Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what sort of gauges do you race types run on your machine? right now my christmas list includes an Oil Temp gauge and a wideband A/F ratio gauge, but I noticed a lot of handy other guages and sensors like a cylinder head temp, and an Exhaust gas temp gauge. hell even oil pressure. does an 81 xs400 even have a significant amount of oil pressure to mess with testing?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I run a tach when it works. Other than that I just run it until it blows up.

Ken

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
if you keep oil in the thing, i dont think its gonna blow up. that said, if youre riding it hard enough to blow up, maybe you should have a tach...i dont know about the rest of that stuff. i have a speedometer that *almost* works.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Sure you do. I have run racebikes for several years before they blow up and after I blow up a few of the same engine I even figure out what the cause is and they run even longer.

Ken

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
on a 4 stroke racebike, all you need, and should have, is a tach. those oil pressure guages are nice, until you crash it, and it leaks, then you go back out, and blow up, or it just leaks, or......

it sorta can depend on your ignition. whether you want an inductive type tach, thats got an internal battery. or a electronic that runs on your bat. we used vfr tachs on the cb350's for a while. electronic, and cheap and easy to get. but yes, only a good tach. you wont have time or bother looking at anything else. now, if you were running a 2stroke.......

spend some cash on a good tire pressure gauge. theres alot of stuff you can buy instead of gauges youll need for the track.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

I run a tach when it works. Other than that I just run it until it blows up.

Ken
This.

I have tachs on most of my bikes, but I found that I was usually above redline when I was looking at them, so stopped looking at them altogether. If I can't see it and it's not blowing up, I'm doing ok.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
wideband or egt gauge is useless perm installed on a bike. Get it set right once with a wideband that you borrow and save the money. now, oil temp may be cool if its real damn small and only you know where to look for it.
I do feel a tach is almost paramount though.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
quote:Originally posted by coreyjdl

i have a tire pressure gauge and a tach already. sorry i didn't mention that, but i was thinking more on what gauges you run Beyond essentials.

you sort of answered your own question there.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Gauges = Weight = Slow
I do the 2 Stroke thingy so I know to shift when there is no more power to be had in whatever gear I'm in. Also when the motor makes these nasty grinding noises . . shift

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
quote:Originally posted by spacmanspif300

hey geet, how d'you know?
On my first triple I wrung its neck, a 1975 h1. The bike will continue pulling until well past redline...and then it heat seizes. A couple of head gaskets later and I was back on the road. I also didn't know about oil injection and tried to run the bike premix. This is the 9th year that bike has sat in the corner of my shop with an exploded engine on the workbench.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Are you building a car or a bike? Even my turbo'd cars I've had I've never had that many gauges. Just go with a nice tach like a Shindy or Scitsu. Then if you want a speedometer, I'd do like a wireless bike speedometer. Most widebands are pretty big with the controller and gauge. If you put all those gauges that you listed, you'd look like a mod's moped, but with gauges inplace of mirrors and lights. lol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts