Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this article over at motorcycle news:

What happens when you crash a Ducati Multistrada

This is the result of a crash on our long-term test Ducati Multistrada 1200 by MCN’s John Westlake.

The bike, being run on the fleet by MCN editor Marc Potter, is likely to be written-off following the incident. The insurance company’s report hasn’t been received yet.
We’re gutted the bike isn’t part of the fleet at the moment but fingers crossed we can arrange to get hold of another one.

The crash happened in front of brave photographer Paul Bryant who kept shooting throughout and we thought it would be a shame if we didn’t show you Paul’s efforts as a Multistrada crashed in front of his face.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Are Ducatis that delicate that a lowside writes them off? If so, thanks for the warning.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Just about any modern sport bike three years older or more, without frame sliders will be a total in a low side at decent speeds. OEM prices for parts are stupid high. Tank usually about $1000+, front fairing section (unpainted) $500, pegs, engine covers, tail section etc. I've seen the way they estimate these things...a couple of deep scratches on the frame or swingarm and they specify replacement, just as you would expect a car to be returned to you in perfect condition after collision repair. Problem is the book value of a 3 year old sport bike is usually about half it's original cost. And since there are very few motorcycle collision repair shops the estimates will come from a dealership charging $90/hr shop fee. It adds up to $5-6000 pretty quick ...and that's enough to total most bikes.

Most bikers will live with a bit of residual damage and not worry about it, but insurance companies handle it the same way as cars, where owners expect the car returned without a scratch on it.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
That must be why they call Brit bikes "roast beef". Spaghetti is a bit limp.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
I say he was on the wrong side of the road on purpose to make a close pass at the photog and now he's off the on the side of the road in the sand and marbles ...down he goes. Photog error for talking the dummy into doing it.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My 2000 GSXR600 was totaled for a low side, It was just 1.5 years old.
I was amazed as it had next to no damage other than bodywork, bar end, durlin slider and left side foot controls, insurance rep said it was the cost of the body work. I had a road rage driver cut me off "trying to hit me" in rush hour traffic on 101 heading north out of Marin CA.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I'm saying he dint hang off enough trying to look stylish for the photog. Ran out of cornering clearance, dug whatever hits first in and unloaded the rear. Then he tipped over(makes me laugh when Scott Russell says that on tv).

His gloves didn't match the bike or the rest of his gear. WTF did he expect taking pics that way?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jbranson

I say he was on the wrong side of the road on purpose to make a close pass at the photog and now he's off the on the side of the road in the sand and marbles ...down he goes. Photog error for talking the dummy into doing it.
JohnnyB
He's on correct side for Britain.
Looks like he just fell down, probably pissed as a newt after pub lunch?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
in the first pic the bike is already on the hard parts, front wheel should not be turned like that it should be straight-ish.

Ducati's are especially fragile even if you drop it on its side off the stand. I think it is the left side, but one of them the crank snout is really close to the engine cover and if it touches the ground, the cranks shift and the bottom end is junk. I remember there being a lot of 996s getting new engines at my local ducat dealer when they were new because their owners dropped the bike off the stand by accident. It even happened to one of the guys at motorcyclist 10 years back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts