Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, how 'bout some dirt for us stay at home types......

tex

"dude, my boots feel like they are filled with rain slushies!"

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
I hate people who's names begin with Z....with their proper lines, and hanging off and fast riding and all that shit.

Zack...let us know what's up with your Dad when you get the chance, hope it's not too bad.
JohnnyB

PS. Quick summary. Phinney kicked butt (1st in I think pre-65, singles and 2nd in 500gp....behind ONLY Nicholes). Zack kicked butt, 1st ULWSV, 2nd in the 125 GP, probably something else I'm forgetting. JD took a second in MW(?)...which is simply amazing on that bike in my opinion. Frank C. ran in something like eight races I think.

Tim Courts had a spill....Zack will have the details later I'm sure. Weather was freakin awesome. About a zillion 50's on the track. Mary and I took Ruffo's sidecar out for a practice...didn't crash. Neither one of us has ever so much as touched a sidecar before. Bunch of Indian hand shift bikes were there racing.

Edited by - jbranson on Jun 13 2006 12:48:13 AM

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
We just got home. Tim is good spirits and I think dislocated his shoulder and broke his thumb. He went home tonight.

2nd in Open behind Nichols, 1st in Singles, and 1st in 500gp. Peter Davidsons B50 is real fast.

Zack running in ULT was great.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Oh, freakin great news. He's a way tough bastard, he'll be back in no time.

Man...1st in 500gp and 2nd in Open GP....people be honest, how many of you ever thought you'd be hearing Aaron say he did that. And unlike some meets with other clubs...there were a lot of people in these races. He officially no longer looks stupid riding a bike.

I remember looking in awe at people that won Open or 500gp...now I'm just confused.
JohnnyB

PS. Accomplished everything I wanted to putting Zack on that bike. Learned a whole lot about what these bikes can do, and about what can be done with the power they make. Learned a lot about what I SHOULD be doing. I think with 20 laps of practice on my bike he might be in the 1:29's on a 200gp bike. Within 4 laps he's riding essentialy the same bike I have, better than I do after probably 100 laps. But...I picked up two very good lines from him that I have no doubt will shave a second off my times. It was very rewarding to see one of my machines ridden like that....I see why other builders do it.

A remote kill switch....yes that's within my capabilites to build.

Edited by - jbranson on Jun 13 2006 01:12:27 AM

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Johnny, I thought that was you two on the sidecar! I overheard one of the sidecar guys desribe it as handling more like a sled.

Aaron, scribe the paint 1 micron-ish bigger than the hole you want to cut... should keep the paint from chipping past the area you want to remove.(and congrats of course!)

Good to see everyone! Y'all kicked ASS! Johnny, Mary, JD, Tim, Alex, Zack (of course), Frank, Tanner, Scott, Aaron....

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
That sidecar practice was some weird shit. Man those things seem dangerous to me. And to go fast you gotta have knads of steel and just toss them into the corner with no hesistation. I have even more respect for those guys(and girls) now. It's a serious, scary workout. I'm glad we did it...but it would take a long while for me to feel comfortable on one of those machines. Ain't no screwin around...you really gotta drive one of those. I'd say even more than solo bikes it's a riders machine....if you don't have the right people on one, you ain't going to win no matter how much power you have.
Thanks to John and Diane Ruffo for the chance to try it out....the dude makes you feel great when he shows that kind of confidence in you.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Good news about Tim. Zack- I admire you for keeping a cool head when you didn't know much about your dad.

I am more sore right now than I ever remember being. these were the fastest laps Matt and I have been on the sidecar to date and it was work. Having a left hand chair on that track sure isn't easy for beginners. We Followed the Essafs around for a session to get a left hand chair perspective and the lines were so different than a solo bike that at times I wasn't sure were to point it. Lucky for me Matt has a good amount of experience in the chair already.
The Dyna packed it in again, 2nd ignition failure in as many track sessions. Lucky for us the folks from my Saturday job had just come in to spectate and we got a points ignition installed and made the race. They even completed the timing and took a spin on it while we were out for the 200 race.

Had a lot of fun in 200 during the last 3 laps. It only took about 1 lap for the fast bikes to get out of sight and I was alone until Larry H came by on the B'Stone. Worked my butt off to stay with him and nearly got it at the line. Missed by half a wheel. Thanks Larry, that was a lot of fun for me.
bfd

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
PS. Quick summary. Phinney kicked butt (1st in I think pre-65, singles and 2nd in 500gp....behind ONLY Nicholes). Zack kicked butt, 1st ULWSV, 2nd in the 125 GP, probably something else I'm forgetting. JD took a second in MW(?)...which is simply amazing on that bike in my opinion. Frank C. ran in something like eight races I think.
Edited by - jbranson on Jun 13 2006 12:48:13 AM
JB,
I only ran 4 races cause I had to leave early. I don't think I could have done the last 2 races...I'm still conpletely beat.
The 200 GP was one of the best races I've ever had...even though you beat me. It sure was fun.
I just didn't want to run as fast as you young guys in ULSV. Maybe I should get Opiela to ride my bike. Zack and Rob would put on a good show.
You should enter Lightweight Supervintage. It was fun running with the 350's.

FC

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
ULSV

THOSE DARN HONDAS!!! If I only could learn to launch the Yamaha I'd be right there!!

Champ
Come on! I waited for you after JB and Zack disappeared and you still didn't catch me.;)

FC (BTW I was on a YAMAHA street bike)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
yeah, champ, Frank was S L O W and kept looking back for you, and you kept inching up, but Frank was too far ahead . .

Frank, you would have been proud of me in singles. Great race!! I am still trying to get the controversy over placing settled, though. And a good thing you had to leave. Aaron took first, then M. Elliot, then I think I was 3rd, though the scorers think differently . . . and the bike ran better than it ever has. I think I had it just on the edge of 2 or 3 degrees too far advanced. . . . so When I went out for singles it was the tits.

s

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I forgot to mention I took a lap time of 1.42 on Joe Ruth on the 70cc Rieju. The race was cut from 5 laps to 3 and he nearly caught Hiroshi who started in the 1st wave. Fun to watch
bfd

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
By the way, we weighed bikes.
Larrys Derbi was 209.
Tanner's Reiju was 168!!!!
Ruth's reiju was also 208, as I remember.
BFD's 175 was 251 and my 175 without tank was 208 ! ! !

(that's what I remember)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Glad to hear Tim is okay... Racing was great all weekend.. Johnny battling Frank then Zack was a blast to watch... I'll monkey for anyone that needs one... Rabbi was the iron man and was no where to be seen in FCB (as in so far a head). I hope to finally get that PVL doped out during the break but thanks again for the help to all (Johnny,again) on that..
Great to see everyone and I'm stoked everyone did well.
Tim and Dillon get well soon!

J "no really, it was the switch" D

·
Registered
242 Posts
quote:
Had a lot of fun in 200 during the last 3 laps. It only took about 1 lap for the fast bikes to get out of sight and I was alone until Larry H came by on the B'Stone. Worked my butt off to stay with him and nearly got it at the line. Missed by half a wheel. Thanks Larry, that was a lot of fun for me.
bfd

Thanks Bill, that race was the most fun I've had on the track to date. I also had some fun on the Derbi drag racing Joe Ruth down the straight, inching ahead of him until he showed me how turn one could be done and walked away.
Larry

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
Frank,
That 200gp race was the toughest I can remember. Just couldn't shake you. Did a few maneuvers that I thought would do it but I'd look back and you'd be right there. Plus I had to run some lines I normally wouldn't cause I knew I couldn't leave you room or you'd use it. I guess you could call it fun...it was more frantic to me, I was running for my life. I remember the last lap going through turn one and you were still right on me...I knew you'd try to make your move and take the win that last lap so I just had to hold you off a little bit longer. I don't think I've ever looked behind me so many times in a race.
Didn't you get by me into turn three once...if I remember right I came back by in the braking zone to 3...I actually said to myself...I'm going to out brake him here or I'm going to crash. Luckily racing with you I know I can do some unusual moves and it won't bother you...cause you are the champion of unusual moves.

I'm glad Matt wasn't on the bike :)

Bill, Mary has a fast time of about 1:39 on her 200gp bike...so 1:42 on the Reiju is moving. Of course Zack squeaked out a 1:34.2 on the same bike.

Wish we could do this once a month in the summer.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
JohnnyB
Is Mary's bike now the same internally as yours? I remember it wasn't awhile ago. When she got some empty track she rode away.

I bummed I didn't get to watch you and Zack race together. Had so much going on I missed some good viewing.

Joe R. was just flying on that Rieju. We had never put a stopwatch on it before so had no idea what kind of times people were turning. I only got 1 lap timed and wasn't able to time Hiroshi or anyone else.
It was a pretty large field
bfd

1 - 20 of 55 Posts