Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....the son to be wife and I are talking about doing more toruing on a bike and I am thinking I might actually look for a new two up mount to replace the 1975 cb750 that has served us so well. I will still own the bike but it is starting to get to be too much with the 2 of us and like 100 lbs of apples on the bike during the fall season.

I am not really into buying new and two of the bikes I am looking at were lust objects of mine in college in the 1990s: a Honda Shadow A.C.E (prefferably touring) and a Honda Magna. I was also considering a v-max but unless I buy one from the 1980s they are kind of out of my price range....

so what do you guys think? if you had to carry a wife/girfriend/cheap bar tramp what would you rock?

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I think with each of the passengers in your list would mean different bike. With a cheap bar tramp you could get by with a lot less passenger comfort than a wife would require. Since you're getting married soon, and you're cb750 isn't what's working, I don't think you'd be better off with a Shadow. A buddy of mine had a V65 and carried a lot on it with his wife and luggage. I've got a V-strom with a givi trunk and that seems to meet our needs.

Craig

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Actually, my Triumph Thunderbird is a very nice 2-up ride, except the stock seat absolutely sucks for the passenger. You can get a king/queen seat tho. Got mine for $150 brand new on eBay (seat, not bike). Used bikes seem to be in the $3000-$5000 range, and they all have low miles.

Why no st1100, or st2/4? That's what I'd be looking for.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the wifey won't tolerate anything with a sportbike stance/riding position so most new bikes and new standards are out. I was looking at a ZRX but they have yet to brake the $3000 mark which is my price ceiling and the seat is kind of high. The A.C.E is a shadow, just a prettier one than the standard model. the touring one reminds me of an old 1950s toaster with the teal and white scallop paint. Plus it is water cooled.

I hate the thunderbird, really the motor is great but I just don't like the way it looks. I contemplated a new bonnie but that would put us back in the same position with the cb750.

BTW, it isn't that the cb750 is uncomfortable, she loves it, it is just that we are getting to the point where we are overloading it every weekend trip.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought a 03 ZRX 1200R from a salvage yard in Philly with a clean title for 2200. Had 13k miles on it. The front forks were bent and the headlight bracket was bent. Straightned the bracket in the vise, got a set of slightly damaged used front forks from a guy on the ZRXOA forum (awesome forum, very active) for 150 shipped. Had enough to build a solid set and ended up with a complete, clean ride.

My wife loves the passenger accomodations. Only gripe was that maybe the pegs could stand to be about an inch lower.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I want to replace my Harley Sportster with either a 70's-80's Guzzi Ambassador or BMW. My wife and I "tried on" a R100RS and she thought it would be OK. She is not a small woman. The ideal two up ride would be a.... ummmm..... Gold Wing, but neither you nor I are old enough for one of those yet.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Goldwing, either GL1000 or GL1100. Get the naked version and put on a smaller fairing. I would see if I could get the Supersport fairing from the CBX to fit on it. They are available for a fair price, will run forever except for a few known areas of preventive maintenance, like cam belts end rearend drive spline lube. Certainly a classic and will haul you and the MRS. around.

Ken

·
Registered
105 Posts
I gotta love my wife for riding on the back of the R1. I wouldn't

·
Registered
353 Posts
i vote for the shaft drive 8V Suzis too. They go forever. It's a tough motor and a good, moderately powerful bike. Handles well, looks good (if you stay away from the "l" versions). The 1100 has the most power, the 850 the cheapest price.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i vote for the shaft drive 8V Suzis too. They go forever. It's a tough motor and a good, moderately powerful bike. Handles well, looks good (if you stay away from the "l" versions). The 1100 has the most power, the 850 the cheapest price.

I had the early chain drive version, which was an amazing bike in every way, but the guys who own shafties looooove them.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Geeto

Pound for pound the goldwing is the only way to go for two up touring. I've got several in the shop now that could meet your price. I just took one GL 1200 in tonight as a matter of fact. I've also got one GL1200 on the floor now that set up as a naked ride.

With or without what we have on the floor - GL is still my top pick.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pound for pound I draw the line at the goldwing. If it isn't a 1975-77 naked model I am not interested. Frankly I am not a fan of the RV on two wheels, period. Plus, this new bike will be outside parked on the street under a cover and will do more city duty than highway, so the GL1200 is out. It if can't be lane split it is of no use to me.

my buddy has a new one and he doesn't find it funny everytime I point out that his gauge cluster is the exact same one from the previous generation honda civic.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Then go with a 75 - 77 naked wing. That would be my first choice anyway.

Ken

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
One last option that might be overlooked - how about setting up the wife with her own bike to ride. You already have the bikes - use them...

I don't see the difference between a 75 - 77 naked wing and an 83 naked wing, naked is naked... We pulled off all the RV stuff on this one bike just for guys looking for a naked wing. As far as handling, you'd be surprised how well they can handle. Somewhere on U tube there is a guy on a wing going through the dragon filming another guy on a duc and keeping up.... I was impressed.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
she used to ride, but NYC is a little too overwhelming for her. We sold her bike last year.

Flat out the bike is too big, even an earlier wing. I happen to have a soft spot for the 75-77 wings so that was why it was a possible consideration but I still think the bike is too big.

other opinions? options? Anybody with a v-max want to weigh in?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hard to go wrong with an old BMW. Very roomy for two and plenty of power for a wife-on-the-back pace. My '84 has twin shocks with no-tools pre load adjustment if you want to carry somebody. The RT has a big fairing that gets hot in the summer. An RS might be a little lighter and city friendly. The bags come off easy if it's too wide for splitting traffic.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I agree on the Airhead. Although my wife rides her own bike now, my bmws handled two up riding very well. I will be converting my R100 back to a two-up configuration in the next year or so as my daughter becomes old enough to ride on the back. You can pick up a nice 1980ties airhead for under $3000. Electronic ignition, simple as shit to work on and will take you across the country in comfort with little headaches.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts