Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually wear a pair of worn out Doc Martens but I'm thinking about getting a pair of motorcycle-specific boots. What do you use for footwear out on your bike? Pics are helpful. I'll get some up soon.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
there have been discussions about footwear in the past, a search should turn up some of them.

There are motorcycle specific armored boots from makers like sidi and alpinestars which are good and sometimes expensive.

Personally I fell like a dork walking around in something like sidi boots all day (I use my bike to commute often). My boot of choice has always been frye harness boots. I still have the pair I bought in high school and still wear them (and have worn them all over the world). They give decent heel support and they are thick leather so they are decently abrasion resistant. The best part is they are good looking and sometimes even come up as a topic of conversation (and I have gotten 2 dates with girls who were out of my league because of the boots). I do not work for the company but I love them that much. If you want to kick it old school, engineer boots are the 70's staple.

A decent set of combat boots works well. Cheap, accessible, and they have a look all their own. Lace them tight and you will get ok heel support. plus they are comfortable.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
double H steal square-toe harness boots.

USED to be cheap. mine are 15 years old and were around 150. now, a buddy told me they're more like 250!

great boots.

"blame it on the web, but the spider's your problem now."

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
16" Carolina linesman's boots. I also commute to work by bike in some 10", but otherwise identical Carolinas. I also ride in my Chuck Taylors because sometimes changing into dedicated footwear slows down an errand so much it's easier to just drive the fucking car. For the same reason, I've been spotted around town on the bike in traditional wooden soled clogs, but I can't in good conscience recommend those for riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
I've been spotted around town on the bike in traditional wooden soled clogs, but I can't in good conscience recommend those for riding a motorcycle.
...or leaving your house with your dick! sissy.

"blame it on the web, but the spider's your problem now."

·
Registered
306 Posts
i wear onitsuka tigers. they're good vintage running shoes, so if i ever fall off the cb125, i can quickly start running.

ps-boots are for cowboys and homos (and some gay cowboys, of course).

"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers." -Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Depends on what I'm riding. I've got a pair of Triumph branded riding boots that are sport oriented and then I use a pair of steel toed logger boots.

I wear boots. The last grasping nancy that gave me shit about them got beat up and sold to the crack monkeys for ass-fodder. Of course that was before I became the nice upstanding fellow I am now. Ya fucking tennis shoe wearing pillow jocky.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I heard bad stories about people who crashed and got serious ankle injuries so I use a Joe Rocket riding boot. I think they cost about $120.
They're not the best for walking, I wouldn't want to wear them all day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
quote:
I heard bad stories about people who crashed and got serious ankle injuries so I use a Joe Rocket riding boot.
No kidding. I have commuted a few times in my work shoes (low top black Docs) and I'm sure I'd screw up my feet/ankles pretty bad if I went down at all. I've been using a pair of cheap black army boots, but they're looking like crap so I'll be replacing them with proper motorcycle boots ala Alpinestars pretty soon.

Ron Bullard
[email protected]

http://springvinmoto.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=pdx_ron

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
never knew i was a gay cowboy. i where sidi vertabrae boots everytime i ride a motorcycle (i'm not an off road cowboy). if the office/walk around thing splits up the ride, have something else to wear on hand. non riding boots generally suck for riding. riding boots are really good for riding. you do the math.
-parks

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
vans.

in the dirt, and on the street.

its the only way people seem to recognize me.

joe

i dont know shit

·
Registered
93 Posts
Vans are great for the halfpipe but on the bike I agree with parks - you can't go wrong with a good riding boot.

Joe

SBRacing
Columbus, Ohio
groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't trust my pumas to protect my ankles... Even on short rides I rarely wear tennis shoes. I've seen enough pictures of screwed up feet from crashes that I know better.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Sidi On-Road sympatex. Best boot out there. Comfortable, 100% waterproof (no joke) I have had mine for 2 years now. Been on road, trail and racing in 'em. Great boots. I actually have to get them re-soled. Boots NEVER last long enough for that to happen for me.

also, the sidi 'discovery' looks pretty good, more trail oriented.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

1 - 15 of 15 Posts