Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what kind of rear suspension/ shocks these are (please see photo)
I haven’t been able to find what style or brand they are but they are exactly what I am after for my upcoming project build
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Oh my, do you want to know what else is wrong with it? The rear brake needs attention before you trust your life with it.

and how could that rear tire Not eat your manhood at some point.

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
95 Posts
tom, if you're looking mostly for concealed springs, the vintage british stuff from the1950s and 60s might work.

upper shroud is generally painted, but these can be disassembled and plated. the common ones i know about are 13 inches, center to center

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tom, if you're looking mostly for concealed springs, the vintage british stuff from the1950s and 60s might work.

upper shroud is generally painted, but these can be disassembled and plated. the common ones i know about are 13 inches, center to center
Thankyou very much speedrattle that’s a great suggestion. What sort of brands are out there that you can suggest looking at ?

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Brands? :sneaky: "the vintage british stuff from the1950s and 60s" is not a brand of spring/shock absorber, it's a reference to half century old obsolete parts that you might find at a scrap yard.

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
95 Posts
you can still buy the shrouded shocks. here's some distributors to start with

most of these are probably duplicates of a few identical imported parts from emgo, a taiwanese supplier that imports from various oriental manufacturers. they aren't high performance parts, but i've gone 112 mph at the races on a pair. the last link has a selection of lengths and spring rates.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
For what it's worth, here is the original Honda part for that bike:
Honda 52400-MF5-753 SHOCK ABSORBER ASSY., R. RR. (KAYABA)

The VHD sticker that came on it implied the shock has Variable Hydraulic Dampening. But in reality it is an obsolete POS shock absorber.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what kind of rear suspension/ shocks these are (please see photo)
I haven’t been able to find what style or brand they are but they are exactly what I am after for my upcoming project build
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
View attachment 104317
I think they may be Fournals or something like that. They were a French air shock that was around a number of decades ago.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
Has anyone ever seen twin shocks that did not have rubber mount points on both ends?
The cylinders in the photo have plain spherical bearing heim joints in both ends.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If they are a shock, where is the space for wheel travel? Do you need a wide crack in your ass to ride it?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Those aren’t shocks. They are pneumatic cylinders. Non-functioning air cylinders by the look of it. I don’t see any fittings on them. For them to work, the air supply would need to be fitted at the bottom, and I can’t see anything suggesting fittings at the bottom end. (Even what I can see of the one on the other side)

Reactions: crazypj
1 - 16 of 16 Posts