Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to jbranson's and hackasaw's advice concerning the magneto on my gilera 106, it is now producing spark, but....... I now have carb problems. I can only get it to fire by spraying starter fluid down the throat of the carb while kicking it over. I am getting fuel to the carbs. When I pull the carb off after trying to start it, fuel is at the appropriate level in the bowl and when I depress the tickler there is a little gas overflowing into the throat of the carb. I have cleaned the jets and all passages in the carb are clear. The air and throttle screws are backed out the appropriate turns according to the manual and the clip is on the recommended notch on the needle. I have fooled with all the above (not exactly knowing what I'm doing) to no avail. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Maybe the float needle is sticking/stuck closed...
Throttle cable adjustment..

FR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After attempting to start it, the bowl is filled with fuel so the float needle seems to be closing and opening properly. It wouldn't be the throttle cable adjustment since the throttle cable is only about two inches long and I'm operating it with a pair of vise grips. Is it possible that the air and throttle screws can be so far off the correct settings (even though I have them set at the recommended settings) that it wouldn't run at all? Or possible something wrong with the atomizer?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I don't know. If the bike runs on ether but not on gas from the carb, you still have problems with the carb. How did you clean the carb? Is it possible that there's still some gunk in one of the fuel passages? Are the jets new, and are you sure they're correct? Keep fiddling with it, you'll get it eventually...

FR

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
On my 106 I bolted on an old Keihin carb off I think a 70cc Honda...probably a 16mm carb. I changed nothing on the carb, not jets, not needle, nothing. Bike would start first kick and my wife ran a couple of Giros on it no problem, finished both of them.

I got tired of screwing with the crappy stock carb. I think it might have bolted right on too...used the stock throttle cable too I think. Don't remember the details, just remember it was very easy.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FR, everything inside the carb has been cleaned like new and all the passages are clear. It is possible that the jets are the incorrect size. I was assuming they were the correct size since the previous owner gave me the overused line "it ran when I parked it". JohnnyB, thanks for the suggestion. I started looking for a second dellorto carb, but was having no luck. I'll pick up a Keihin and see if that does the trick. Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
The carb I used was off a Honda SL70 or similar...16 or 18mm carb. I figured is a 16mm was good for an overhead cam 72cc motor that will turn 10,000, that it would be fine for a push rod 106 that turns about 8,000. Evidently my guess was right...cause it was a new bike after that, ran flawlessly.
Usually not too hard to find on ebay. I bet an 18mm Keihin off a CB175 twin would work fine too.
I ordered a K&N filter to fit and was set to go. Really made the bike a joy to ride, so consider a Keihin if you get stuck. You could probably use a late model Keihin PE20 on that 106 no problem. Brand new about $100 from Sudco.
JohnnyB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts