Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding my bike and it felt like something started to drag, then a clicking noise, i get it home and find this. What happened?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
arou you missing an axle spacer? aside from the cush drive rubbers failing (which happens rarely) I can;t think of any reason that the rear wheel would shift off the carrier like that unless there was room inside the swingarm to do it, so check your spacers....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think anyone could send me a pic of this side not messed up, to see if there is a spacer? its a 72 CB500

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
im pretty sure youre missing a spacer, but if you were, the chain would be all fucking out of alignment.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh, and that clicking noise, its your shock bolt hitting the sprocket nuts.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
there is a retainer that screws in and holds that all in place i think. like a large flat flanged thing you use a drift to remove and install. if that loosened up, it would allow that cush drive assembly to move out like that. the spacer for that side i believe is housed inside of the assembly since it acts also a spacer for the inner race of the bearing. i could not be rmemebering everything though. look at a parts microfisch though. i bet youd find you answer there. my guess is the spacer is there, but the retainer unscrewed, allowing the cush drive to slide out. thats pretty scary.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh yeah, that retainer is under the sprocket/chain guide thinger. the stamped metal thinkg that sits over the sprocket. you can actually see the bump/dish where that retainer goes, in the pressing of the chain thing.

let us know what it is.

jc

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am picking up a whole new rear axle assembly tommorrow, will update on what i find. It had new wheel bearings in last month.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I must concur, sounds like the new bearing install didn't work out

you will likely find you need another sprocket carrier and those associated bits

that's messed up

quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

I'm gonna guess the outboard bearing went out allowing sprocket carrier to slide over.
quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

I'm gonna guess the outboard bearing went out allowing sprocket carrier to slide over.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh yeah, if you didnt have the spacer in there, on that side, the wheel would be doing some very strange things. not just the sprocket carrier.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it has been a long time since I had a cb550 wheel off in the back but IIRC those wheel bearings are not exposed, there should be at the very least a washer or something keeping pressure off the face of the bearing. pull it apart and see if the bearing shifted/failed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Honda shop that installed the new wheel bearings did not torque the bearing retainer nut. It backed out and caused the destruction. They are fixing it, more tommorrow.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
woohoo! i win. now what do i get?

yeah, its a pretty simple job to do actually. just a dirty one.

jc

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Hopefully when they replace the wheel bearings they put the spacer that sits between the wheel bearing inside the hub back in...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts