Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, though I have been lurking for some time now. I recently acquired a 1977 CB550K off of Craigslist that came to me as a basket case. I'm slowly getting the parts needed to complete the rebuild, but there is one part that is perplexing me.....can anyone tell me what exactly this thing is? I've gone through the parts fiche a dozen times and can't find it....did this guy give me extra parts to other bikes just to mess with my head? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Oh yeah, it has a rubberized coating to it (its wearing off though) and the dimensions are about 80mm by 65mm.

Eschew Obfuscation

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
That did not come off a CB550. I would vote for John Deere or Allis-Chalmers. Perhaps a 63 Rambler American 220.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:
That did not come off a CB550. I would vote for John Deere or Allis-Chalmers. Perhaps a 63 Rambler American 220.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes
Funny.
My dad had a '63 Rambler American 220. I learned how to drive in that car. I don't think it had any parts of that high quality in it though.
Maybe the John Deere. PTO shaft seal...?

FR

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, thanks for the responses.....I think I scratched a bald spot on my head trying to figure out where that thing went.....I figured it was a muffler bearing or some sort of seal to hold in the blinker fluid....guess it's going on the shelf with the rest of the junk parts....

Eschew Obfuscation

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
We could really use something in the pic for size frame of reference. Doesn't look like anything off my 550 either but looks suspiciously like the seal in the firewall of my GTO where the steering column passes through. However it looks a little small too.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
quote:
We could really use something in the pic for size frame of reference. Doesn't look like anything off my 550 either but looks suspiciously like the seal in the firewall of my GTO where the steering column passes through. However it looks a little small too.
Hehehe...good call Geeto...yes it does look like one of those :)
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Too small to be a steering column seal.

I say a PTO seal....whatever it is, it looks like it's been molested quite often.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Too small to be a steering column seal.

I say a PTO seal....whatever it is, it looks like it's been molested quite often.
JohnnyB
agreed. What ever it is it is some kind of seal for a shaft. It uses a spring closure around the rubber like some of the 2-stroke crank seals but on a plate I have no idea.

·
Registered
453 Posts
looks almost like the end cap on the rear torsion housing on an air cooled beetle.

fat people are harder to kidnap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts