Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you lived in say an apartment complex, what would you use to secure your bike on those days yer at work, or at night where its sitting in a lot?

jc

·
Registered
69 Posts
A 1911! hell yah, that's the same thing I use to defend everything. The ultimate hand gun/hammer <_< >_> I'd pull the bike indoors personally. Buddy O mine, everyday, him and his room mate drag his ducati up 3 floors of stairs and drag it in.

I keep my bike in my dinning room, my woman loves it *sarcasm*

·
Registered
699 Posts
+1 for the 1911 and +1 for storing the bike "in-house" i do both personally. but anyway, what about leaving it on the street while you go eat or something like that? disc lock? steering lock? steel braided cable? most resturaunts don't want me bringing my bike inside, and im too busy eating to do my target practice! LOL!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have something called a "New York Chain". Actually Kryptonite calls it "New York Fahgettaboudit" now but it used to be just the NY chain XL. It is basically a sheathed heavy chain. I stopped using it because: 1) it is very heavy, and 2) it was short (3') which made chaining to other objects tougher. Nobody is getting through that damn chain but here in NYC I once saw a GSXR wheel chained to a post with the NY chain, but the rest of the bike was gone. They now make a 5' chain which I would consider using were it not for the weight:

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1002&pid=1169

Now I use a Sheathed Looped cable from kryptonite with a HD master lock and I chain to stationary objects (the cops love it when I lock my bike to the NYC bicycle racks or the Muni-meter terminals). Much Much lighter, plus it gives me a "don't fuck with me look" when I wear it ghostrider style looped around my body while riding.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1001&pid=1123

I do not advocate disc locks since I have seen way too many ruined wheels with them. Too many people forget about them and try to go 2 feet before the lock rips their caliper off, bends the rotor, and ruins the fork leg. Plus old bikes don't have holes drilled in their discs which is what most locks use to attach. With the sheathed cable even if I try to ride away it doesn't do any damage when I suddenly stop short since it is usually wrapped around the frame, the grab bar, the wheel and a light post.

Additionally I usually keep a tire iron (crowbar) hidden on the bike somewhere, just in case....

·
Registered
69 Posts
"im too busy eating to do my target practice!" <----- lol. I've always had the same problem, like if I goto walmart! Half the staff there thinks I'm stealing cause i'm running all around the place trying to get out as soon as I can to pop some "target" trying to steal my bike.

So in leui of that (sp?) I'm investing in something like the gorilla cycle alarm. Key fob that tells you if something is ary with your bike and it has a few miles of radius. The one I want I can't remember the name of...

·
Registered
699 Posts
i guess i will get the cable then Geet...On the disc lock i wasnt sure if it went in the vent holes or not, i was thinking that maybe it was just a vise like thing, but you are right, i don't have drilled discs, so that is out for me. I live in a fairly low crime area, and i left the harley out constantly last summer and it didnt even use an ignition key, and nobody messed with it...however, people have stereo types about harley guys so they get left along alot, especially a '71 glide with no glossy paint and a metal pan for a seat! on the cable, what about getting one long enough to loop through the front and rear wheels? I also LOVE the thought of seeing somebody riding with the thing on their shoulder...that is awesome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I park my boulevard at my apartment, and I cant say enough for disklocks, MASSIVE chains (all chains can be cut, its mostly for looks) and a bike cover. outta sight - outta mind. If they just see a bland grey cover, not shiny crome and shiny paint, your chances are better of waking up to a full parking space ;)

Oh - and - be smart - DONT chain to a wheel :) Frames are much harder to remove to steal a bike.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
NY is unique in the way they steal bikes that makes disc locks pretty useless - most of the time it is a non-descript van that will roll up, 4 guys will jump out and lift and throw the bike in the van, and then...gone. If you have a modern sportbike, it should be chained to something in the City.

In the case of a massive crusier I imagine it is not the preferrable way of doing things but I have heard of theived carrying wheel dollies where they just chuck the front wheel on the dolly and roll the bike up a ramp.

theft deterrent is just that, deterrent....nothing is theft proof. The idea is to slow the theif down just enough to make taking your bike unattractive. Yes all chains can be cut (and disc locks too) but if it takes an hour to cut a 2" think chain link then that is an hour the theif is exposed. BTW if they know they are parting the bike out they will cut discs to get disc locks off.

And don't think what you chain it to is not important either. Some people chain it to objects where if you lift the bike high enough you can get the chain over it (remember in NYC it will be most likely 4 guys who steal bikes for a living lifting your bike). I have seen theives cut down parking meters and street signs because it was faster to go through the sign than the chain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts