Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a cafe from a 77 Yamaha triple. Looking at the first generation hayabusa forks would those work?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Anything can be made to work but is it suitable, that's the real question.

Hayabusa uses a USD fork, the bike weighs in at ~500 pounds and it produces ~170 horsepower.
XS750 used RSU forks, the bike weighed ~500 pounds and it produced about 64 horsepower, if it does not mysteriously jump out of second gear.

The Hayabusa frame those USD forks came off is stronger and far more rigid, the steering head bearing is most likely taper roller bearings instead of loose round balls.
The Hayabusa 6 piston front brakes were designed to suit a motorcycle with near 3 times as much horsepower.
Hayabusa runs on 17 inch rims that fit modern radial tires that are light years ahead of the 19 and 18 inch rims and tires you are replacing :/ well the front wheel anyway.

What you are entertaining is about the same as taking the front wheels, suspension & brakes off a modern Porshe 911 and tacking them onto a 1977 VW Beetle. You are going to have a really nice front end being followed by a POS.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
this one looks reasonable and appears to be an upgrade. ... the front end that is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this one looks reasonable and appears to be an upgrade. ... the front end that is.
This is a gorgeous bike I'm going to do my best to make this happen thank you

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Those are 1st gen R6 (99-02) forks on that bike.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
That's a nicely done xs, the R6 legs look much better than USD. Needs to drop a size or two on that front tire.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
That's a nice looking XS with a fancy paint job. I like the R6 fork upgrade. Not sure what wheels would work best with the shaft drive. I guess stock would be easiest.

The small pods are not a smart idea. Cheap pods restrict airflow in a number of ways. Go with large Uni filters. Lack of a rear fender for me is a job stopper. Too much crap and water gets thrown up into the motor. A small inner fender would work fine. Despite what people say, CV carbs can work well with pods - just not on DOHC Hondas. Those carbs are a nightmare. back in the day, teh hot ticket was a set of decent cams, bigger bores and Mikuni CV carbs.

Old bikes were tail heavy so moving the seating position forwards is usually a good idea. On that bike with a stock tank, it makes no difference. The rider is still in more or less the stock position but maybe a little lower.

To the OP's point, get the ergonomics right for you. For example, low bars and stock footpegs make for a bike that is too uncomfortable to ride. Don't move the bars too low or the pegs too far back and you will be in the right ballpark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts