Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to install some bar end mirrors on one of my Buell , but I am thinking that I will still want some weights in the bar to reduce vibration. I know what your thinking, a Buell vibrates??? that is what i thought too, but sure enough it does. I have heard stories of people filling there bars with BB's in order to keep them weighted. does this work? or can you buy in bar weights, like what was in the original bars on my CB750? I little googling didn't turn up much, but i have to figure out something if i plan on putting any miles on this season.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
you just need ballast of any safe sort.

my xs came w/ a rod in each bar. it literally slid out whenever i removed the grips.
how heavy are the mirrors? they may act as a dampener on their own.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping they will work out fine, but they are about half the weight

of the original bar end weights.

I will have to look up the parts diagram on some older bikes and see

what they are stuffing in there.

I am sure that i can make something on my own, but was really wondering

if anyone ever tried the BB's in the bars?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use lead shot in mine. Regular copper BB's really wont add much weight. You should be able to get lead shot at any fire arm's store.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is perfect, thanks for the help!

Looking around online it looks like I can get the lead shot in .177 size which should do nicely!!

also, did you notice much of a difference when you added the shot?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
why couldn't you use lead split shot sinkers? like for fishing. from an outdoor/fishing/sporting goods store? I'm sure you can't throw a rock in most of WI and not hit a bait shop. they come in a myriad sizes and weights.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The lead shot actually felt much better than the bar end weights. Maybe it was all in my head but it felt better to me any way. You could use lead sinkers too catboy. I just used the lead shot because I had some already. I suppose with the sinkers if you couldn't get it packed in tight you might get a little movement/rattle out of them, maybe. With the shot you pretty much fill the whole cavity and don't need to worry about that.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to buy 3 packs of .177 (BB Size) lead shot. got them off

of Amazon for $14 total with shipping! it was saying

that the BB's weighed in at 5.1g and the Lead BB's were 8.1g so i

really thing that will be a big difference.

Robin - Did you cap the bar ends with anything?

I was planning on putting my left mirror on and tilting the bike over

to fill the bars with shot, then just putting on the right mirror

once it is full. I have hears others putting RTV about 2" in the bar

incase you ever need to take off the mirror, but don't know if i will

do it.

Catboy - Your are correct, WI is filled with fishers and you can buy

bait at some really odd places. Found a live bait vending machine

at a bar I was at, guy said he owned 6 of them and made some good

$$$.

·
Registered
152 Posts
RTV works fine. You'll want to do something so you can take the mirrors off any time.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm...i will have to wonder through my cabiniet of junk. i think i have some roofing tar.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Man, I've never even heard of bar weights. Sounds like it's a common practice, though. Is weighting the bars just used to keep the mirrors from vibrating, or does it help with vibrations felt through your hands, too? Is vibration the only reason to do it or are there other benefits?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:i think i have some roofing tar.
I used to work at a lot of builder's supply houses, and I would suggest against use of roofing tar. It's gonna get gooey with heat (sun), and eventually will dry out (shrinkage). RTV, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
How about a cork? I can empty another wine bottle or 2 if it ill help you out. I have a bottle of Malbec and a Pinot Noir started, I can finish them both yet tonight if you need the corks.

Ken

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Ken, I appreciate the help!!

I acually really like the idea of the cork, and since I do not only buy box wine (though i always have one on reserve) I know I have a few laying around. Looks like if the lead BB's come in before the weekend I could have a nice project.

Though the auto show is going on thru this weekend so I may be side tracked.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the Milwaukee auto show was a bust...every manufacture was way to concervitive!! Though I am a fan of the new F150 SVT!

Well anyway I got my lead shot supply in the mail and I had ordered 3 250ct packages of lead .177 bb's. I guess I forgot how small a bb was.

I think that I will devide the packages in half for each grip and fill the center with normal bb's. because i am not spending $30 to fill my bars.

I will probably get some time on Friday to put it all together and maybe even to a March slush run with it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the Milwaukee auto show was a bust...every manufacture was way to concervitive!! Though I am a fan of the new F150 SVT!

Well anyway I got my lead shot supply in the mail and I had ordered 3 250ct packages of lead .177 bb's. I guess I forgot how small a bb was.

I think that I will devide the packages in half for each grip and fill the center with normal bb's. because i am not spending $30 to fill my bars.

I will probably get some time on Friday to put it all together and maybe even to a March slush run with it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate it Pinche, but this is going on my Buell. I think (becasue of the inverted fork) they are 43mm, but i don't know for sure.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate it Pinche, but this is going on my Buell. I think (becasue of the inverted fork) they are 43mm, but i don't know for sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts