Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna start a letter writing campaign to sean and evelyn at wera over rules proposals for the cb350 stockers performanced indexed into 350 and 500gp.

here are the things i am proposing:

frame bracing and rewelding the stock cb, cl, or sl frames allowed. no modifications are permitted to change the rake or trail of the oem frames. no modifications are allowed to the oem swingarm of the cb, cl, or sl models. removal of all tabs and unecessary oem brackets are allowed.

removal of the kickstarter allowed.

removal of the eletric starter allowed.

removal of the choke on the oem cv carburetors are allowed.

swingarm needle bearings allowed.

tapered steering head bearings are allowed.

35mm telescoping forks with modern cartridges, fork emulators are allowed.

i will write this up in a letter and send it off to wera hq by saturday. if anyone can offer any suggestions to anything else i might have overlooked i'd appreciate the heads up.

i sense a real last minute push of one or two persons agenda. that pisses me off, especially since i lived under the leadership of george w bush for the past seven years.....he got in under the wire the same way.

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
don't forget to mention that fuel tanks, bodywork etc can be replaced with fiberglass and or aluminum. hate to see you all having to run those aweful stock tanks.

mt

latered

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:frame bracing

ooooOOOOOooooo gotta open that can o worm, huh?

How many people have actually braced their frames? Curious as to what people have done. Not that it should help much. I remember Katz used to have some neat looking perimeter frame mod on his.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one that i know of....two if you count cmarsh midnight hour effort utilizing his old lwsv chassis to run in 350gp with a stocker engine.

i was thinking of doing the same thing when i built my new sl chassis.

mainly it is the principle of how it is being handled and the timing that has me so upset.

so f'em, they want a fight. i'll bring them a fight. i'll have this done by the end of the day and posted back up for final review. i want to submit my proposal by saturday afternoon.

tex

p.s. - i love worms!

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
tex, um, so you know, um, my swingarm is modded too.

i shaved it.

but id sign that too.

add my name, whatever.

i just dont get why we have to reinvent the wheel.

doesnt everything seem fine the way it is????

my frame has braces going from the spine to the up tubes. then its welded. i guess you could consider my seat loop a brace, but i did that just to hold my fat ass off the tire. and cuz it was neater than drilling holes in the side of the seat. mikes is braced too. mine. and chris m's. im sure there are others.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
quote:

i just dont get why we have to reinvent the wheel.

doesnt everything seem fine the way it is????

jc
josie

yeah, everything is fine...but it got spun out of control a little bit. next time maybe let the complaints and rule splitting movement settle down a little bit before you jump in to defend yourself. now the thing has a momentem that possibly could have been prevented. but what do i know?

best-
tt

·
Registered
242 Posts
Frame seams welded, two braces from the center down "box" to outer tubes just a couple of inhes above the swing arm. Otherwise stock, well except for the Benelli forks and brake.

Mike O.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i see nothing wrong with any of that. leave those mods in.

hey, i had to defend myself and my thinking. not to mention i am seriously in the middle of another racer build and the issue was as much about welding the seams as the bracing. i jumped in because thta frame is sitting wait to go to the weld shop. with less than 2 months, id say its time for a few answers.

tim, youre gonna be at vir, right?

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
joe-

yeah, i'm still planning on VIR. the garage has a heat source this winter. i've just finished lacing ane trueing a new rear wheel, the front checked out OK too. i just kreemed the tank last night. whats left? new shoes up front, wire harness work, mount the tach to the new trees, mount the lap timer, new tires mounted/balanced, get the bent exhaust fixed, make the rear brake useable. and then the more typical race prep stuff...oh and saftey wire almost everything back together again.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
did you catch chris?? we had a conversation about you the other night.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
quote:
i see nothing wrong with any of that. leave those mods in.
Neither do I, but I think it's funny y'all looked at those rules and thought bracing was allowed. Freakin' lawyers you guys are, trying to parse every word to find a way around the obvious....

yes, I'm just stirring shit up.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hey, its pretty specific with the motor. says no material added or removed. but it doesnt tha about the frame. and i did have 2 guys who were on that rules very committee there almost everysingle night watching the build and giving advice.

hey, how about bolt on frame braces. i bolted the seat on. i bolted on the gas tank. they all seem ok to be considered a modification.

sorry, just going sfter the absurd. i thought tex comment was the best, im adding oem frame to oem frame. for christ sakes, isnt my bike light enough?? its like theyre trying to tell me how to lighten my frame!! guess its time to mention the rear hoop for my seat. as stimpy used to say "oh joy!"

and apparently my swing arm is now illegal, since ive shaved it. i just cut the street brakets off of it. chain guard mounts, fender mounts. is that legal??

jc

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i couldnt do it.

but here was my last reply.

page 19, section 12

ok, ive thought more about this. i havent braced or welded or anything like that to my swing arm. but i did remove all of the "street" associated brackets off of it. chain guard tab and that extra hole on the right side near the axle. i have a piece of teflon to mount onto it for a chain slider but havent done that yet. any opinions there??

also, i put a "loop" around the backside of the frame that matches my seat contour to hold my seat and fat ass off the rear tire. like a ducati. or similar to the sl frames. its got a little 1/4 tab that my seat bolts to. but my loop is a gigantic piece of 3/4" square tube. its shoved into the frame welded, and capped off neatly with 1/4" plate scribed in to enclose it. it actually looks perfect. how do you feel about adding things to support a seat, but could controversially be considered a frame brace?

can i bolt on frame braces?? guess we need to clarify what "adding" is. guess itll now have to read like "adding material of any kind by any means that could be construed as bracing but not limited to welding, bolting, brazing, taping , glueing, or any other means of attachment, materials not limited to wood, metal, plastic but any other material inlcusive"

sorry, the more i think about it, the more i find wrong.

fuck winter

jc

i dont know shit

Edited by - joe c on Jan 25 2008 5:25:18 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
jesus christ save a bullet for me if it does.

jc

i dont know shit

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
ung
you're a good shit stirrer...
and to paraphrase what kevin cameron spoke about at the banquet...."when (illegally) grinding tabs off of your racer, make sure to grinding marks are going the direction the asphalt will go when it hits." and "the scruteneers don't look too closely to the sruggling priveteers (ie slow guys) (possible) rules violations".
-parks

joe don't know shit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts