Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Have you run out of yamahas over there? Hope you didn't buy it 'cause it was smoking like most of the stuff you own. Good luck with it. Cheers, bcr

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when i bought the CD175 i knew it didnt run, the owner told me he bought it as a none runner, so we worked out it hadnt run for 24 years, it didnt even spark, so after fitting a new battery, fettling the points and setting the ign timing i had a good spark, the carb was a mess inside including a punctured float which i repaired..
the fuel tank was quarter full of rotten smelling fuel and rust so i cleaned that out..

so, ready for trying to start the old girl, a few primes on the kickstart, ign on, she started up 2nd kick and i caught it on camera, i know these bikes rarely have knackered engines so i was pretty sure she would start but wasnt expecting 2nd kick!
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o191/rd400c/honda cd175 resto/?action=view&current=003.mp4

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol that wa my suprised look, i expected clouds of black smoke from the pipes but not a whisper of smoke, she does need setting up, il do that 2moro and hopefully repost with a sweet sounding engine.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well done, Tony.

I'm always amazed by purchases like this. How can a desireable bike be left in a shed, unused, for 24 years?

·
Registered
744 Posts
sometimes you luck out. the rapide was a first proper(oiled, fueled, primed, etc...)kick starter after circa 15 years. congrats. the 400 four took more like twenty but it'd been only recently unsiezed. i find two strokes even better for it though can be shortlived once the main seals cry "enough".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts