Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right, ill be honest here, i dont know much about welding but fancy having a dig at it so i can have a pair of nice rearsets and a place to put me battery.
now ive done a little welding but that was when i was 16 and i cant seem to remember much. i have a friend whos darr has a welder but i know there are different types, its the one that shoots out the end and does all the hard work for you.
but i also think im right in saying you get different sizes or strenght welders, i think, like a 90, 100 120, or something.
really i wanna know what welder will do the job on my rearsets.

i think by this time you realise i dont know fuk all about welders haha any help would be great. cheers lads

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I'm not going to tell anyone here what I 'm welding with. I don't need the greif. Plus I'm not the welder I used to be. Whatever machine you get, it's pretty easy to do - it just takes practice.

What's "darr" mean?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
find a mig welder if you are going to do it yourself and take some scrap mild steel with you to fuk around with and learn.

ac/dc arc welding with sticks isn't hard, gotta get the right position rod, over here in the states you would want 6013 (good all purpose all around rod), narrow like 3/16", and again you would be welding mild steel.

if your making this out of aluminum, hire a welder with a tig, and PAY the man. if your like me, you'll take a month a sundays to get it done and it will still look like shit!

good luck!

texy

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:
right, ill be honest here, i dont know much about welding but fancy having a dig at it so i can have a pair of nice rearsets and a place to put me battery.
now ive done a little welding but that was when i was 16 and i cant seem to remember much. i have a friend whos darr has a welder but i know there are different types, its the one that shoots out the end and does all the hard work for you.
but i also think im right in saying you get different sizes or strenght welders, i think, like a 90, 100 120, or something.
really i wanna know what welder will do the job on my rearsets.

i think by this time you realise i dont know fuk all about welders haha any help would be great. cheers lads
I think you're describing a "MIG" or Wire Feed welder, which will be just fine for what you're planning. The trick is dialing in the correct wire speed and amperage for the metal you're welding, and as always, preparing the metal properly. Then it's just a matter of practice to make a nice smooth bead. Sounds easy anyway.

FR

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im thinking that as long as i get a good solid weld on it, even if it looks total dog shit surely i can just smooth it out with a grinder? or am i wrong

darr = dad, father, pop, etc.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If you get a decent welder there's no reason for your welds to look terrible even starting out, provided you can read and follow directions.

I don't know what's available in the UK as far as brands go. My buddy has a Lincoln SP-130. I don't think it's available anymore, the current comparable model is a SP-135t. That's about as small as I would consider a usable hobbyist welder. Anything smaller than that IMO is just to tack it together until you can get it to a real welder.

Just be aware all the companies over-rate their welders especially the small ones. If they say it'll do 5/16-3/8ths one pass, it'll struggle with 1/8th inch in the real world. And the model numbers may or may not have anything to do with output. My welder is a model MP175, it's 100% duty cycle at 175, max output is 220. Then like a Miller 180 is a 130 amp welder with like a 30% duty cycle at that. So you've really gotta read the specs.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
First, I've got zero cred on this board. Geeto was calling out some lurkers a few threads back so I figure I'd better step up sooner or later. I do know a little about welding so here's my $.02
(A) Doing it your self is amost always cooler than farming it out. So its worth a shot
(B) I'm with FR in that what you are likely discribing is a mig (GMAW) welder. Is there a bottle of sheilding gas (CO2 or Argon) on the back? if so you're good w/ solid wire, if not you need flux core wire
(C) Those numbers you quoted were likely amps. Most modern mig machines run lower volts 14-24V and amp figures like you quoted. For rear sets I think a decent starting point would be finding some scrap 3.2mm wall thickness tube load some .9 mm wire and set it for about 140 amps. Adjust the wire feed to get the bead right (start with 5.4 meters/min)
(D) most common mistake is humped up bead (I'll grind it later) and poor penatration, put the heat to it.
(E) be prepared to kill a couple hours some perfectly good tube before you get your rear sets....cheers

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
bcr is in the house! Welcome in bro. Instant cred if anybody asks me.

FR

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
bcr glad to see you made it. Now I have a way to convince you to build a racer and join the fun. I figure that we can get two for the price of one.If we can get you out there I wouldn't think that FR would be much easier to persuade.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Yeah, I think you'll have a couple more rookies out there next year. That's the plan anyway...

FR

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Thanks for the shout fellahs. I'm putting rookie stripes on everything I own, and for the record FR requires no arm twisting to make a race. Great season Wolf; congrats on the championship. If all goes well we'll get to play this summer.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I found this website.
http://www.norco-inc.com/industrial/welding_how_to.htm

I use to weld a little with my dad when I was younger. Many, many years ago. I want to start again, but really don't remember much. So, I found this website. I'm looking at getting a MIG welder. After I practice with some "art work", I want to box in my FCB frame. I have a spare frame I am going to likely set up eventually. Anyway. This website is pretty helpful for the basics.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Speaking of welding....my new Westing-Arc spool gun is the tits. Have it hooked up to my SyncroWave power supply. Will weld 1/2" aluminum plate at about 25" a minute.

I say "new" Westing-Arc...it's actually new condition Military surplus, given to me by a USCRA member that didn't need it.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
38 Posts
Everyone is on the right track here with the equipment and specs and stuff. If you want to learn start reading up on the theory and find some like minded people that fabricate their own stuff that can show you how it is done. I learnt fabrication and welding by hanging out with some old hot rodders and a guy who builds top end show cars. Preparation is 95% of the work for a good result, the welding only takes seconds and is the easy part of the job.

Less is More

1 - 17 of 17 Posts