Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to build a custom cafe racer, but I'm quite tall (191cm/6'3"), and can't figure out which frame to base it on. I want a frame like the BMW R-series (4 sided tube frame, with a bolt on subframe), 4 cylinder, and most important, I want to be able to fit on the bike. What do you guys ride, and do you have any suggestions on what frame to buy?

- Craith

(Looking for a frame kind of like this one)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm 6'4. Ridden just about anything and everything I've been given an opportunity to.

If you're building it yourself, you have the ability to built it to fit you, as far as foot placement and handlebars go. Doesn't have to be a big bike to be made to fit you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started riding at the age of 15.5 years young at 6' tall on Vespa's and Lambretta's. Then onto my first beauty, a '78 Ducati 900 GTS really long and comfortable at then about 6'2" Don't get me wrong when I was 6'3" tall I was a very thin(twig) of a frame and rode Aprilia RS 250's!!! You should ride what you want "was" my mantra... As the years went by and the '50s entered into my creaking frame small is no longer a desire... However, I will always love the Aprilia bikes and my 2003 Aprilia "Haga" Replica Mille fits me like a glove even now at 6'5" and a bit...(not including my weight...) I can't wait to see what you build! All the best, God Bless†

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am 6'3" also, and I have a leg that doesn't bend much more than 90 deg. All of my bikes have have some sort of modification to make them fit me (bars raised, pegs lowered, seat raised and reshaped). Go sit on some bikes and you will quickly find out if they are even close to the fit that you are looking for.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I really want to build a custom cafe racer, but I'm quite tall (191cm/6'3"), and can't figure out which frame to base it on. I want a frame like the BMW R-series (4 sided tube frame, with a bolt on subframe), 4 cylinder, and most important, I want to be able to fit on the bike. What do you guys ride, and do you have any suggestions on what frame to buy?

- Craith

View attachment 103082
(Looking for a frame kind of like this one)
What you posted here is a single backbone hoop frame with double-down tubes :unsure:

read this: A Very Old Question About Motorcycle Frame Design
and: When The Featherbed Frame Revolutionized Motorcycle Construction.
... and realize that you are building on a 75 year old technology design. + People were shorter in the olden days, they didn't have hormone injected beef and genetically modified chicken.

One more complication; the vehicles VIN is stamped on the frame, the VIN is the only thing our department of transport cares about in this country when you go to insure or register it, ymmv. Additionally it is a LOT easier to plate a stock bike and then modify it afterwards, you will have far less difficulty with obtaining the vehicle fitness certs that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts