easily convert the front end to dual disc mag with the supersport pieces, although the rear might take a little work the front is a bolt on. IF you want more power, go find a wrecked 900F and swap the motor in. you wont have the frame rigidity of the supersport but you can brace it if you know how to weld (which it looks like you do).

if you are looking for bodywork, benjie has just finished his tank/seat setups for DOHC bikes (it is listed as coming soon on his website but he has had ebay auctions for it for the last couple of weeks)
http://www.benjiescaferacer.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts