Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a rectifier and what does it do?

This bike is a CB750k5

I have some electric gremlins and I am trying to sort them out.

When I hit the starter button, nothing happens. It was working the other day until I had some light issues then it stopped. When i bridge the gap on the starter rely it turns over.

The starter button is brand new.

Does the rectifier have anything to do with the starting system?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The rectifier converts the alternating current produced by the alternator(clever name, huh) into direct current that is needed by the ignition system. It has nothing to do with the starter solenoid. I would suspect that you blew a fuse with the light problem which affected the power to the starter button.
Ken

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ken,
I guess I should have googled Rectifier before asking here. I found out what it was about ten seconds after finishing my post.

The fuses are all good.

Does the starter motor safety unit effect the starter? Could I have fried that unit?

I have an after market left switch and the clutch switch has been bypassed.

The lights aren't working right now either but i think that is linked to not having the the headlight or tailight connected.

I have the turn signals hooked up but they are not working any more either.

Auggg.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
its time to start doing the usual electrical checks. Check all the fuses. Check to see if you get 12V at the starter solenoid when you press the starter button. You are going to need to get a wiring diagram and just start checking it out.
Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts