Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what you guys have wrapped up as far as money goes in your project bikes. I just turned over $1000 including the purchase price of the bike with my 360, even doing all the work myself. I still have a bit to go, but i have gotten alot of the necessary items new as well, so that constitutes a good bit of my spendings. I guess im just wondering where my limit should be.

And too, I realize theres a big difference in spending $1500 on a CB360 and spending the same on a Triumph, and the same goes with building it to original vs. cafe racer etc [:p

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Including purchase price, I have $340 into my cb360.
I have no idea what I have into my cb350, or any of the other bikes, for that matter. I bought the 350 one piece at a time, and stopped keeping track almost as soon as I started.

My dad used to describe his boat as a hole in the water, where he threw all his money. I think motorcycles are the same thing.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I always found that if you think of the money you have to spend you won't do it. I'm about $1700 into my sidecar and it still hasn't turned a wheel in anger. I would hat to think how much in time I have in it. But that is irrelevant. I know that as soon as it fires up all will be well with the world. Freindships and memories is what it boils down to. Just do it.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I have 800 into my FZ600 racer project, except Judeyramone has my bike and spare motor plus his KZ440 and I haven't paid Ratty550 for the other FZ. So I guess I have 500 into a bike I don't have and 300 I haven't paid yet for a bike I have. I hope to hav a complete race bike and street bike out of all of this for about 1500.

Ken

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Hoofhearted

I always found that if you think of the money you have to spend you won't do it. I'm about $1700 into my sidecar and it still hasn't turned a wheel in anger. I would hat to think how much in time I have in it. But that is irrelevant. I know that as soon as it fires up all will be well with the world. Freindships and memories is what it boils down to. Just do it.
True. I rebuilt my engine for my racebike a few (many) years back. The first race on the rebuild was a 1/2 mile. The motor was so strong and that race was so fast, I just remember thinking that if that's all I got out of that rebuild it would've been enough.
It turned out that that rebuild got me through 2 and a half more seasons, so I definitely got the value out of it.
But I try not to think about the money after it's spent.

FR

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
What do you have wrapped up in your project? hummm, my marriage if I keep going. Champ, can I live in your shed if she kicks me out? tt- no telling folks how cool she really is.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
xr100
900 for the bike (?)
300 for the big bore kit
650 rims and slicks.
100 chain sprockets etc
50 rev box
300 pipe
100 clutch pack
25 for the shifter
120 heavy spokes for the rear
150 suspension springs
65 knobbies (dirt)
65 trailwings (short track)
75 replace missing body work

i think that pushes it over 3k. but i dont want to think about it.

i want to port/flow the head, or run a takagawa head and run a bigger carb next. it also still needs a cradle.

cb350 racer i never kept track of for the last build. but id say its probably in the 5k-7500 mark.

scitzu
works shocks
powder coating
pvl
d'angelo paint
tanner bodywork
barnett clutch
machining work
pipes
tires
rims/spokes
bearing
cb750 front forks
gt750 brake
motor w/ fat cam
welding
fab work
goes on and on. fortunately, i had alot of people donate alot of time to me. i would have nevr gotten it done without alot of help. but it was all worth it to hear it fire up the first time. sparkly and new. not to mention rolling it off the truck at the track the first time is too cool.

jc

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Probably the shy side of $2000 (not including gear) will have been tied up in my 160 racer by the time I fire it up. Still fairly cheap for a wheels-up racer build I guess.

Add gear, race school and track/travel expenses and I'm looking at another $2K easy.

My friends say its only really expensive in the beginning...

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I have no idea.... several cool ass parts plus 10,000 hours of fabrication, assembly and testing. and thats just on my 350.

joe, can't give away all the mojo.... the neat little details have all the mojo.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i should've gotten a cheaper bike! i have $5500 in my triumph. not a cafe...this one's a chop. by the time all is said and done i expect to have $7000 into it. next bike will be a cafe based around a T120RV motor. that one will easily hit the $7000 mark...all i have is a partial motor and rear frame half[:0] i love my new hobby, so i really don't worry about what i'm spending one it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
When I used to race circle track cars I had to run it like a business for tax purposes. It takes a lot of the fun out of it to know exactly how much you're spending. Now on the bikes I don't keep a receipt unless I may want to return the part. Ignorance is bliss.

I don't think you can do a bike for much under two grand if you really go through it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Playing with bikes keeps me sane. My various (too many) projects are small beans compared to the used piece of jet trash I'd be without'm. I haven't tallied the receipts for the Yamaha because I don't really care. That bike started out as a $150 roller 8 or 9 years ago and has long since paid for itself. I'm tracking the Triumph $ 'cause I'm trying to do as much work as I can for as cheap as I can.......then ride the crap out of it. I'm into that project for $836. That includes wd40 and 4x steel wool. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
monkeys right. its not just the parts. its also the mojo. not to mention, i do have a small pile of destroyed parts that never made it onto the bike. the hours and hours spent making spacers, and standing at the lathe, and figuring out dims for things. how much tolerance this should have, and where this should go, and why this isnt right, and what needs to be done to fix it. when youre mix and matching parts, its as much about having someone whos done alot of this kind of work to help, as it is figuring out the new things no one has ever seen before. thats what makes it fun. thats what makes it invaluable. kowing other people put that kind of work and effort into their stuff, just as much as you do yours, but they have something that looks completely different. i can look at really trick cb350 race bikes at the track and admire the energy put into them for whats sitting in front of me.

jc

jc

·
Registered
44 Posts
So far just the cost of the bike, plus gas to pick it up. 73' CB 450t South Bend to Detroit. About $300. I'm shooting for under $1,500. I'd like to do as much as possible myself. Going to try my hand at fiberglass, and paint. I don't plan for it to be a show bike or anything like that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
$850 in bike
$500 in parts/paint
$340 in seat/tail (yeah, I know. But the money was taxes I got back. Me and wife each wanted to buy something we normally wouldn't. )
Overall I wanted under $1500. I'm at almost $1700. But all work by me saved hundreds.
I've seen some pretty impressive bikes for under 2k. You can almost build a cafe on any budget, even if its $10 a week.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
by 500 was free and a solid runner with 4500 miles no less!
clip-ons, napoleon mirrors, Triumph Daytona levers and master cylinder, progressing fork springs, 2nd disc up front and ebc pads for both calipers, braided lines, ebay cafe seat, xs750 tank and a set of avons on the way have me at around $700 thus far.

New rear shocks, allow rims, stainless exhaust, a pair of Mikuni VMs, paint, powdercoat etc.....figure another $500.

If i go as far as $2000 on this it'll still be a total of $2000 for the whole thing!

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
You kinda end up with 3 bikes worth of parts... but only one set of the parts are worthy to build a bike

matt

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool, thats what i wanted to hear, not that was stressed about spending anyway, ive just been keeping a log and man did all those parts here and there add up fast. although im going to keep it reasonable in the back of my mind, im just going to get what i need(which means want most of the time) and to hell with it. haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts