Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob to cafe's here. I see a lot about unridable hipster bikes. What is it that you are referring to? I've ridden some peoples bikes in motocross that I would consider unridable due to suspension reasons or the motor was so worn it had no power. Is this somewhat of what you are referring too?

If there is one thing I can't stand is hipsters and their stupid fucking style and their stupid fucking vape sticks. Go blow your fucking "water vapor" in someone else's face you douche bag.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
There is this trend right now to slam small displacement Hondas to the ground and run these shitty Firestone replica tires designed for 1940's Harleys. Most of the bikes have about an inch of suspension travel or less and use the tire as a bumpstop so they are literally unsafe to ride let alone ride fast. It's really easy in modding a bike to forget there is actual geometry and math involved and those that don't do their homework are rewarded with a motorcycle that is a bad time to ride.

a520af9210ded2af03b9db7c5a84b6db.jpg

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Mostly refers to stuff like poor ergonomics and frame/suspension modifications done for the sake of looking cool, but actually ruin the handling aspects of the bike or make the rider scrunch up in a position that is sure to be uncomfortable for more than a 10 minute video about "café style" and the "ton up boys" and blowing dudes with waxed beards.

When people try to make a 70's or 80's Jap bike look like a 50's or 60's European bike, they ruin the things that made Jap bikes pretty good, and sometimes even superior to their competitors. Stuff like super low bars, lowered suspension and big ass ballooney tires fall into chasing a certain look, just doesn't work for a bike if it's meant to be ridden.
I used to think I wanted that look for a couple of my bikes, but thanks to the guys here, I get to ride and ENJOY my bikes, although I don't race yet. I have made a few small changes on my bikes, but these were things that truly improved their rideability, and did very little in the way of changing looks. I ended up even keeping the stock handlebars and footpegs on my honda, because it's more comfortable that way than it would be with Clubman bars and stock pegs, maybe even more so than it would be with proper rearsets. The point is, I am making the bike handle, stop, and go better before I change anything about the appearance, and I had no idea what was important and really improved a bike until I read stuff around here. I'm getting closer and closer to actually building a vintage race bike now, and the thought had never crossed my mind when I first registered here.

Unrideable refers to the crap you see on dotheton and pukeburn that has no suspension travel, tires eat the back of the seat on bumps, they handle for shit, and usually have stock or worse than stock brakes, with a little bitty wheel in the back with a fat tire and something to match that ditch finder on the front with a 19" wheel, as long as it has spokes because mags are ghey. These are choppers with shorter forks.
And remember- no matter what anybody tells you, café racers aren't cheap. If you do it right, it adds up quickly.
Rat rods and café racers are not the the same thing, just the same time period. Cheap on a bike can get you killed.

That's my explanation of "Unrideable " based on what I've learned in the last few years. I hope it helps you put together a safer, more pleasant motorcycle, or convinces you to fuck off if it wasn't what you wanted to hear, lol.
Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Noob to cafe's here. I see a lot about unridable hipster bikes. What is it that you are referring to? I've ridden some peoples bikes in motocross that I would consider unridable due to suspension reasons or the motor was so worn it had no power. Is this somewhat of what you are referring too?

If there is one thing I can't stand is hipsters and their stupid fucking style and their stupid fucking vape sticks. Go blow your fucking "water vapor" in someone else's face you douche bag.
Been using an e-cig for a year now, didn't realise that I needed to buy a hat, get a funny haircut, and grow a beard, as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been using an e-cig for a year now, didn't realise that I needed to buy a hat, get a funny haircut, and grow a beard, as well.
I want to apologize for how what I said came off. I have nothing against the e-cigs it's just that just about every hipster that came into the bar that I worked at would always be puffing on it and blowing the smoke back behind the bar. It got real annoying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok this is what I thought was being referred too. Fortunately this isn't what I'm looking to do. Also, I'm thankful that I grew up in a family where everyone raced and my cousin raced street bikes and harley's professionally back in the 80's, so I do have some knowledge when it comes to street performance on bikes. I'll admit it's not a lot but better than none. Most of my knowledge is in off-road racing of all types.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I want to apologize for how what I said came off. I have nothing against the e-cigs it's just that just about every hipster that came into the bar that I worked at would always be puffing on it and blowing the smoke back behind the bar. It got real annoying.
No need for an apology, I should have added one of these :)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Just read the e cig companies are now adding sugar to the compound to help the kids get addicted via the sugar craving.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Just read the e cig companies are now adding sugar to the compound to help the kids get addicted via the sugar craving.
I would have thought that there's more than enough Nicotine in e-liquid. to addict anyone. No need for sugar:)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts