Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fired up my cafe bike today for the first time, and took it out for a couple of shakedown runs. I was building some confidence and feeling pretty good after a few runs when it happened... With exactly 8 miles on the rebuild it died while at an idle. I hit the starter again thinking that it was a fluke of some sort, and to my sheer horror the motor spun freely. I knew the lack of compression was a fatal blow for the poor thing, so I pulled a plug and saw that the valves were not moving. fast forward a bit and I find that both of the bolts holding the gear onto the cam have broken off.

Has this happened to any of you guys? I couldn't find any torque specs for those bolts, but I'm fairly sure that they were either over/under tightened and would like to keep it from happening again. Another real bummer about this whole situation is that I just put all new valves into this little beast and fear they are bent now.

However, I must say that it was a blast to ride. I expected the motor to be a good performer, but I was honestly surprised at how fast it was.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Damn bummer - what kind of bike do you have ? I'm wondering, you did use lock tight on the cam bolts didn't you???

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No loctite, but you can be sure I won't make that mistake again. They were the stock Honda bolts. I picked up some class 12.9 bolts to replace them as the stock bolts are no longer produced(as far as I know), so wish me luck.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Make sure one of your replacement bolts is a shouldered bolt like the stock Honda bolt. If it's not it will snap again. These stock bolts are supposed to be hardened bolts from Honda.

Craig

·
Registered
166 Posts
In case you need the specs...13 - 15 ft. lbs. I know the feeling, but I've never heard of the cam bolts failing like that. Threaded bolt goes in first and then the shouldered bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts