Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
See Hoof. I always knew I liked your way of thinking. And now I know why. Cause I too would have punted the smug bastard. Honestly. The pass Marquez pulled before Rossi slowed him down was flat out dangerous as fuck. He was trying to be top dog. He has a faster motor under him. This is such bullshit.

You see, I'm all for banging fairings, I'm all for great rivalries. But Marquez should be doing his real fucking job and trying to win the race. It was fucking obvious he rolled off (look at it again) to let Lorenzo go through. Like he couldn't touch him. It obvious he had power on the Yammy.

They could punch it out, or sin bin the life out of anyone. But I have a brilliant way they should sort this little SNAFU they got here.

Get Rossi. Get Marquez. Get two 2001 NSR500's. No electronics. 225hp. Tires of they day. Get their crew cheifs now. Their mechanics. Throw them at donnington. In the rain. See what happens.

Even better. Get the deloren. Get a fit Doohan, Gardner, Lawson, Mamola, Spenser, Rainey, motherfucking Schwantz. Fucking Uncini I don't care. Throw them in. See how he takes to a bunch of pissed of flattrackers showing a superprestigio on 500cc two strokes.

ALSO.

Did anyone hear Mamola ask Marquez a certain question at his press conference?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Had the incident not happened the way it did, they both could have crashed and possibly with a worse outcome. Marquez was determined to take Rossi out if not both of them. This way at least Rossi is still uninjured. I think for rider safety the, "this is how the rules play" are a recipe for someones death in the future. Yha the dicing might be a great spectacle for viewership but how will another death play out. Those of you that disagree try doing this stuff at the speeds these guys do.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I was just talking to an Irish friend who lives in Spain. He said that a Spanish champion is required. An Englishman leads Moto 3, A Frenchman in Moto 2. So MotoGP must have a Spanish champion. The fix is on.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Marc and Lorenzo tangle up and go out would make the perfect end to the season now. They will both want to win that last race. for results 29 26 46 on the podium and 99 93 dnf.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
That's disappointing nic579. I was just about to ask do we congratulate Lorenzo now or wait for a couple of weeks?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Sorry to disappoint in my alternate reality but Lorenzo lost when his temper tantrum failed in Sepang.

Don't fret the Battle will be fierce as Marquez will slow and let Lorenzo pass before his re-pass sliding the front on the inside with seemingly no room for a number of laps before the incident.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I want Rossi to roll a fat spliff and relax the fuck out of the next week. Get his mind back on HIS game and not on that of others. Then come out and set pole in Valencia - start at the back of the grid - ride the race of his life - and just before the finish, slow to let George take the win (because he fucking can) and then gracefully accept the Championship while officials take a closer look at Marquez' tactics from the last 3 races.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
In some ways I think the pressure will be off Rossi - he will be back in familiar territory of having to ride out of his skin to win and hopefully he can ride the race of his life (again). Not saying he can do it, but he's been there before and if anyone can bounce back from this sort of setback, he's one of best at that.

I think there will be more pressure on Lorenzo. He'll be watching his pit board like a hawk and if he sees Rossi coming through the field shit's going to get real interesting - especially if MM is wanting to dice with him at the same time....

·
Registered
53 Posts
The way I see it, Marquez almost has to rough up Lorenzo to save face and "prove" he isn't helping 99. This is almost like the 2006 last race where Pedrosa had to block for Hayden due to the shenanigans he pulled in the previous race. If I remember it right Rossi came into that race with the points lead but also way back in the grid due to injury. I almost would love to see the field let Rossi pass on the first lap and then see what happens. There is no doubt Rossi will move up but will he do it early enough to catch the Spanish freight train? Ianonne could play a role in slowing Lorenzo as well.

Cycleworld.com has a decent article on the race and the incident. I think it is clear that Marquez made contact with Rossi's thigh first.

Scott

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hopefully they'll see that and make a rational decision in the appeals process. Did Rossi push out, absolutely. But only after Marquez touched him.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The way I see it, Marquez almost has to rough up Lorenzo to save face and "prove" he isn't helping 99. This is almost like the 2006 last race where Pedrosa had to block for Hayden due to the shenanigans he pulled in the previous race. If I remember it right Rossi came into that race with the points lead but also way back in the grid due to injury. ....
Marquez has to do nothing of the sort. IMO, Rossi brought it on himself with his accusations and comments to the press. Got a problem with a fellow rider? take it to him, personally. Go to the press and antagonize him in the press conference, and then to all the reporters individually? Marquez is gonna do exactly what he did. "You think I was interfering in Australia? I'll show you what interference looks like!" 14 overtakes (and 3 incomplete overtakes) in the 3 laps between the two of them, but all of those would be perfectly acceptable passes under other circumstances. I saw one pass before the incident where Marquez might of made contact, and one where Rossi made contact. So 17 overtakes, all close, all aggressive, but all perfectly legal....then the incident. Forget about whether the crash was caused by by a "kick" or not. Rossi intentionally ran wide at the apex and wider at the exit and slowed well beyond normal to push MM out to the curb. Rossi was penalized for intentionally trying to run MM offtrack whether he intended for MM to crash is incidental. He is lucky he just has to start at the back. He should have been DQ'd. Anyone else would have been. Jorge was excluded from the following race when he took out De Angelis in Motegi in 2005. Pogialli was excluded from a race for dangerous riding in 250, as well. Tamada and Hopkins were excluded for dangerous riding and causing accidents. Bautista was made to start at the back of the grid in the race following his turn one torpedo incident at Assen (2011 or 12?). None of those guys "intended to make anyone crash".

Even Lin Jarvis knew Rossi screwed the pooch. There was a video of him in the garage and his face speaks volumes!

See it in the liked video at 1:05. This is good analysis by James Toseland, as well
15 overtakes and a controversial crash in epic Rossi v Marquez battle

Attachments

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm curious to know how DORNA will crown Lorenzo, if say he fell off? I was talking with an Irish friend who lives in Spain. He was saying Spain wants and will have a world champion. They can't have one in Moto 2 and 3 so Lorenzo is going to be their champion. Regardless.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Rossi was penalized for intentionally trying to run MM offtrack whether he intended for MM to crash is incidental. He is lucky he just has to start at the back. He should have been DQ'd.
I call bullshit! No way was anyone trying to run a rider "off the track."

Since when is running a rider wide cause for points. It happens at least once in every good race and is a proper tactic - used very well by Marquez almost weekly in Moto3.

Rossi took him way deeper and far wider than ever, but to say he was forcing him off the track is asinine. There was at east 6 feet of track left to Marquez' left and both riders were turned right, past the apex, when the collision occurred. Rossi was even looking out for him just to drive home the point, 'See? I know what you are doing, you little shit. Cut it out and get on with the race!'

·
Registered
6,587 Posts

Since when is running a rider wide cause for points. It happens at least once in every good race and is a proper tactic - used very well by Marquez almost weekly in Moto3.

Rossi took him way deeper and far wider than ever, but to say he was forcing him off the track is asinine. There was at east 6 feet of track left to Marquez' left and both riders were turned right, past the apex, when the collision occurred. Rossi was even looking out for him just to drive home the point, 'See? I know what you are doing, you little shit. Cut it out and get on with the race!'
If Rossi didn't look at MM whilst he was leading him wide - and if he said he ran wide accidentally then that might be OK - but he said he DELIBERATELY ran him wide and that's the basis of the sanction.

On the other side of the coin why didn't Marquez just duck under Rossi and pass him on the inside if he was actually "racing" him??

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I'm wondering if Marquez will insist on starting on the back row so he can help his buttbuddy ?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

You sure about that?

If Rossi didn't look at MM whilst he was leading him wide - and if he said he ran wide accidentally then that might be OK - but he said he DELIBERATELY ran him wide and that's the basis of the sanction.

On the other side of the coin why didn't Marquez just duck under Rossi and pass him on the inside if he was actually "racing" him??

MM couldn't dive under him because Rossi was braking hard and coming to almost a complete stop. He was "Looking out for him" to match his braking rate to trap him and take him out to the edge. Watch a video to see when his forks extend.....they are fully compressed until the point of impact

I'm wondering if Marquez will insist on starting on the back row so he can help his buttbuddy ?
Nah. but don't be surprised to see mirrors installed on MM's bike.....to see when Rossi is coming! LOL

Honestly I think MM went overboard, he was being a lot more aggressive and they both were making passes that wouldn't normally happen until late in the race, but none of them would have been considered dirty had it not ended the way it did. But I go back to the point, if Rossi hadn't started the whole thing in the press and in the press conference (he did both, talking to individual reporters and antagonizing MM in the press conference)... if he had gone to him one on one...respectfully...I doubt ANY of this would have happened. Remember, until Rossi made his accusations, the only thing ANYBODY said about Phillip Island. was "Race of the decade!!!" Now that Rossi made his statements, all the Rossisti are nodding their heads and saying "Oh yeah, dirty race!" Drives me nuts!! And then to blame Lorenzo for MM's antics? Jeez. (I haven't seen that here, but you know the comments and memes,and vitriol that is being spewed). Although, JL didn't help himself any by his behavior in the post race conference, and on the podium. He should have kept his mouth shut, because he had only seen the one incident without any context....not that it may have had any influence on him. Hell, I still believe VR should have been DQ'd and forget about the back of the grid penalty. Dani was the only one acting like a grown assed man, this weekend!

I still find it funny that I heard all sorts of comments about JL leaving the podium before the photos, but nothing toward Rossi for not showing up to the press conference. Well except for Dani, when asked if he thought Rossi should be at the conference, he asked, "For sure you have questions you'd like to ask him, no?" I busted out laughing at that.

No matter what, the whole thing has soured the championship. Even JL admitted that no matter what, it won't be a fair championship. As a fan of the series for over 30 years, I am saddened by the whole thing.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Did MM get points when he ran Rossi off the track, when he cut across the gravel to win the race?

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Did MM get points when he ran Rossi off the track, when he cut across the gravel to win the race?
The difference with that one was it was a "racing incident". Rossi DELIBERATELY running MM wide off the racing line wasn't considered a racing incident.

Remember Rossi admitted to doing it deliberately and hence the penalty.

41 - 60 of 122 Posts