Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just full of questions on bikes. Guy with CB550 never got back to me with a price.

A fellow I know has a Guzzi V50, year to be determinded he wants to sell. I have not seen the bike or pics of it but he wil bring his camera with the pics in it to the races next week

Described as- turns over, needs tires, seat cover, plus onther stuff, bike is complete, should not take much work to get going but will take a lot to look pretty. Stored for years but had oil in the cylinders. No key, No title (not an issue for me, easy for my kid to plate in Maine).

I have always wanted an Eldo or Ambo, but they are out of range price wise now. First bike I did 100 mph on was my uncle's Guzzi.

So, school me here please! Yes, I realize a cheap project ALWAYS ends up more expensive than buying a good one in the first place.

Thanks,
jack

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I've had a couple of V50II, liked them.
Didn't have too many issues, ran OK
Had bevel box seal leak and minor electrical on one but Bosche electrics were fine.
Linked brakes worked pretty good
Also had later 750 developed from the 500 motor for 6~8 months, no problems but that was new (1995)

·
Registered
23,286 Posts
If it is a v50 Monza don't hesitate - throw a stack of cash at the seller and don't look back.

The small block guzzi platform is still in production, the new v7 is based off it. Plenty of hop up bits like kits to bore it out to 800ccs.

i am not fond of the v50 II but that's just a styling issue.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought it this weekend. V50II. All they except a plastic louvre on the side cover. Motor turns over when pushed in gear. No key. Brakes don't work- probably seized cables, calipers and master cylinders. Need to lube all cables, change all fluids, etc.

A sat down to look at it after the purchase and wondered "what the hell was I thinking!!??". Only into it for real short money so can't loose, at least at this point.

Any links to groups or web sites? First thing I need is a manual.

Thanks,
Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts