Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone here want one? I have an extra one, very complete and even have the forks and good headstock.It can go to a good home. Just ring me, I don't care for lots of emailing back and forth and this forum doesn't have a PM feature.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be awake for a short while and get up about 6am CST

not usually much for talk until after 8 unless it's with my girl

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be awake for a short while and get up about 6am CST

not usually much for talk until after 8 unless it's with my girl

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
rosko doesn't need to slow down. his bike weighs 250 now.......with that brake he'll be back up to 275.

that is reverse engineering!

send it to me instead.

texy

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hoof, do you really believe the Roadholders are better forks than the Suzuki forks?

I'm of the opinion they are almost as good, but not quite.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okie dokie....... I hope you guys don't make me lace this one to a shouldered 18 inch alloy

have the spokes and rim to do it but I don't think I really need a complete spare wheel for my ride

but now that I think about it, my other one isn't laced with stainless spokes and really should be

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
if its not clear, i think rosko wants it. if not, how should someone contact ya??

jc

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
guys-

i'm tellin' ya. johnnyB's set up on the 450 drum rocks now that i have it adjusted and fresh with the race linings. granted, i haven't run it at NHmS yet, but i can't imagine the 4LS can stop things much quicker.

-tt

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i ran the 450 setup from vintage brake. the big difference i noticed between those 2 is that the 4ls was better in the rain. i noticed that immediately. with the agressivness needed by the 2ls, it was touchy in the rain. actually, not "better", but more linear. it had a more linear bite to it. it never seemed to get hot an have that bike that my race compound 2ls had. in the rain it never felt grabby. now this is only a comparison between my 4ls and the 2ls. and with the ferodo compound vs the stock zooks. the nice thing about the zook is you can buy the shoes from the local suzooki dealer. which is nice. honestly i think my bike is over braked, but im pretty happy with my 4ls. i wont go back to a 2ls. and ive had the vin race 450, the vin race 350, and now the 4ls. an my bike is still lighter than yours.

jc

jc

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, waiting to hear back from Mr R

anyhow, my number is in my profile info

consider the mathematical absurdity of that brake with much more swept area not being able to do what a smaller one does........

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
oh hackA-

i'm not saying that the bigger 4ls isn't mathematically better, or even realistically better. hell, i'm just one weekend into a proper rotor setup to begin with. i'm just saying that i was braking about as deep as i could imagine and still turning in a little slower than needed with the 450 hub. and this discussion is nearly a dead horse anyway, i'm just saying that a well done 450 hub on the little CB350 seems to me to be enough brake...that's without adding more unsprung weight to the equation....which is what josie was hedging. but hell, who knows, i might just blow a nut if i tried the buffalo?

and yeah joe, your bike is pounds and pounds lighter with mathmatically superior brakes, but superior lap times are what we count.

-tt

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hacksaw, I've never owned a Suzuki, other than an RG500 for a season. I've never had a problem with the Norton's handling. As far as I'm concerned Norton got it right and if my riding was as good as the Norton's handling I'd be giving Rossi a run for the money.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the tubes are stronger/larger for starters

the hydraulics are in the same ball park but I'd give the nod to the newer fork

I used the 450 DLS on the front of one of my bikes

great brake and much lighter than the inferior performing Triumph DLS

conical or pre-71

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Joe... good insight on the 450 and the rain....just my problem right now..I'm running a T500 a bit stronger even than the 450, and with the aggressive VB shoes I have in it, it's a bitch in the rain, specially with a 220 lb 200gp bike. I'm switching over to the same compound I'm putting in the 450 brakes, and when I get a chance, building a new wheel using a 450 brake. But you made a good point to remember...better bigger and linear with lots of feel, than smaller and aggressive.

That said...yeah a 220mm 4LS is a bit much for a light CB350, but doable in the rain with OEM shoes. Fully tuned that 4LS would be a monster on a 350. But..my guess is, like TT says, you might do better saving the ten pounds and using a good setup 450/305 with a good linear compound like I'm putting in them now. Although being happy and confident with your brake the way it is, is very important. I have a soft spot for those Buffalo brakes...nice piece of work.

TT, NHMS will give that brake a workout, T-3 is just a bitch anyway you look at it. Use a tad of rear brake too and it should haul you down in plenty of time. It probably still has some improvement in it too, might pickup another 5-10% after a few practice rounds at NHMS. The important thing is if it's better than what you had, a 200mm 2LS can only be so powerful no matter how good it's setup. But...probably as good as TWO stock CB350 brakes combined.
JohnnyB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts